• The KillerFrogs

OT: your go to bar at TCU and why

JugbandFrog

Pub.

I have too many memories. Forgot most of them.

Funniest memory has to do with the Pub (which I opened and closed several times) while I lived in San Francisco. The owner of the Kezar Sports Pub was named Dave, Irish fella, but every night he would announce the last cal for alcohol, very much like Pub Dave would, but without all the patrons screaming "scheiss you Dave!"

One night I was extremely wasted as a result of winning the Jagrbomb contest and when he called out the last call, I screamed "scheiss you Dave!" And was immediately thrown out. Haha

I went back in another day and explained it all away.

Bob

Nobody has mentioned the Horny Toad over by 8th Ave in the '80s.  I ran Hunters around the same time.

Limp Lizard

Big difference between watering holes for students-new grads and older folks.  

When I was a student, not many real "bars" around.  To get mixed drinks you had to join a "club."  

More recently, it will be hard, indeed to replace the Oui.

That is one thing I really admired about England, lots of local pubs, where everybody knows your name.  Just a short walk from wherever you are.  The English love to talk over a pint.

BABYFACE

texas_sicilian said:
I remember Cheyenne. A girl in one of the sororities got kicked out for participating in their best body night. She won, so there's that.
The tan line contests were legendary. Some girls that wanted to win would take it all off. I was judge once for this contest. Had a girl contestant once turn around drop her drawers and touch her toes.

Zubaz

I've been graduated from TCU for 12 years and the pub is still my favorite bar. Not favorite TCU bar, favorite overall bar. Dave is a national treasure.

Shorty

BrewingFrog said:
The funny thing, we still run through there at Homecoming for a pre-game shot. The simple process of walking from the back door to the bar, throwing down a shot, and walking out the front door still has the result of making you smell like you rolled around in an ashtray. Simply amazing...
The Pub is nonsmoking now.

peacock

1) the Pub
2) Bob kicking me out on my 21st birthday when he found I had been going there underage for 3 yrs ...he was so pissed!
3) beating Texas in 92 the whole Pub shut up when SportsCenter came on and when Kilborm ripped us for not tearing down the goalposts the whole bar started chanting "Goalposts! Goalposts!" About 35 of us went down to ACS at 2am to tear them down almost got the first one down before horned frog heat showed up...the other cool part about that night was the scoreboard with final score was still on at 2am they left it on the whole night!

Austintxfrog94

peacock said:
1) the Pub
2) Bob kicking me out on my 21st birthday when he found I had been going there underage for 3 yrs ...he was so pissed!
3) beating Texas in 92 the whole Pub shut up when SportsCenter came on and when Kilborm ripped us for not tearing down the goalposts the whole bar started chanting "Goalposts! Goalposts!" About 35 of us went down to ACS tat 2am to tear them down almost got the first one down before horned frog heat showed up...the other cool part about that night was the scoreboard with final score was still on at 2am they left it on the whole night!

23-14  One of the top 5 days of my life. 

Baja Frog

Flying T said:
Plaid Pig
Most talent I've ever seen in a bar anywhere in the world was any Thursday night at the Plaid Pig.......friends from UT would come up and be drooling all over themselves. They still talk about that place to this day.

Double V

Ron Swanson said:
Pub and Fat Harry's
This. Fat Harry's because under age drinking was cheap and easy. And girls. Pub after the 21st birthday (pretty much exclusively from 12-2) as the go-to "local" bar we could walk home from after hitting up Sundance square from about 9-12.