• The KillerFrogs

I have been a basketball season ticket holder since the Tubbs era

Genbukan

He hasn’t recruited one shooter. It is almost impossible in this day and age to win without them. Dixon would be better off not chasing stars and get somebody that can make a shot.

I can't understand what changed. He went from bringing in shooters like Bane Fisher and Noi to what we see now. Miles is obviously the exception...that kid is a baller.

Wexahu

I can't understand what changed. He went from bringing in shooters like Bane Fisher and Noi to what we see now. Miles is obviously the exception...that kid is a baller.

No real point guard and an offensive system that just doesn’t generate enough open looks and good shots. I don’t think we have a bunch of great shooters, but they aren’t being put in the best positions to succeed either.

LVH

I think we need to make a coaching change as well, however, it drives me nuts when people think the only way to play basketball in 2021 is to play fast paced uptempo run and gun basketball. Teams can be just as good playing slow paced fundamentally sound half court basketball that doesn't waste offensive possessions and plays good defense.

The most recent NCAA champion was ranked dead last in pace. And the team they beat in that title game was toward the bottom in pace as well. Villanova, the team that won the title before that, doesn't really play fast either. Jay Wright errs on the slow side, this year his teams are in the bottom 30 in pace.

Bad fast paced basketball is even harder to watch than bad slow paced basketball.

Wexahu

I think we need to make a coaching change as well, however, it drives me nuts when people think the only way to play basketball in 2021 is to play fast paced uptempo run and gun basketball. Teams can be just as good playing slow paced fundamentally sound half court basketball that doesn't waste offensive possessions and plays good defense.

The most recent NCAA champion was ranked dead last in pace. And the team they beat in that title game was toward the bottom in pace as well. Villanova, the team that won the title before that, doesn't really play fast either. Jay Wright errs on the slow side, this year his teams are in the bottom 30 in pace.

Bad fast paced basketball is even harder to watch than bad slow paced basketball.

Totally agree. The idea you have to run up and down the floor and put up quick shots in order to win makes no sense. It’s actually probably the opposite of that if you look at who is actually winning games.

It’s much the same in football too. It’s almost like as long as you score a bunch of points, winning or losing doesn’t really matter

MadFrog

JD and his coaches just can't evaluate a recruit. How many NBA players can't make a dunk? And Samuel is considering leaving early??? How many did Samual blow today? And players like Todd, Pearson and Fuller are not D1 quality. And the offense of RJ walking the ball up to dribble for 4 or 5 seconds in the middle of the court, many times until RJ turns it over. Who else in D1 runs that? JD has to go.

Wog68

JD and his coaches just can't evaluate a recruit. How many NBA players can't make a dunk? And Samuel is considering leaving early??? How many did Samual blow today? And players like Todd, Pearson and Fuller are not D1 quality. And the offense of RJ walking the ball up to dribble for 4 or 5 seconds in the middle of the court, many times until RJ turns it over. Who else in D1 runs that? JD has to go.
It would be ok if Samuel left early. Would wish him well in whatever endeavor he chooses.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
This is Daugherty/Christian level of bad basketball. I don't understand it with Dixon although I think I agree with some that he simply no longer wants to be here, but can't be fired and he won't resign.

A lot of us wanted Dixon when Johnson was hired, and we were doing backflips when Dixon came. But the steady downfall of this program is tremendous.

We have no power inside game, ball handling at the top is poor, I have no idea what we want to do on offense. Shooting is terrible, free throw shooting is bad, fundamental basketball non-existent, recruiting is apparently bad with the exception of Miles. It is painful to watch the sloppy, ineptitude of these players and coaching.

I hate to say it but Dixon needs to go one way or another.

And what happened on the Hawaii trip that some are referencing?

East Coast

Tier 1
Yup, when the head coach wants to leave, let him go, regardless of buyout.

Shoulda leaned this lesson with Sullivan.

Not trying to bashing any player or their efforts, but it’s clear JD does not want to be the coach of TCU.
While I agree with you Sullivan was 25 years ago and TCU was well known to be a stepping stone for him. Sullivan obviously started mailing it in after that. JD, while his heart may not be in it, sure looks like he is trying. Sullivan's buyout wasn't a lot, even by 1990's standards. Dixon has a significant buyout, and he and UCLA weren't even able to come up with 1/3 of it. Maybe the best course in each case was to let them go and sue them for the buyout. With the improvements Dixon had made his first couple of years, we had a good shot to get a pretty good coach.

Froggish

While I agree with you Sullivan was 25 years ago and TCU was well known to be a stepping stone for him. Sullivan obviously started mailing it in after that. JD, while his heart may not be in it, sure looks like he is trying. Sullivan's buyout wasn't a lot, even by 1990's standards. Dixon has a significant buyout, and he and UCLA weren't even able to come up with 1/3 of it. Maybe the best course in each case was to let them go and sue them for the buyout. With the improvements Dixon had made his first couple of years, we had a good shot to get a pretty good coach.

I never thought Dixon was the answer to turn TCU basketball all the way around, but have always felt he was the right hire to raise our profile and get us moving towards the right direction. When this job comes open in the next couple of years it will have some very solid applicants and they will have everything they need to be successful.

My point is we needed to hire Dixon to prepare us for big time hoops. We’ve been respectable in the toughest league in the country. The next guy will have to be better than respectable

MTfrog5

Totally agree. The idea you have to run up and down the floor and put up quick shots in order to win makes no sense. It’s actually probably the opposite of that if you look at who is actually winning games.

It’s much the same in football too. It’s almost like as long as you score a bunch of points, winning or losing doesn’t really matter
I agree with both of y’all but I’d almost rather go tempo with this group because they are athletic and not great shooters. Our half court offense is so bad I’d see that the least amount possible