• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

Brog

Were any of you around when the Moudy Building was put up on the corner of University and Cantey? Fortunate that nothing like Frog Forum existed then, but the uproar was terrific. Why in God's name (all right, as we're a Christian University) did they decide to put a building like that up on our nice campus. Experts galore, from lawyers to doctors to high school teachers to McDonald clerks expressed their outrage. But, they kept it as is, and it's what we have today. Wanna discuss its appropriateness on campus?

mcdaddy

For what it's worth, I think its exterior style is fairly consistent with some of TCU's recent buildings:

HYP_2076.jpg

Not disagreeing, but more just curious: what Flags do y'all think would have made more sense?
Many.

However, Hyatt Place generally makes you stick to their show (design, F&B, FF&E, etc.). The two largest decisions for choosing Hyatt were likely a low ADR (average daily rate) and, well, one of our fomer Board of Trustees used this as his on campus pilot project (not suggesting there is anything wrong with that). The guy clearly knows that he is doing from a $ standpoint.

I would have preferred that a Hyatt or Marriott operate the facility and give cart blanch as to design, F&B, FF&E, etc. (which is becoming more popular with boutique hotels and specialty hotels a la Hyatt's Unbound Collection and Marriott's Autograph Collection).

Last edited:

ticketfrog123

Many.

However, Hyatt Place generally makes you stick to their show (design, F&B, FF&E, etc.). The two largest decisions for choosing Hyatt were likely a low ADR (average daily rate) and, well, one of our fomer Board of Trustees used this as his on campus pilot project (not suggesting there is anything wrong with that). The guy clearly knows that he is doing from a $ standpoint.

I would have preferred that a Hyatt or Marriott operate the facility and give cart blanch as to design, F&B, FF&E, etc. (which is becoming more popular with boutique hotels and specialty hotels a la Hyatt's Unbound Collection and Marriott's Autograph Collection).

disagree that anything above entry level was plausible given the purpose of the hotel. Wasn’t the press release focusing on this being a family friendly and modest option for guests wanting to stay near campus for events and prospective students?

hyatt place and SpringHill suites (Marriott) are the only major concepts that mandate a pull out couch - which is key for families, etc. (not familiar with Hilton but I’m sure they have similar) — have you been to the Sinclair downtown FW? Excited to see how that turned out (think it’s signature or autograph collection)

The closest hotel options are poorly run and maintained (whatever is by silver fox / Apple store)

despite the lower brand prestige, this thing will probably charge over $300/night during football season

disagree that anything above entry level was plausible given the purpose of the hotel. Wasn’t the press release focusing on this being a family friendly and modest option for guests wanting to stay near campus for events and prospective students?

hyatt place and SpringHill suites (Marriott) are the only major concepts that mandate a pull out couch - which is key for families, etc. (not familiar with Hilton but I’m sure they have similar) — have you been to the Sinclair downtown FW? Excited to see how that turned out (think it’s signature or autograph collection)

The closest hotel options are poorly run and maintained (whatever is by silver fox / Apple store)

despite the lower brand prestige, this thing will probably charge over $300/night during football season
You are correct: The Sinclair is a part of the Marriott Autograph Collection (which would have been nice to emulate).

$300 a night for 6 games p/yr does nothing to the ADR.

You do not need the Aman to come into Fort Worth. It would have been nice to have a boutique hotel managed by a Marriott or Hyatt--not built to look like one.

Eight

would need a bit more than free wi-fi, texas shaped waffles and a shortened walk for $300 a night

HFrog12

would need a bit more than free wi-fi, texas shaped waffles and a shortened walk for $300 a night

Too many great options in one of the cleaner/better downtowns in America. Not to mention what is going on with Mule Alley in the stockyards. The value prop of being on campus isn’t there as competition to the aforementioned.

I do see the need for families of visiting students or things like coming in for a baseball series. Might end up being a great deal and moneymaker. But it just doesn’t move the needle for football and is still ugly. Should they do a boutique hotel like the one in Stillwater then I’d be interested on a football gameday.

That being said, there are too many great amenities around Fort Worth to stay on campus.

Eight

Too many great options in one of the cleaner/better downtowns in America. Not to mention what is going on with Mule Alley in the stockyards. The value prop of being on campus isn’t there as competition to the aforementioned.

