• The KillerFrogs

2021 Frog Baseball (General)

Paint It Purple

Everyone I know that played for Frank try to keep in touch with him even today. The rest of us common folk only remember the bad taste of his AD mishaps, but it’s time to let that go. Another thing.... do you realize (I know you do, PIP) that the pitching staffs on those early 70’s teams consisted of 5 or 6 guys? It was Johnstone, Cole, Grace, and ? during my time, and a couple of other guys I can’t remember because they didn’t see much PT. Actually, the entire roster had no room for depth. Those guys played every game...all year. Now we have a punch of pussies who take off for hang nails. Millenials.
Pitchers also included Sonny Cason, Broyles, Fusco, Carden, Gene Burton would come in from CF a time or two. There’s one more but years are obscuring some names. 14-10 in SWC 74 and 75, one more win at UT would have earned a ring. As far tough...I remember Carden dislocating (recurring) his shoulder diving for a ball in LF and stayed in the game. Lassiter played with his jaws wired shut. 30 wins both those years.

Last edited:

Paint It Purple

Frank was a complete useless fool as an AD. When we won the SWC in 1994 he started hanging out in our dugout about mid April when we had really started playing well. Dude hadn't given 1 tiny [ #2020 ] about us the previous 4 years I'd been there and we had guys on the team who honest to god had no idea who he was. I remember one of our freshmen asking me why LB's dad was in our dugout.
I don’t doubt you one bit. I do think you have to realize that Frank was a remnant of an era gone by. College athletics weren’t big business yet when he was learning under Dutch, Abe and Buster. The AD’s job was just a reward for loyally hanging around long enough.

Punter1

Frank was a complete useless fool as an AD. When we won the SWC in 1994 he started hanging out in our dugout about mid April when we had really started playing well. Dude hadn't given 1 tiny [ #2020 ] about us the previous 4 years I'd been there and we had guys on the team who honest to god had no idea who he was. I remember one of our freshmen asking me why LB's dad was in our dugout.

Yea...thats kinda why I asked the question. Was hoping he was a better coach than AD.

Paint It Purple

Yea...thats kinda why I asked the question. Was hoping he was a better coach than AD.
He was, but he couldn’t beat Gustafson. Really he kinda rolled the ball out there and some good ball players did the rest. That might not be the best endorsement, but I’ve seen too many coaches that would manage to screw up a good thing.

Moose Stuff

He was, but he couldn’t beat Gustafson. Really he kinda rolled the ball out there and some good ball players did the rest. That might not be the best endorsement, but I’ve seen too many coaches that would manage to screw up a good thing.

He wasn't alone in his difficulties with Cliff. I was at TCU from 89-94 and I believe we went 0-15 against them from 89-93 (one of those seasons the SWC had us playing each other 6 times) before sweeping them in FW in 94.

Eight

I don’t doubt you one bit. I do think you have to realize that Frank was a remnant of an era gone by. College athletics weren’t big business yet when he was learning under Dutch, Abe and Buster. Jobs in the TCU athletic department are just a reward for loyally hanging around long enough.

fixed it for you

ftwfrog

Let’s let the expert decide.

Maniac, better AD: Frank the Tank or ADJD ??

PurpleBlood87

Let’s let the expert decide.

Maniac, better AD: Frank the Tank or ADJD ??

Frank did have Swell Mel Thomas to help him. During basketball season one of Thomas' main responsibilities was going through the student section before games and trying to remove all the newspapers the students had brought to read during the opposing teams introductions because most ended up thrown on the court.