• The KillerFrogs

To Those Who Know Jamie Best.....

wilson912

Please give us some insight into why he’s doing this. Is it....

1. Money grab? Hard to fathom given his pay is said to be well over $3M.

2. Pull to go home to Cali? I know his folks are elderly and his wife is from San Fran.

3. Frustration with fan support?

4. Conflict with TCU administration?

5. Wife not happy in FW?

6. Something to do with the Hawaii trip?

Thank you.

ShreveFrog

I think the hoops prestige of UCLA (legendary when he was growing up there), the pull of family, perhaps the dream of going home, plus if you make enough millions that could make life tolerable in LA. Whatever the reason, I won't hold it against JD. But I'm not happy that he's leaving the program seemingly in worse shape than when he arrived.

Edit: I don't know Jamie at all. JMO.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Don't know him at all, but I think the alma mater thing gets highly overrated at times. Yes, he probably has some feelings toward TCU but he had been gone 30+ years (and really wasn't anywhere close during that time) and the truth is he didn't come back until his time at Pitt had grown very stale and he was offered $3M. At the end of the day he's a basketball coach that probably just wants the best job possible, and if UCLA wants him and is willing to pay $5M+ or whatever the number ends up being, it's not at all surprising that he'd take it.

TRF51

I've seen a lot of assuming with no official announcement of anything.

After this I don’t want him back. If I were a recruit’s parent I would not want my kid to sign because I know he is not in it and he will leave when given the opportunity. I would want to know that my coach is going to be there and wants to build the program. I think the damage is done and if I were a current player I am not sure I can trust him.

hiphopfroggy

After this I don’t want him back. If I were a recruit’s parent I would not want my kid to sign because I know he is not in it and he will leave when given the opportunity. I would want to know that my coach is going to be there and wants to build the program. I think the damage is done and if I were a current player I am not sure I can trust him.

Hogwash, hugs and a public statement make it all go away. As far as we know nothing has been said that can't be taken back. But yea this is a beating at the moment.

Let’s put to rest this notion that Dixon is looking to leave for any blue blood program. UCLA is one of only a handful — and possibly the only program — he’ll leave for. If he stays, he’s probably ours until he retires.

His parents are in LA, and they aren’t getting younger. He’s very close with his sister Julie, who lives there. His wife’s family is in Hawaii and SF. Those are hard “pulls” no matter how good you have it at TCU.

MagicFrog

This is how I feel. It seems to me that this has been handled about as poorly as it possibly could.

netty2424

Let’s put to rest this notion that Dixon is looking to leave for any blue blood program. UCLA is one of only a handful — and possibly the only program — he’ll leave for. If he stays, he’s probably ours until he retires.

His parents are in LA, and they aren’t getting younger. He’s very close with his sister Julie, who lives there. His wife’s family is in Hawaii and SF. Those are hard “pulls” no matter how good you have it at TCU.
All legitimate and valid reasons for wanting to head to LA. No disputing that.

But if those are the reasons, which I have no reason to believe they aren’t, is it safe to say that he used TCU as a bridge to get him there as things were sort of falling apart in Pitt? Meaning he had no real intentions of staying here? Mom and dad were never getting younger, sisters been around, etc, etc.

4th. down

But if those are the reasons, which I have no reason to believe they aren’t, is it safe to say that he used TCU as a bridge to get him there as things were sort of falling apart in Pitt? Meaning he had no real intentions of staying here? Mom and dad were never getting younger, sisters been around, etc, etc.

Seems like a good assessment to me. Even if he stays, it will never be the same, but I think he's gone.

Eight

only dixon and his wife can answer that question......but, does it matter if he came to tcu for the tenure of his contract and not to finish his career?

the tcu basketball program is not a destination program at this time and i am not sure if it ever will reach that status.

i don't fault the guy for looking at the ucla job anymore than i wouldn't fault tcu for asking for the full buyout. if he wants to be in socal so be it. you know the costs.

as far as his legacy in ft worth he did bring credibility and wins, but he also has left a mess with a roster that could be far worse than what he inherited from trent.

ironic isn't that for all those losses and playing in a high school gym trent landed and KEPT on campus

mike williams
vlad
brandon parrish
jd miller
alex robiinson
karviar shepherd
chris washburn
kenrich williams

guess we will have to see how all this plays out, but it does raise and interesting question who put the program in a better position to succeed after them

I doubt it was as simple as that. When he left Pitt, he had no idea if or when the UCLA job would be open.

Everybody has that one job they would leave everything for. I think the UCLA job is that one for Jamie.

tetonfrog

If JD wants to come back, I would welcome him with open arms.............and then I would double his buyout. There is nothing wrong with a good coach listening to an offer. GP has done it several times. Schloos did it last year. And if JD trheatening to leave speeds up the +4 ticket mess, even better.

The reason so many people on here want him to leave is (1) they are trolling us (2) they are disappointed with this season (3) they are uneasy about the future under him with all the transfers.

All he he has to do is give a press conference saying I love it here and will never leave It's all good after that (and a bunch of phone calls to incoming recruits). That said, I still think he is gone. If he does not take the UCLA job, then several people will get fired at UCLA and they are down to their 6th or 7th candidate because CIncy's Cronin also is getting antsy.

Eight

If JD wants to come back, I would welcome him with open arms.............and then I would double his buyout. There is nothing wrong with a good coach listening to an offer. GP has done it several times. Schloos did it last year. And if JD trheatening to leave speeds up the +4 ticket mess, even better.

The reason so many people on here want him to leave is (1) they are trolling us (2) they are disappointed with this season (3) they are uneasy about the future under him with all the transfers.

All he he has to do is give a press conference saying I love it here and will never leave It's all good after that (and a bunch of phone calls to incoming recruits). That said, I still think he is gone. If he does not take the UCLA job, then several people will get fired at UCLA and they are down to their 6th or 7th candidate because CIncy's Cronin also is getting antsy.

i agree the dixon is doing what a number of coaches have done before him (including patterson and schloss) and will continue to do after this decision.

in regards to those who wonder how you sell tcu to recruits after this, pretty simple actually. ucla came after me hard and it is where my wife and i are from and near our families....with all that in the end tcu is where i decided to stay because i believe deep in my heart it is the better job and we have just scratched the surface of what we can accomplish here.

say it with the right sincerity and he is golden.

some will forgive him and others won't but as long has he can attract talent and win games it won't matter

Wexahu

only dixon and his wife can answer that question......but, does it matter if he came to tcu for the tenure of his contract and not to finish his career?

the tcu basketball program is not a destination program at this time and i am not sure if it ever will reach that status.

i don't fault the guy for looking at the ucla job anymore than i wouldn't fault tcu for asking for the full buyout. if he wants to be in socal so be it. you know the costs.

as far as his legacy in ft worth he did bring credibility and wins, but he also has left a mess with a roster that could be far worse than what he inherited from trent.

ironic isn't that for all those losses and playing in a high school gym trent landed and KEPT on campus

mike williams
vlad
brandon parrish
jd miller
alex robiinson
karviar shepherd
chris washburn
kenrich williams

guess we will have to see how all this plays out, but it does raise and interesting question who put the program in a better position to succeed after them

JD went overboard bringing kids in from overseas IMO.

netty2424

mike williams
vlad
brandon parrish
jd miller
alex robiinson
karviar shepherd
chris washburn
kenrich williams

Don’t disagree with any of that, but worth noting, he hasn’t fulfilled his contract.