• The KillerFrogs

Top 10 plays of the decade

Well let me explain. Lots of bitching on this thread and many others about Anderson. When it comes to Anderson, he was recently moved back to OL coach, which makes his past performance there pertinent.

So who was that OL coach who coached Niang his freshman year (after the GA you refer to derisively left)? A perspective from someone who's not some "idiot" on a message board:

"Niang didn’t always feel he had what it took to get to the next level. Going back to his freshman season, Niang admits he was not ready for big time football. Niang credits his turnaround and development to TCU offensive line coach Chris Thomsen. In fact, prior to Thomsen’s arrival, Niang considered leaving TCU.

“Coach Thomsen is the best coach I’ve ever had; there is no doubt about it. I was going to leave at one point but then Coach Thomsen came and started teaching me. He’s just a fantastic coach; he’s taught me so much,” Niang said. “I have some film from my freshman year and if you cut that off and you look at it now there’s a huge difference. Coach Thomsen is a phenomenal coach.”

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/TCU-offensive-lineman-Lucas-Niang-plenty-prove-133829623/

Now a bunch of people on here don't think Thomsen was that good of an OL coach and I'm personally kind of in-between on that but if we assume he's at least average, what does that quote from someone who played for both tell you about Anderson as an OL coach? People don't develop reputations in a vacuum.

"When you think of true air raid offenses, the last thought that really crosses your mind is running the football at times. It is easy to forget about in this offensive scheme, but when you have a back like Kyle Hicks, you might as well use him. It wasn’t always easy finding running room for Hicks even though he averaged 5.1 yards per carry in 2016. Most of that was due to creativity in the offense to get him in the open space and outside the tackles. According to PFF (Pro Football Focus) the Horned Frogs offensive line graded out to be the 2nd worst run blocking unit in the Big 12. Every single person from last year’s offensive line with the exception of RT Aviante Collins will be back in 2017. The 2017 starting group will consist of LT Joseph Noteboom, LG Patrick Morris, C Austin Schlottmann, RG Matt Pryor and RT Lucan Niang."

https://heartlandcollegesports.com/2017/04/06/tcu-spring-game-preview-5-things-to-watch/3/

Wexahu

So who was that OL coach who coached Niang his freshman year (after the GA you refer to derisively left)? A perspective from someone who's not some "idiot" on a message board:

"Niang didn’t always feel he had what it took to get to the next level. Going back to his freshman season, Niang admits he was not ready for big time football. Niang credits his turnaround and development to TCU offensive line coach Chris Thomsen. In fact, prior to Thomsen’s arrival, Niang considered leaving TCU.

“Coach Thomsen is the best coach I’ve ever had; there is no doubt about it. I was going to leave at one point but then Coach Thomsen came and started teaching me. He’s just a fantastic coach; he’s taught me so much,” Niang said. “I have some film from my freshman year and if you cut that off and you look at it now there’s a huge difference. Coach Thomsen is a phenomenal coach.”

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/TCU-offensive-lineman-Lucas-Niang-plenty-prove-133829623/

Now a bunch of people on here don't think Thomsen was that good of an OL coach and I'm personally kind of in-between on that but if we assume he's at least average, what does that quote from someone who played for both tell you about Anderson as an OL coach? People don't develop reputations in a vacuum.

"When you think of true air raid offenses, the last thought that really crosses your mind is running the football at times. It is easy to forget about in this offensive scheme, but when you have a back like Kyle Hicks, you might as well use him. It wasn’t always easy finding running room for Hicks even though he averaged 5.1 yards per carry in 2016. Most of that was due to creativity in the offense to get him in the open space and outside the tackles. According to PFF (Pro Football Focus) the Horned Frogs offensive line graded out to be the 2nd worst run blocking unit in the Big 12. Every single person from last year’s offensive line with the exception of RT Aviante Collins will be back in 2017. The 2017 starting group will consist of LT Joseph Noteboom, LG Patrick Morris, C Austin Schlottmann, RG Matt Pryor and RT Lucan Niang."

https://heartlandcollegesports.com/2017/04/06/tcu-spring-game-preview-5-things-to-watch/3/

Coach Thomsen was here for all (or most all) of Austin Myers, Kelton Hollins, Anthony McKinney, David Bolosimi and Cordel Iwuagwu's careers at TCU. Have you noticed big improvement from any of these players? Not to mention all the redshirt freshman that were on the roster this year (Lanz, Burnette, Dike, and Avila) that apparently hadn't developed enough to see any time. Compare that to the improvement guys made between 2013-2016 and there really is no comparison. I don't know what the reason for that is, but players simply did not seem to be developing very much under Thomsen's watch.

