• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU data analysis corrects S-T findings on percentage of black males who are athletes

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU data analysis corrects S-T findings on percentage of black males who are athletes

BY STAR-TELEGRAM

About 34 percent of black undergraduate men at TCU are scholarship athletes, according to figures released by the university on Wednesday, a significantly lower number than the Star-Telegram reported in April.

TCU compiled the data in response to an April 12 article in the Star-Telegram that said 70 percent of the black undergraduate men on campus are recruited athletes.

The Star-Telegram calculated its numbers using a combination of TCU’s student factbook and athlete rosters online, as well as athletes’ social media accounts and interviews of athletes in which they self-identified. If there was any doubt, the athlete was not included in the count.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/education/article210845464.html

Pharm Frog

Never use a more exotic reason/excuse until you have eliminated good ol' fashioned stupidity.

But if there was an agenda, I think it had much less to do with race than anti-TCU bias.

There’s an agenda. Maybe two. Probably at least two. There’s a hopeful hunch this writer was playing and it’s very easy to not explore deeper and check your numbers when the result you see is the one you were hoping to see. And having an agenda and stupidity aren’t mutually exclusive.

There’s also an agenda to get people to get mad and click sites because they are mad. Should not be the arena of journalism IMO.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Never use a more exotic reason/excuse until you have eliminated good ol' fashioned stupidity.

But if there was an agenda, I think it had much less to do with race than anti-TCU bias.

I don’t know about that. The race thing fits perfectly with the uber liberal media agenda these days.

When I was in Dr Fay’s journalism classes at TCU, it started creeping in back then. I was even taken to task once for questioning why we weren’t reporting only on facts and letting the reader make a choice. I was asked what I meant and replied that there was an obvious slant. I was scolded “You can’t possibly believe Nixon is right?!” I just said that I thought we were taught it wasn’t the reporter’s job to interject themselves into the argument. I just got a nasty look and was told, “Maybe the sports section is a better fit.” That kind of began my direction away from writing.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
There’s an agenda. Maybe two. Probably at least two. There’s a hopeful hunch this writer was playing and it’s very easy to not explore deeper and check your numbers when the result you see is the one you were hoping to see. And having an agenda and stupidity aren’t mutually exclusive.

There’s also an agenda to get people to get mad and click sites because they are mad. Should not be the arena of journalism IMO.

Sadly I concur with Pharm.
We need solid journalists and sadly we get this.

Froglaw

Given the right/left divide in this country, I'm would be surprised if any article or story is ever 100% facts.

Chancellor Bosini said in Saturday's commencement address that too much energy is being wasted in controversy in our country.

He told our newest TCU Alumni to take a second, bite their tongues, and think before claimimg that a person is a "goofball".

In that moment you hesitate you might realize that you are the "goofball".

I love TCU.

Go Frogs!

PurplFrawg

Administrator
"The Star-Telegram calculated its numbers using a combination of TCU’s student factbook and athlete rosters online, as well as athletes’ social media accounts and interviews of athletes in which they self-identified. If there was any doubt, the athlete was not included in the count."

Which is a fancy way of saying, "We threw some crap against the wall to see what would stick." They weren't prepared for the push back.

lowfrog

"The Star-Telegram calculated its numbers using a combination of TCU’s student factbook and athlete rosters online, as well as athletes’ social media accounts and interviews of athletes in which they self-identified. If there was any doubt, the athlete was not included in the count."

As soon as I got to the end of the word "calculated," I knew something was wrong.