• The KillerFrogs

Tech baseball increasing seating to 75 percent this weekend

PurpleBlood87

Texas Tech Baseball to allow increased fan capacity this weekend

By Blair Sabol | March 8, 2021 at 7:28 PM CST - Updated March 9 at 1:10 AM
LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - “We were really excited about baseball and what the potential was. The team was ranked number two in the country, you had been to the college world series four of the previous six years,” senior associate athletic director Robert Giovannetti recalled this time last March. “It was disappointing.”

There’s no doubt the pandemic put a damper on spring fever for baseball last year.

But Giovannetti is hoping for a “home run” with fans back in the stands at an expected 75% capacity beginning this Friday.

https://www.kcbd.com/2021/03/09/texas-tech-baseball-allow-increased-fan-capacity-this-weekend/

HFrog1999

I’m pretty sure if you go to 75% you might as well go all the way. Is there really going to be that much of a difference?

giphy.gif

SuperTFrog

Didn’t ATO post on here that they are beholden to the Big12 rules and that TCU couldn’t change on their own? I guess this means that the big 12 has approved it?

flyfishingfrog

Didn’t ATO post on here that they are beholden to the Big12 rules and that TCU couldn’t change on their own? I guess this means that the big 12 has approved it?
and the NCAA - guess I missed the big announcement from the NCAA and Big12 on how they were adjusting their requirements....maybe Tech rebuilt their stadium in the last couple of weeks to create more spacing

Pharm Frog

What’s the conference gonna do? If Tech says, “We’re going to 75% are they gonna tell them we’ll shut you down and make you ineligible for postseason tourney?” Zero chance. Tech made the decision and might have informed the conference.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Just spitballing here. Tech is a state school with sovereign immunity. TCU is a private school that can get its pants sued off. Could this have an impact?

flyfishingfrog

Just spitballing here. Tech is a state school with sovereign immunity. TCU is a private school that can get its pants sued off. Could this have an impact?
ah - yes - leave it a lawyer to point out that someone would potentially sue our school because of a risk they might be exposed while engaging in a purely voluntary activity...

pretty much summarizes everything wrong with our legal system in one statement.

steelfrog

Tier 1
ah - yes - leave it a lawyer to point out that someone would potentially sue our school because of a risk they might be exposed while engaging in a purely voluntary activity...

pretty much summarizes everything wrong with our legal system in one statement.

Steel is very sorry to burst your bubble Karen, but there have been so far nearly 9,000 complaints (i.e. federal court cases) filed in the US related to COVID (655 in Texas)(400 against educational institutions), and no doubt many times that number in state courts:

https://www.huntonak.com/en/covid-19-tracker.html

Sometimes reality intrudes...

PurpleBlood87

I wonder if this post on the athletic ticket page covers being sued?

An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place. COVID-19 is a contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. According to health experts, senior citizens and guests with previous medical conditions are especially vulnerable.

By attending a TCU event, you voluntarily assume all risks associated to exposure to COVID-19 or other communicable illnesses.