• The KillerFrogs

To Those Who Know Jamie Best.....

robbroyy

If he’s staying then by July no one will care. He’ll make a speech that TCU is where he wants to be and all will be forgotten.

Wexahu

That’s easy to say now that we know how it’s played out.

But Euros/foreign players are proving their worth more and more every day in this game.

Yes, hindsight is great, I agree there, and there's no question about the ability of the players. But there's just a little bit of a hired gun aspect to bringing in kids from overseas, and I'm not sure it's a great trend for a program in the long run. You gotta get who you can get though.

Pharm Frog

Yes, hindsight is great, I agree there, and there's no question about the ability of the players. But there's just a little bit of a hired gun aspect to bringing in kids from overseas, and I'm not sure it's a great trend for a program in the long run. You gotta get who you can get though.

Works pretty well for tennis

Bob Sugar

If he’s staying then by July no one will care. He’ll make a speech that TCU is where he wants to be and all will be forgotten.
Exactly. It seems like a lot of people here view the situation like this:
1. I am driving a sweet BMW, but a new Bentley has come available.
2. I owe more than my BMW is worth and the bank won't let me out of the difference, so I cannot buy the Bentley.
3. *incredible leap of logic* I now hate my bank and my BMW, so I am going to go crash it into a brick wall.

HToady

Kinda inexplicable.

Has great relationship with Patterson and Schloss....seen at both the CWS and Bowl games.
Hangs out out Colonial a bit as do Schloss and Patterson.
I asked him how his kids were adjusting to FW and he said "great".
Hasn't lived in LA in 30 years, don't think he has any family there (not sure).

So I'm thinking a combination of UCLA prestige draw and bare cupboard at TCU. If it's the later, then that's a shame on him.

robbroyy

Kinda inexplicable.

Has great relationship with Patterson and Schloss....seen at both the CWS and Bowl games.
Hangs out out Colonial a bit as do Schloss and Patterson.
I asked him how his kids were adjusting to FW and he said "great".
Hasn't lived in LA in 30 years, don't think he has any family there (not sure).

So I'm thinking a combination of UCLA prestige draw and bare cupboard at TCU. If it's the later, then that's a shame on him.
The whole draw is supposedly his parents and his wife’s parents that are there and getting up in age

4th. down

only dixon and his wife can answer that question......but, does it matter if he came to tcu for the tenure of his contract and not to finish his career?

the tcu basketball program is not a destination program at this time and i am not sure if it ever will reach that status.

i don't fault the guy for looking at the ucla job anymore than i wouldn't fault tcu for asking for the full buyout. if he wants to be in socal so be it. you know the costs.

as far as his legacy in ft worth he did bring credibility and wins, but he also has left a mess with a roster that could be far worse than what he inherited from trent.

ironic isn't that for all those losses and playing in a high school gym trent landed and KEPT on campus

mike williams
vlad
brandon parrish
jd miller
alex robiinson
karviar shepherd
chris washburn
kenrich williams

guess we will have to see how all this plays out, but it does raise and interesting question who put the program in a better position to succeed after them

Wow, that's brutal, but sometimes the truth can be. JD, you ain't looking too good fella.

smufrogger

All legitimate and valid reasons for wanting to head to LA. No disputing that.

But if those are the reasons, which I have no reason to believe they aren’t, is it safe to say that he used TCU as a bridge to get him there as things were sort of falling apart in Pitt? Meaning he had no real intentions of staying here? Mom and dad were never getting younger, sisters been around, etc, etc.
Based on my own experiences- I disagree - I’ve gone through varying life experiences in my life that can change / has changed my priorities- which then changes what I wanted out of my job. I’ve gone from the get the top dollar, to get thr management experience- get the sector experience- get a life balance so you can help raise the kids, etc
Jamie could be going through these same issues. I believe He and Pitt were toast and a great opportunity came his way - TCU and he took it. Was TCU everything any one or he wanted? No but the best available. As stated, a UCLA job for him has some pluses but no one I know would sit around waiting for the best job to open up. I don’t for a minute think he told himself I’ll take this job but only to tide me over Until the UCLA job opens.

mc1502

All legitimate and valid reasons for wanting to head to LA. No disputing that.

But if those are the reasons, which I have no reason to believe they aren’t, is it safe to say that he used TCU as a bridge to get him there as things were sort of falling apart in Pitt? Meaning he had no real intentions of staying here? Mom and dad were never getting younger, sisters been around, etc, etc.
It happens every day. I had an employee give notice last Friday that left for a higher level position at a smaller competitor. He was only with me for 8 months. He would have had zero chance of getting that gig had I not hired him and thus made it possible for him to put the name a fortune 100 company on his resume. I don't feel any animosity towards him. At the end of the day we all have to look out for ourselves.

netty2424

He had an assistant with international ties. Kind of made sense really. From recruiting perspective, he probably wasn’t competing with other US programs us much as he might if the kids were stateside.

That being said, the percentages haven’t exactly worked out in his favor up to this point. So I suppose your point is proven.

netty2424

It happens every day. I had an employee give notice last Friday that left for a higher level position at a smaller competitor. He was only with me for 8 months. He would have had zero chance of getting that gig had I not hired him and thus made it possible for him to put the name a fortune 100 company on his resume. I don't feel any animosity towards him. At the end of the day we all have to look out for ourselves.
You’re correct, it happens every day. I’m not saying he’s wrong, just speculating on a motive. We’ll probably never know and that’s completely fine. But I wear purple and want our programs to be led by coaches who want to be here.

If they can’t make the buyout work, what next? He crawls back to little ole TCU and spends time on the clock wondering what could’ve been on the left coast? That blows too.

netty2424

Based on my own experiences- I disagree - I’ve gone through varying life experiences in my life that can change / has changed my priorities- which then changes what I wanted out of my job. I’ve gone from the get the top dollar, to get thr management experience- get the sector experience- get a life balance so you can help raise the kids, etc
Jamie could be going through these same issues. I believe He and Pitt were toast and a great opportunity came his way - TCU and he took it. Was TCU everything any one or he wanted? No but the best available. As stated, a UCLA job for him has some pluses but no one I know would sit around waiting for the best job to open up. I don’t for a minute think he told himself I’ll take this job but only to tide me over Until the UCLA job opens.
No doubt. Things change, priorities change. That’s life. Happens to all of us. I don’t disagree.

So what if they can’t work out the buyout?

Bizarro Frog

Never burn a bridge from either side. Scorched earth will get you a whole lot of ex-employers, lovers and clients that will not ever reach back out to you or help you out when in need.

Good rule of thumb to live by.

CountryFrog

Never burn a bridge from either side. Scorched earth will get you a whole lot of ex-employers, lovers and clients that will not ever reach back out to you or help you out when in need.

Good rule of thumb to live by.
Did you know that "rule of thumb" comes from old English law that said men were allowed to hit their wives with a stick as long as it wasn't larger in circumference than their thumb.

The good old days...

TooColdU

That’s easy to say now that we know how it’s played out.

But Euros/foreign players are proving their worth more and more every day in this game.

We need more kids from Europe instead of Australia imo, but I understand that CJD’s connections reside in the land down under.