• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

TCURiggs

Local golf covered pretty well here. Grew up playing on the Fort Worth munis many years ago. Mostly Meadowbrook, Rockwood, Lake Arlington. Lived in Dallas in the 90’s and was at Oak Cliff CC when it was a great club. Later sold and became public I think. It was a great track, Dallas Open played there in 50’s and 60’s. Courses that are always in great shape but just not fun for me because they are old and therefore short, with multiple tee shots right next to busy streets are Rivercrest and Dallas CC. Little known fact - Cedar Crest muni in Dallas is in funky but improving neighborhood, but the PGA championship was played there in 1927, won by Walter scheissing Hagen.

Rockwood isn't bad at all after the remodel a few years ago. It's not in as good of condition as Grapevine, as far as municipal courses go, but the layout is enjoyable now.

Dogfrog

As for other Texas cities, I went to a national industry meeting in San Antonio every year for about 35 years and it was mostly golf. We wore out La Cantera, TPC, and the Quarry. Also played Pecan Valley a couple times before it closed a few years ago. Just not in a good location. They played the PGA there in ‘68.

Wexahu

Very nice old money club, and meticulously maintained, but essentially a pitch and putt by today’s standards.

Not a terrible course at all, they renovated it 8-10 years ago and while it’s not tour caliber by any means, I think pitch and putt is a bit of a stretch. You gotta be rich and somebody to be a member there, I do know that.

Dogfrog

Not a terrible course at all, they renovated it 8-10 years ago and while it’s not tour caliber by any means, I think pitch and putt is a bit of a stretch. You gotta be rich and somebody to be a member there, I do know that.

Didn’t say terrible just short, at least when I was there. It’s been over eight years since I played there but can’t imagine how you fix short when inner city like that.

Wexahu

Didn’t say terrible just short, at least when I was there. It’s been over eight years since I played there but can’t imagine how you fix short when inner city like that.

They have completely maxed out the distance, there just isn’t any room like you say. Turned a par 5 into a 4 without shortening it which makes quite a bit of difference. It’s still relatively short, but not that short. The lunch buffet there is ridiculous btw.

Dogfrog

They have completely maxed out the distance, there just isn’t any room like you say. Turned a par 5 into a 4 without shortening it which makes quite a bit of difference. It’s still relatively short, but not that short. The lunch buffet there is ridiculous btw.

Very nice club.

Frog-in-law1995

Being from Grapevine I completely agree. Has some neat holes out there. Was ranked top 10 in Texas during the mid 2000’s. Bear Creek is another I’d probably add to my list that I enjoyed. Tierra Verde is probably next to be played if possible. Have heard good things and y’all backed that up. If anyone needs help for some east Texas courses I’ll be glad to help.

Grapevine muni was a GREAT course for the price years ago. Haven’t played since the reno (which was like 10 years ago) but imagine it’s still great. Twin Lakes is a fun track if you’re looking in East TX. Firewheel in Garland is good too. And Stevens Park in the Kessler Park neighborhood of Dallas is a great muni. Feels like a high-end club course.

MTfrog5

Grapevine muni was a GREAT course for the price years ago. Haven’t played since the reno (which was like 10 years ago) but imagine it’s still great. Twin Lakes is a fun track if you’re looking in East TX. Firewheel in Garland is good too. And Stevens Park in the Kessler Park neighborhood of Dallas is a great muni. Feels like a high-end club course.
Sorry to break the news but twin lakes is closed. That’s was a tough course but so much fun. We used to play it for 25 bucks in the summer with them just trying to get people out there. They used the excuse of the tornadoes that went thru canton but I heard they lost their tax exempt from the tree farm. They still have 1, 17, and 18 for the owners.

nwlafrog

I’m having Budweiser Nitro Reserve Gold poured into a fancy beer glass because the can told me to. It’s actually really good.

Not sure if it’s the directions to flip x3 and then immediately open and pour hard or just the beer, but it’s pretty dang good. I’ve never been a full Budweiser kind of guy.

Wexahu

Grapevine still a great course. Clubhouse sucks but who cares.

Frog-in-law1995

Sorry to break the news but twin lakes is closed. That’s was a tough course but so much fun. We used to play it for 25 bucks in the summer with them just trying to get people out there. They used the excuse of the tornadoes that went thru canton but I heard they lost their tax exempt from the tree farm. They still have 1, 17, and 18 for the owners.

Aw man. Ex FIL lived in Van and we played there a lot. Been years, obvi, but I loved that place.

froginmn

For those that have gone to Disney, did anyone find a TCU skin for the magic bands?
d9tlw.jpg

Paul in uhh

Been blessed to get the invite to river crest a few times. Short but tough course with lightning fast and firm greens. Haven’t been invited to any of the other private tracks.

Hawks Creek is decent but I like Whitestone more.

Anyone tried squaw creek down towards glen rose?