• The KillerFrogs

OT - best steakhouse in FW?

texas_sicilian

Let’s get specific here:
Chicken Fried Steak: M&M’s
Bone-in filet: Capital Grill (porcini rub)
Tomahawk: Lonesome Dove
Baseball cut: Del Frisco’s
Exotic steak: Bonnell’s
Topping: Dynamite sauce @ Chop House
Ribeye: Reata
Meat sweats: Texas de Brazil
Surf & Turf: Eddie V’s

Last edited:

Paint It Purple

I don’t know if there is any right way. I cook at about 5-6 inches below grill but extremely hot fire. 70% oak with 30% mesquite. Pre-charred hardwood. I cook with lid on a giant Weber that is mounted on a cart. I sear at 4-6 minutes per side depending on thickness of steak. 4-5 minutes per side on 2 finger thick and 6 minutes on a 3 finger thick cut. I eat a steak medium rare.

Another way, especially on thicker cuts is build your fire on one side of the grill and 3-4 minutes on side and finish on indirect heat with lid down. Use temp probe until you get your timing down.

Always rest meat for 5 minutes after coming off the grill no matter how you cook it.

My way is to always have a hot fire. You cannot do that on a gas grill unless you have you with an infrared burner that get hots enough to sear the steak, then finish on regular burner or indirect next to infrared burner(my preference).
Coincidentally, I have the same Weber. Thanks for the advice.

I like steak. ;)

Brog

I am with for an affordable steak. I also like Texas Roadhouse for an affordable steak, the one pick at the meat counter for them to cook.

But, I don’t eat steak out that much because I grill prime cuts at home over hardwood at a fraction of the cost that will stand up to most high end steakhouses. When I typically eat at a steakhouse, it is because I am being treated by a friend or business function.

Babyface, what's your address, and what time do you start serving?

LeagueCityFrog

Experience at Del Frisco's in that awesome downtown Fort Worth southwestern building is a great experience. It is now the longest standing, same location of all Del Frisco's.

HToady

Del Frisco steaks are great but for the price, I hate sitting elbow to elbow with everyone else. That's why I would rather go to Capital Grille, Ruth Chris or B&B. Del Frisco, has the best food but crowded and rushed environment. Not what a steakhouse should be.

You don't have to "over buy" at B&B to get a good steak......

Peacefrog

Degenerate
The lemon location is where I meet my wife. No kidding we meet at the bar before dinner in 2001. I invited her and her friends to my table and it has been fun since then. I still don’t like their presentation.

Did you know that the lemon bob’s is the original location of del frisco’s? The red rose stained glass was the original del’s promotional gesture as each female patron got a rose for a time.
Bob’s is now owned in part by Omni hotels. The only one that isn’t is the original which Bob just bought back after being ousted a few years back. It’s phenomenal. I’ve eaten, through work, at great steak restaurants across the country, but no one makes a better bone in ribeye. But only the Lemon location. After that it’s pretty ordinary.

B&B is self indulgent over-rated crap. Like the novels of Susan Sontag.

At the upper price point, I'd say Del Frisco's because I've been many times and feel like I can count on having a great steak and great service. Bob's, Mercury and Ruth's Chris are all good and if someone wanted to go there instead of Del Frisco's, I'd be fine with it. Silver Fox seems inconsistent. It's been very good and just meh. I don't get Capital Grille. It was ok but I expect better than just ok for what it claims to be. Maybe I should try it again because a lot of people really seem to like it.

Cattlemen's is pretty good for the price point if you like old school. Hoffbrau would be my favorite of the moderate priced places. Have never had a bad meal there.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
At the upper price point, I'd say Del Frisco's because I've been many times and feel like I can count on having a great steak and great service. Bob's, Mercury and Ruth's Chris are all good and if someone wanted to go there instead of Del Frisco's, I'd be fine with it. Silver Fox seems inconsistent. It's been very good and just meh. I don't get Capital Grille. It was ok but I expect better than just ok for what it claims to be. Maybe I should try it again because a lot of people really seem to like it.

Cattlemen's is pretty good for the price point if you like old school. Hoffbrau would be my favorite of the moderate priced places. Have never had a bad meal there.
Capital Grille is owned by the same company that owns Olive Garden. That has to be a red flag. They also own Eddie V’s.

froginmn

I am with for an affordable steak. I also like Texas Roadhouse for an affordable steak, the one pick at the meat counter for them to cook.

But, I don’t eat steak out that much because I grill prime cuts at home over hardwood at a fraction of the cost that will stand up to most high end steakhouses. When I typically eat at a steakhouse, it is because I am being treated by a friend or business function.
So can I just stop by your place for steak on my birthday?