• The KillerFrogs

***Game thread: Frogs at OU***

Pharm Frog

I wonder if the Big 12 office is gonna have something to say about the throat slash gesture from Mr. Lattin. Would have been nice to have shot the technical that should have been called but since it was on TV and even mentioned by the announcers, I'd figure they'll have to address it somehow. But maybe not....did it have anything to say about the Mayfield throat slash gesture in the Georgia game?

Shorty

I wonder if the Big 12 office is gonna have something to say about the throat slash gesture from Mr. Lattin. Would have been nice to have shot the technical that should have been called but since it was on TV and even mentioned by the announcers, I'd figure they'll have to address it somehow. But maybe not....did it have anything to say about the Mayfield throat slash gesture in the Georgia game?
Nothing will happen. Would have been since for the foul or the slash to be called.

froglash88

JD’s 3 point attempt with about 22 on the shot clock just before halftime was a killer. We had a chance to go into halftime with the lead. ARob needs to make better decisions in crunch time.

Maybe we catch some fire. I would love to play OU again in the B12 tournament. Hard to beat us (or anyone) three times in a season.

Horny 4 Life

We're about to go from our highest ranking ever to unranked. What a swoon. I hope our guys have the mental toughness to rebound (literally and figuratively) for the next two games. We should be able to win those and get some momentum back.

netty2424

We're about to go from our highest ranking ever to unranked. What a swoon. I hope our guys have the mental toughness to rebound (literally and figuratively) for the next two games. We should be able to win those and get some momentum back.
Will be interesting to see how we are ranked after this. I mean the losses have been close and ranked with exception of Texas. Still close and on the road, but a loss is a loss at this point.

We desperately need an inside presence on defense. Something that will allow our guards to tighten up on the outside knowing they'll have help if the ball gets behind them.

Sounds like we have a couple redshirt that will provide that presence. Should make a big difference.

DickBumpastache

At some point we’re either going to have to go Syracuse-style and zone up every possession (I would prefer 3-2 or 1-3-1), or we’ll have to sacrifice the interior and never help off the perimeter. It literally takes 1 drive/post entry and 1 kick-out to get us thrown off completely. OU shot 58% from 3 today...they’d have to shoot 87% from 2 to maintain the same efficiency.

smufrogger

Just make adjustments. I don't know what adjustments specifically, but you know, adjustments. All the teams that win make adjustments. When we play well its because we're actually making adjustments, but then we adjust back to the no adjustments strategy and lose the game.

We just need MORE ADJUSTMENTS!
More cowbell

Pharm Frog

At some point we’re either going to have to go Syracuse-style and zone up every possession (I would prefer 3-2 or 1-3-1), or we’ll have to sacrifice the interior and never help off the perimeter. It literally takes 1 drive/post entry and 1 kick-out to get us thrown off completely. OU shot 58% from 3 today...they’d have to shoot 87% from 2 to maintain the same efficiency.

I thought about that too but I figure that we'd get beat so badly on the weak side with Noi in there and probably get Vlad fouled out in the first half. There's no way that Vlad could run the baseline to make the 1-3-1 work so he'd have to play in the middle of the three I suppose and that would match him up against the opponents' cutters. 3-2 may work better but I think that's kinda what we've been trying already.

TheFDN

I thought about that too but I figure that we'd get beat so badly on the weak side with Noi in there and probably get Vlad fouled out in the first half. There's no way that Vlad could run the baseline to make the 1-3-1 work so he'd have to play in the middle of the three I suppose and that would match him up against the opponents' cutters. 3-2 may work better but I think that's kinda what we've been trying already.
Too many weak spots in a 1-3-1 unless you are trapping, which I don't see us doing.
I just don't think we are a very good defensive team no matter what we run unfortunately.

CountryFrog

Too many weak spots in a 1-3-1 unless you are trapping, which I don't see us doing.
I just don't think we are a very good defensive team no matter what we run unfortunately.
That second sentence seems to be the problem to me. If we miss the tournament then it will be the lack of consistency on defense that does us in more than anything. I don't know that there's any X's and O's solution because Dixon has tried several different things. This team either isn't giving enough effort on defense, or we simply don't have enough good defensive players to be a good unit on that end.

DickBumpastache

It’s hard to hide Vlad no matter what kind of defense you put out there. From what I’ve seen we’ve been almost exclusively 2-3...and we’re very quick to abandon it. I’d rather get mauled inside than get bombed on from 3. The interesting thing is the teams we haven’t seen yet (TTU, WVU, OKSt) struggle from deep. So maybe we’ll actually be a little better defensively down the stretch.

Pharm Frog

That second sentence seems to be the problem to me. If we miss the tournament then it will be the lack of consistency on defense that does us in more than anything. I don't know that there's any X's and O's solution because Dixon has tried several different things. This team either isn't giving enough effort on defense, or we simply don't have enough good defensive players to be a good unit on that end.

I also don't think we put enough consistent pressure on the opponents from an offensive standpoint to wear them down and make them easier to guard. We are quite good at scoring points but it doesn't seem that we're running people ragged like these recent teams have done to us.

Pharm Frog

It’s hard to hide Vlad no matter what kind of defense you put out there. From what I’ve seen we’ve been almost exclusively 2-3...and we’re very quick to abandon it. I’d rather get mauled inside than get bombed on from 3. The interesting thing is the teams we haven’t seen yet (TTU, WVU, OKSt) struggle from deep. So maybe we’ll actually be a little better defensively down the stretch.

I'm afraid that we may be the cure for those struggles. Inexplicably Baylor went 1-12 from 3 against us and many of those were wide open misses. We need a few more games of inexplicability.

froglash88

1. Basketball IQ (understanding situations)
2. Lack of desire on D (we play hard on D, but only sometimes).
3. Help Defense is almost nonexistent at times (help & recover) I’m sure Jamie will get them going. Although Vlad is still pretty bad in help D.
4. Transition D is improving