• The KillerFrogs

Way OT - Mountain Lion attack

OICU812

For the hunters on here, since it's the season, be aware. . . I'm wondering if these guys are making a resurgence, guy in a pasture next to mine was hog hunting at night and heard one on my place south of Corsicana, which I hadn't experienced in about 40 years. I understand it hastened his departure from the evening's hunt. :)

The body of a Texas man was found after what authorities believe was a deadly mountain lion attack.

Christopher Allen Whiteley, 28, was reported missing on Thursday after last being seen early Wednesday morning in Lipan, Texas, the Hood County Sheriff’s Office said Saturday. Whiteley’s body was found in a nearby wooded area after a search.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/missing-texas-man-found-dead-152513646.html

Killed by Mountain Lion in the Hood.
Terrible but not unexpected. Got to be careful going out in the Hood. You have to be cool in the Hood, you panic you're dead. If you're caught in there just put up your hands and make sure they hear you. Don't run, that is the worst thing you can do.

Pharm Frog

That’s in the county I live in and where my BIL is a law enforcement official — from multiple sources including online and print....

Elsewhere, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) on Sunday said it found no evidence of a "predatory attack by a mountain lion at the location where the victim was found," according to a separate news release by the department.

The agency added that Texas Game Wardens, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department biologists, and a Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services trapper also conducted an inspection of the scene, and came to the same conclusion as TPWD staff.

OICU812

That’s in the county I live in and where my BIL is a law enforcement official — from multiple sources including online and print....

Elsewhere, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) on Sunday said it found no evidence of a "predatory attack by a mountain lion at the location where the victim was found," according to a separate news release by the department.

The agency added that Texas Game Wardens, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department biologists, and a Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services trapper also conducted an inspection of the scene, and came to the same conclusion as TPWD staff.
That's a strange thing to get wrong, and also some oddly specific language in that statement- "predatory," and, "at the location."
I don't think a game warden or anybody with a lot of experience would confuse the damage done by hogs, for example. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Where I live now, truly in the middle of nowhere (The wilds south of Cuero), we have a variety of predatory critters about. Bears, cougars, wolves, scores of coyotes. We have seen a cougar (or Mountain Lion if you prefer) a couple of times on our place, probably a smaller specimen running about 80 pounds and colored more of a brown tone than the sandy color seen in most photos. We first spotted him (I am making the assumption that it is a boy, in that a cat of some kind sprayed my barn 34" off the ground) one afternoon staring at us from across the pasture. I could see him quite well through 12x binocs, and he was to my eye a typical, insouciant cat: He glared at us, then decided to groom his face a bit, and then slunk off into the brush. Since then I have seen him trotting across the pasture, or running across the driveway, or stalking waterfowl when there was water in the creek.

So far, he hasn't done me or mine any harm. But I decided that carrying around a .45 with some hollowpoints was a fine idea when moseying around the pasture. I always wanted to be many things when I was younger. Dinner wasn't one of them...

kaiser soze

Wife and kids were exploring at Possum Kingdom just below the damn about 3 months ago and saw a HUGE set of cat prints fresh in the mud.

I did not believe but did a Google search and saw story of a mineral wells kid who struck one with his truck recently.

Last edited:

WIN

Family member spotted one in Rosebud/Lott area a couple months back. He has been living down there his whole life so I have to believe him.