I do see the need for families of visiting students or things like coming in for a baseball series. Might end up being a great deal and moneymaker. But it just doesn’t move the needle for football and is still ugly. Should they do a boutique hotel like the one in Stillwater then I’d be interested on a football gameday.

That being said, there are too many great amenities around Fort Worth to stay on campus.

can't tell you the last time my wife and i did a multi-night stay anywhere, especially with our two children now that they are adults, and didn't stay in an airbnb set up.

when you consider space, costs, locations, and the ability to prepare food versus a generic hotel situation it just isn't appealing to us, but we haven't been the target demographic for tcu for quite some time

Brog

can't tell you the last time my wife and i did a multi-night stay anywhere, especially with our two children now that they are adults, and didn't stay in an airbnb set up.

when you consider space, costs, locations, and the ability to prepare food versus a generic hotel situation it just isn't appealing to us, but we haven't been the target demographic for tcu for quite some time

On our getting away outings, if I'd told my wife, "And hey, honey, we're going to be in an airbnb and you'll have the ability to prepare food (cook), and not in some old generic hotel," she'd have said, "Well, honey, ............(all these next words prohibited on FrogForum)..."

Last edited:

Eight

On our getting away outings, if I'd told my wife, "And hey, honey, we're going to be in an airbnb and you'll have the ability to prepare food (cook), and not in some old generic hotel," she'd have said, "Well, honey, ............(all these words prohibited on FrogForum)..."

fair enough, for our situation both my wife and i cook, our kids cooks as well, and none of us are a huge fan of paying way too much money for meals we can do ourselves and spend the time together

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
On our getting away outings, if I'd told my wife, "And hey, honey, we're going to be in an airbnb and you'll have the ability to prepare food (cook), and not in some old generic hotel," she'd have said, "Well, honey, ............(all these words prohibited on FrogForum)..."

Been there. We have a place in Cabo, when they were doing the sales pitch they pointed out the nice kitchen and were told about a Costco not far. My wife said said that she wasn’t getting a vacation place to grocery shop for or cook in. So far in 8 years we’ve eaten in it exactly twice and that was room service.

Eight

That is actually pretty damn cool. Good on you all.

thanks, they both also have really good taste in wine and spirits and have jobs that allow them to "share" these preferences with their parents

truthfully, our son has gotten great fixing a steak in a cast iron skillet and we much more enjoy eating, drinking, etc.. at our own pace and leisure and not spending a stupid amount of money for something that we can prepare

Last edited:

ticketfrog123

Are you referencing the drover in the stockyards?

https://hoteldrover.com/

maybe with all the competition the courtyard by the zoo will finally get a renovation

Are you referencing the drover in the stockyards?

https://hoteldrover.com/

maybe with all the competition the courtyard by the zoo will finally get a renovation
You hit the nail on the head. See, the Drover will be "managed" and "operated" by Marriott under the Autograph Collection...but you would never notice it is a Marriott (unless you are a part of their loyalty program).

The traditional cookie-cutter designed hotels (ahem Hyatt Place) are on a downward spiral for reasons like @Eight eluded to (in Eight's case: Airbnb) as well as a generational shift from "a room" to an "experience." You have to innovate. Think Texas Live! or The Star. These concepts would seem absurd just ten yrs ago. But, again, we are experiencing a hospitality generational shift.

There is a reason the Marriott's of the world are shifting towards "operating" and not towards continued new build: Because the competition is better than them.

Last edited:

Purp

Were any of you around when the Moudy Building was put up on the corner of University and Cantey? Fortunate that nothing like Frog Forum existed then, but the uproar was terrific. Why in God's name (all right, as we're a Christian University) did they decide to put a building like that up on our nice campus. Experts galore, from lawyers to doctors to high school teachers to McDonald clerks expressed their outrage. But, they kept it as is, and it's what we have today. Wanna discuss its appropriateness on campus?
I came much later, but in over 20 years of being affiliated with TCU I've never heard anybody speak highly of that building. Between Moudy, Sid Rich, and now the motel I think there are few people who would miss them if they were replaced. Sad that the motel is brand new and a member of that dubious club.

ticketfrog123

I came much later, but in over 20 years of being affiliated with TCU I've never heard anybody speak highly of that building. Between Moudy, Sid Rich, and now the motel I think there are few people who would miss them if they were replaced. Sad that the motel is brand new and a member of that dubious club.

given TCU’s target market, it’ll probably be a Hyatt regency with dorm rooms costing $4,000/month in 5 years