• The KillerFrogs

Baylor boycotts him, so we need to support him

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Are we permitted to disagree with Wes? Angelo's looks amateurish? Cousins? Someone has been spending too much time in the office.

Of course you can disagree with me.

However its not time in the office I have been spending, its time at Blacks in Lockhart, Millers in Belton, etc. Living down here in Salado has put me closer to the cathedrals of BBQ and as much as it pains me to admit it, Angelos and Cousins don't hold a candle to some of these places

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I feel for y'all having to eat BBQ anywhere in Texas. I am guessing the absolute worst BBQ anywhere in Texas is hands down better than anything passing for BBQ up here.

Used to go to someplace in Pfugerville that was wonderful. But then you can pretty much pull into any hole in the wall place in Texas and find decent BBQ.

Bob Sugar

I might really sound like a grumpy old man now, but you do not go to a BBQ place to eat because of the fries. There is something against the laws of nature to either pick a BBQ or even Tex-Mex place because of the sides. Violates the very fabric that keeps this state together. Friends who are hardcore BBQ addicts take the position true BBQ restaurants don't even sell sides though to me that is a bit hard core and akin the argument you should never have a kitchen in a church building.
While I agree on a BBQ joint, I disagree with you on Tex-Mex when it comes to chips, salsa, and queso. I can overlook a mediocre entree if the place has dynamite chips and salsa. But if the chips and salsa are sub-par, then a dynamite entree is probably not enough to garner a return visit from me, unless my wife chooses the place.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I feel for y'all having to eat BBQ anywhere in Texas. I am guessing the absolute worst BBQ anywhere in Texas is hands down better than anything passing for BBQ up here.

Used to go to someplace in Pfugerville that was wonderful. But then you can pretty much pull into any hole in the wall place in Texas and find decent BBQ.
I feel your pain. There are pockets of good BBQ around the country but this is the largest concentration of great brisket, ribs, etc, in the world, right here in good old TX.

By the way, I did find a better than decent BBQ in Melbourne, Australia last year. He had come to TX and studied with one of the masters, then came back to Melbourne and started a business. Took him some time to find the right wood but for Aussie BBQ, it aint bad.

Frog-in-law1995

Just FYI...went to Black's in Lockhart a couple of months ago and it really wasn't very good. Maybe caught them on an off day, but it did not deserve its legend status.

Westsider

I recall saying that anyone serving 5 or 6 briskets out of a trailer and then closing when they ran out could not be considered a great bbq joint. That takes consistency in mass quantities to achieve. Well, Mr. Heim was on KFC.c at the time and, to his credit, posted a very cordial reply to my argument. So I felt obligated to go out of my way to drive from PK to his Magnolia place and check out his real restaurant when it opened.

I couldn't be happier for the fellow. He's working his butt off and has a great bbq joint......

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
I feel your pain. There are pockets of good BBQ around the country but this is the largest concentration of great brisket, ribs, etc, in the world, right here in good old TX.

By the way, I did find a better than decent BBQ in Melbourne, Australia last year. He had come to TX and studied with one of the masters, then came back to Melbourne and started a business. Took him some time to find the right wood but for Aussie BBQ, it aint bad.

I was in Beijing a few weeks ago and found a fairly good Texas BBQ place. I believe the owners have a place here in Texas and brought the concept over there.

Even had Hank Jr. and David Allan Coe blaring over the speakers. If I knew how to add a photo I'd post a pic.

Limp Lizard

Anybody here try Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX.? Saw something on TV about it a few months ago. Been around for 50 years in the hill country SW of Austin and is very popular. The wait is often for hours to get in. They go through over a million pounds of brisket a year.

A new 10.000 sq ft place is to open in Grapevine in late 2018. A couple of little shops in the airport, but not all that good from what I have read. Hopefully this new Grapevine one will be as good as the ones by Austin and will make the drive unnecessary.

Ron Swanson

Anybody here try Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX.? Saw something on TV about it a few months ago. Been around for 50 years in the hill country SW of Austin and is very popular. The wait is often for hours to get in. They go through over a million pounds of brisket a year.

A new 10.000 sq ft place is to open in Grapevine in late 2018. A couple of little shops in the airport, but not all that good from what I have read. Hopefully this new Grapevine one will be as good as the ones by Austin and will make the drive unnecessary.

A lot of people like to complain about Salt Lick, saying it's a tourist trap serving mediocre BBQ and only getting by on its name and atmosphere.

I loved it, thought it was a great place with very good meat. We had to wait a while, but if I recall, it was BYOB, so we just sat around and drank beer and played yard games.

Limp Lizard

I was in Beijing a few weeks ago and found a fairly good Texas BBQ place. I believe the owners have a place here in Texas and brought the concept over there.

Even had Hank Jr. and David Allan Coe blaring over the speakers. If I knew how to add a photo I'd post a pic.

Don't really think of Texas when I think of Hank Jr and DAC. Willie, for sure.

Horned Toad

I'm a fan of both Angelo's and Railhead because they are familiar and they make pretty good BBQ. Heim's has about the best brisket I've ever tasted anywhere though. The sausage was delicious and the ribs were superior. If you haven't been yet you need to go. I can't wait for the White Settlement Rd. location to open. Thanks for bringing great cue to Fort Worth!