• The KillerFrogs

Love him or hate him...

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
I love the pirate.

99% of the Tech fan base would trade coach bro for he pirate right now, right?

I'm not sure that number is as high as you think. There are some Tech fans and boosters that didn't really appreciate Leach's coaching style.

Chongo94

Too many good ol' boys out in Lubbock, they never appreciated his quirkiness nor liked that he did what every coach anywhere does, i.e. explored or listened to offers from other schools.

stbrab

I'm not sure that number is as high as you think. There are some Tech fans and boosters that didn't really appreciate Leach's coaching style.
Biggest complaint I've heard is Leach wouldn't promote the University. Loved to coach, but wouldn't do the peripheral things...promote the other sports, smooze the boosters, etc.

Frogenstein

How could anyone other than Craig James hate Mike Leach?
I like him as well but I will take a shot at why people don’t like him:

He has an opinion on about everything so sooner or later he will take a position some don’t like. Some people can’t deal with opinions/thoughts that don’t align with their own.

If able he runs up the score. Still throwing deep up 30 lay in the 4th quarter. Lots of people don’t care for this at all.

He signed Craig James’s son. Therefor he willingly associates with (alleged) serial killers. God bless the 5.

That’s about all I got off the top of my head.

W

Way of the Frog

Tech is a really interesting place when you talk about the passion some people have for that school and the program and the amount of success they have had since they have been in the SWC and Big 12.

School is so damn isolated from the bulk of the population of the State of Texas they really are their own "state" and comparable to a situation like Iowa or Arkansas where Tech is the focus come football season.

Funny thing is for all the passion, support and bluster they are a little above .500 in the history of the program and I believe they have won or shared 4 conference titles since the joined the SWC and Big 12.

Mike Leach is the winningest coach in the history of Texas Tech football with 84 wins in 10 seasons coaching in Lubbock. He also as many have pointed out is opinionated, quirky as hell, and the only thing he cares about is coaching football. He is not the guy to fund raise, shake hands, or listen to alums drone on and one about the old days in Lubbock. He also has a bit of an ego as does any successful coach and got into a pissing match with his boss. Despite all of that his biggest fault is simply he was not nor never could be Spike Dykes,

I have never talked to anyone who ever met Spike who did not have good things to say about. Spike was one of those rare individuals who made everyone who he talked to think Spike gave a [ Finebaum ] no matter how many times he had heard the story, no matter how banal, and most importantly he was one of them.

Spike's teams didn't play great defense, a few of his better players didn't go to class, his teams averaged between 5-6 wins a year and the only place around here I have ever seen embrace a coach close to how Spike is embraced in Lubbock is Barry Switzer in Norman where he is Oklahoma's version of Elvis.

Leach is in the perfect place for him at Wazzu, the college football equivalent of the witness protection program. He is just one of a group of quirky, offensive minded coaches who love to throw the ball who have coached the Cougs.

Serious history of throwing quarterbacks at Wazzu as well as wide open offenses. Eastern Washington is pretty darn sparse and nothing short of bleak come February, but they have an abundance of big kids to play in the offensive lines, the high schools have been throwing the ball for decades, and it is a short plane ride to California and their fertile high school and JUCO recruiting grounds.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Biggest complaint I've heard is Leach wouldn't promote the University. Loved to coach, but wouldn't do the peripheral things...promote the other sports, smooze the boosters, etc.
Unfortunately that is a part of any head coaching job these days

a

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I've suspected that paid members have the edit function and the rest do not. I could of course be completely wrong.
everyone should have the edit function

Could be a browser thing

However if you are using a mobile device, the EDIT function is accessed via the MORE button

ifrog

everyone should have the edit function

Could be a browser thing

However if you are using a mobile device, the EDIT function is accessed via the MORE button

Edit is there on safari or chrome on mobile, always has been since the switch. I rarely use the desktop so maybe it's an issue with the desktop version.

Latest posts