• The KillerFrogs

2021 Frog Baseball (General)

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Because...like so many other teams presently, they are clowns when it comes to uniforms. See also, Louisville, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Mississippi State, and Ohio.

7z1kln3xtav01.jpg
Wow, they actually wore those in public?!?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I had Windegger as an AD...what was your opinion of him as a HC??

When I said us, I meant TCU. My opinion would be as spectator only. I will say he had some very good teams. Tied UT one year and lost going on by flipping a coin in Waco ( guess who won that). Some really talented players-Glenn Monroe who busted up a knee in triple A giving Buddy Bell the open door the next year, Don Bodenhamer, the Turners, and Frank Johnstone was a an absolute beast that turned down the Red Sox to be a doctor.

Westsider

When I said us, I meant TCU. My opinion would be as spectator only. I will say he had some very good teams. Tied UT one year and lost going on by flipping a coin in Waco ( guess who won that). Some really talented players-Glenn Monroe who busted up a knee in triple A giving Buddy Bell the open door the next year, Don Bodenhamer, the Turners, and Frank Johnstone was a an absolute beast that turned down the Red Sox to be a doctor.

Look up Johnstone’s career stats if you want to see something amazing.

Paint It Purple

Frank was a really good fundamental baseball coach. I really don’t know how or what he did to recruit so well, but he did. Hoosier mentioned 3 really great ones. Johnstone was phenomenal. By his Jr and Sr years he rarely worked out with us because coach would let him study or go to labs etc. Yet he was still All SWC. Phil Turner was the best pure baseball player I was ever around. The 74 and 75 teams were really talented and Frank handled all that talent very well. He was easy going and I think everyone played hard for him and I credit him for the good chemistry. Those were fun teams and good guys led by a coach that everyone respected and liked. That’s my 2 cents.

Westsider

Everyone I know that played for Frank try to keep in touch with him even today. The rest of us common folk only remember the bad taste of his AD mishaps, but it’s time to let that go. Another thing.... do you realize (I know you do, PIP) that the pitching staffs on those early 70’s teams consisted of 5 or 6 guys? It was Johnstone, Cole, Grace, and ? during my time, and a couple of other guys I can’t remember because they didn’t see much PT. Actually, the entire roster had no room for depth. Those guys played every game...all year. Now we have a punch of pussies who take off for hang nails. Millenials.

Moose Stuff

Frank was a complete useless fool as an AD. When we won the SWC in 1994 he started hanging out in our dugout about mid April when we had really started playing well. Dude hadn't given 1 tiny [ Finebaum ] about us the previous 4 years I'd been there and we had guys on the team who honest to god had no idea who he was. I remember one of our freshmen asking me why LB's dad was in our dugout.

FWSTC Hfrog

Frank was a really good fundamental baseball coach. I really don’t know how or what he did to recruit so well, but he did. Hoosier mentioned 3 really great ones. Johnstone was phenomenal. By his Jr and Sr years he rarely worked out with us because coach would let him study or go to labs etc. Yet he was still All SWC. Phil Turner was the best pure baseball player I was ever around. The 74 and 75 teams were really talented and Frank handled all that talent very well. He was easy going and I think everyone played hard for him and I credit him for the good chemistry. Those were fun teams and good guys led by a coach that everyone respected and liked. That’s my 2 cents.
My memory of those years seem to differ from what you described.