• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Wexahu

Are we still flirting with Omar Manning?

I hope not. Let him be 6'3", 220 lbs, run a 4.4 forty and catch about 15 passes a season for someone else, he had his chance here.

I don't get all the hype about the guy, in his highlight video he was about as unnatural a catcher of the ball as you can find. There is a such thing as a big, strong fast kid that just isn't very good at football, I think he's one of those guys.

Wexahu

Not at all surprised at the names that are on there, but shocked at one that isn't.

In the grand scheme of things that really isn’t a lot of money, if football recruiting is as important as people think it is. We just spent $100M on the east side stadium expansion. Is that better money spent than putting it all toward football recruiting and having the largest recruiting budget in the country paid for for the next 15-20 years?

Before someone chimes in, I know that’s not realistic. Just pointing out that these budgets are almost surprisingly small to me given the kind of money thrown around on other things, coaches salaries for one.

Eight

lol, is that because they are being intentionally secretive, or because nobody on campus can do the totin'?

there was an article written a while back about the number of "staffer" some of the p5 power programs employ as part of their programs.

ncaa had done a brief survey and the big problem was that not everyone would clearly identify roles and titles and a couple of those were nd and alabama,

i agree with wex's point that if recruiting truly is the life blood of a program a couple of million really doesn't seem like that big an investment. heck, consider the amount of money tcu has spent on various game helmets.

Billy Clyde

there was an article written a while back about the number of "staffer" some of the p5 power programs employ as part of their programs.

ncaa had done a brief survey and the big problem was that not everyone would clearly identify roles and titles and a couple of those were nd and alabama,

i agree with wex's point that if recruiting truly is the life blood of a program a couple of million really doesn't seem like that big an investment. heck, consider the amount of money tcu has spent on various game helmets.

Yeah, I don't disagree at all in theory with the idea spending big money on recruiting. I think we have it to spend, and can view it as an investment in back-end payout. I also don't think we do nearly as good a job as we could of maximizing our efforts. It's like we are to a degree trapped in the mindset of, "We'll just turn 2s into 5s."
I would LOVE to see the athletic department partner with other schools on campus to build synergy in the Athletic Department. Nutrition, Engineering, Nursing, Ad/PR, Broadcast... Students in ALL those departments could help with individualized nutrition programs, workout programs, Marketing to high school kids and their parents, heck, even watching game film on opponents... the possibilities are endless. End of the day, you wind up with students with a bunch of practical experience that makes them much more marketable to employers, and maybe you wind up with just the slightest edge in one critical situation, be it recruiting or on game day, that puts you over the top on a close call.
Spending money is good, but effectively marshaling resources is best.

CryptoMiner

Game helmets are not paid for by the program.