As for Niang's comment about looking back at film his freshman year and seeing a big difference between that and now, I imagine most players would say that.

Coach Thomsen was here for all (or most all) of Austin Myers, Kelton Hollins, Anthony McKinney, David Bolosimi and Cordel Iwuagwu's careers at TCU. Have you noticed big improvement from any of these players? Not to mention all the redshirt freshman that were on the roster this year (Lanz, Burnette, Dike, and Avila) that apparently hadn't developed enough to see any time. Compare that to the improvement guys made between 2013-2016 and there really is no comparison. I don't know what the reason for that is, but players simply did not seem to be developing very much under Thomsen's watch.

As for Niang's comment about looking back at film his freshman year and seeing a big difference between that and now, I imagine most players would say that.
I referred to him as "average." When and where does that constitute an endorsement? Let's say he's terrible; that makes it even worse for what you're attempting to assert. You can spin the quote however you want and I know that you'll argue with a signpost but the quote is what it is about the instruction that he received and it's not from an idiot on a message board.

“Coach Thomsen is the best coach I’ve ever had; there is no doubt about it. I was going to leave at one point but then Coach Thomsen came and started teaching me. He’s just a fantastic coach; he’s taught me so much,”

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
watt.jpg

Eight

there isn't a comparison between the athletic ability of collins, noteboom, vaitai, morris, hunt, and schlottman with hollins, bolosomi,and inaugural.

the block someone posted from the seattle game where hunt is able to get the angle on one interior defender and then does a 180 to block a defender on the other side of the hole isn't something that was taught. you either have that type of agility, balance, and footwork or you don't.

you don't see that same type of athletic ability in hollins, bolosomi, and iwuagwu

as i mentioned earlier, the six offensive linemen recruited in the 2012-13 classes were exceptional.

the 2016 offensive line had 5 future nfl offensive linemen and finished 9th in the big 12 in rushing yards and might have been the most frustrating offense since the frogs joined the big 12.

as far as the lack of development in the lineman recruited by thomsen some has been due to injury (i.e. harris and burnette for example) and some is part of the million dollar question.

Wexahu

I referred to him as "average." When and where does that constitute an endorsement? Let's say he's terrible; that makes it even worse for what you're attempting to assert. You can spin the quote however you want and I know that you'll argue with a signpost but the quote is what it is about the instruction that he received and it's not from an idiot on a message board.

“Coach Thomsen is the best coach I’ve ever had; there is no doubt about it. I was going to leave at one point but then Coach Thomsen came and started teaching me. He’s just a fantastic coach; he’s taught me so much,”

It's one quote from one player, and you were using that as some kind of validation that he's better than Anderson. IMO the OL performed better under the prior coach regardless of what any player said. Maybe Thomsen was a good coach and we just have bad players or players who are uncoachable, I don't know.

Has anyone asked Big V and Joey Hunt about Anderson? If they said he was a good coach would you believe it?

Wexahu

there isn't a comparison between the athletic ability of collins, noteboom, vaitai, morris, hunt, and schlottman with hollins, bolosomi,and inaugural.

the block someone posted from the seattle game where hunt is able to get the angle on one interior defender and then does a 180 to block a defender on the other side of the hole isn't something that was taught. you either have that type of agility, balance, and footwork or you don't.

you don't see that same type of athletic ability in hollins, bolosomi, and iwuagwu

as i mentioned earlier, the six offensive linemen recruited in the 2012-13 classes were exceptional.

the 2016 offensive line had 5 future nfl offensive linemen and finished 9th in the big 12 in rushing yards and might have been the most frustrating offense since the frogs joined the big 12.

as far as the lack of development in the lineman recruited by thomsen some has been due to injury (i.e. harris and burnette for example) and some is part of the million dollar question.

Don't you need athletic lineman with a lot of agility to be effective in a zone blocking running scheme? It seems like we want all our guys to be huge 300+ guys and we recruit accordingly, but it just seems like if you're gonna run spread with zone blocking on virtually all plays a lighter, quicker OL would be better. No?

Never understood why you need 320 lb Offensive Tackles to block what are usually <260 lb DEs. Just from the eye test it seems like most O-lineman are carrying around 30 lbs of fat anyway.

It's one quote from one player, and you were using that as some kind of validation that he's better than Anderson. IMO the OL performed better under the prior coach regardless of what any player said. Maybe Thomsen was a good coach and we just have bad players or players who are uncoachable, I don't know.

Has anyone asked Big V and Joey Hunt about Anderson? If they said he was a good coach would you believe it?
I would certainly consider their opinion and think it was worth more than something said on a message board. But, I also look at the results on the field which is why I also can't anoint Thomsen as some kind of OL guru based on the one quote.