• The KillerFrogs

BAYLOR THREAD - Now Texas has a good college football stadium

froginaustin

Some of our friends have been over there goosing that board about--

*taking public money to build their stadium

*borrowing money (bonds) for the stadium

*being unable to attract enough philanthropy to build a stadium without borrowing or taking public cash

*toilet seat stadium design

*Brazos River through their campus is a doo-doo brown sewer and skeeter breeder

*recruiting thugs, kicked out of other schools or programs for misbehavior

Funny stuff, some of it.

Hardly a mystery why a few bf.com posters are so defensive about their stadium plans. After all, they've been telling each other (and visiting fans have been telling them, too) that Floyd Casey is a crappy stadium, for years.

Sammy11

Several points in reply-

1- That was a 3rd party article from the Houston Free Press. Not a BU guy to my knowledge.

2- Omitting ACS's remodel was a hilariously bad oversight. Until our new digs are built it is at least #3 in the state ahead of Floyd Casey Stadium, Tech, UH, SMU, and the CUSA, Sun Belt, & WAC schools. UT is by far the best.

3- Lots of TCU fans keep ripping BU for not footing the whole bill of the new stadium. How much did TCU's remodel cost in total?

4- Having posted there for an eternity it seems like, most Baylor fans recognize how good TCU's stadium is going to be. That said you certainly have some idiots on any board. I get the sense that a similar acknowledgement is made here in between good natured joking. Either way both fanbases get a nicer road venue than our games over the last 2 years provided,

Young and Horned

Several points in reply-

1- That was a 3rd party article from the Houston Free Press. Not a BU guy to my knowledge.

2- Omitting ACS's remodel was a hilariously bad oversight. Until our new digs are built it is at least #3 in the state ahead of Floyd Casey Stadium, Tech, UH, SMU, and the CUSA, Sun Belt, & WAC schools. UT is by far the best.

3- Lots of TCU fans keep ripping BU for not footing the whole bill of the new stadium. How much did TCU's remodel cost in total?

4- Having posted there for an eternity it seems like, most Baylor fans recognize how good TCU's stadium is going to be. That said you certainly have some idiots on any board. I get the sense that a similar acknowledgement is made here in between good natured joking. Either way both fanbases get a nicer road venue than our games over the last 2 years provided,

I agree with him, I think we have gotten a lot of great admiration for our stadium from most schools and have seen a majority from Baylor fans admire it and like it.

WColeman

But many of them are critical of the same aspects of their new stadium that we've mentioned here, namely the thin, white poles that surround the outside, the fabric roof that invites comparisons to European soccer stadiums, and the long stretches of blank brick walls that lack any architectural flourishes. As far as the rest of the stadium goes, they seem most enthusiastic about being able to sailgate prior to games in the "lagoon" and the Bear Habitat in the end zone, which will allow visiting fans to watch a mildly sedated, overweight bear lay on its' back and drink Dr. Pepper for two hours. :blink:

Right now, they're operating on a rather idyllic view of the place because many of the plans have remained curiously vague (no idea what the premium seating or concourse areas will look like), so they are able to project their "conceptual view" on the place. Once the place actually starts taking shape and they see that the Brazos is actually a muddy brown and their prized lagoon is actually a catch basin for all the floating debris from the river, they'll develop a more realistic view.

XIIFrog

Several points in reply-

I agree with him, I think we have gotten a lot of great admiration for our stadium from most schools and have seen a majority from Baylor fans admire it and like it.

Agreed..good point about stadium cost, as their brand new stadium will cost $86 million more than our renovations. That's a lot of cash to raise...we would've needed to sell a few more founder's suites for sure.

Not to take away anything from the Carter...if you consider the renovations we have done previously, it would have cost way more than $164 million if it was built brand new. I still think ours will be better.

froginaustin

Several points in reply-

. . .

. . ..

Serious question, deserves a more serious answer than I can provide, but here goes.

The renovated AGCS was built in stages. The first was the south endzone complex, that I think cost ~$27mm.

The second was the west stands, that were supposed to cost ~$105mm, but I think ended up costing a lot more than that because of add-ons that were included when fund raising went better than anticipated.

The third was to be the east side stands, although that "stage" was built sooner than originally planned because of better than anticipated fund raising. I think that cost ~$40mm.

So TCU raised and spent at least $187mm, if my memory serves me.

TronCarter

Worth noting that Baylor's costs are due to the fact they're making a new marina, a bridge, all new parking lots, etc. Like someone said earlier, they're starting from the ground up. Naturally it will cost more money, but they also decided to build upon and enhance the waterfront.

And it will be a nice stadium, despite the ironic resemblance it bears to a toilet seat when viewed from overhead.

weklfrog

Several points in reply-

TCU raised and spent about $164 million for the remodel. Even though baylor's new stadium will cost considerably more than that, they only expect to raise $100 to $120 million from private donations and only have about 80% of that total. So TCU in spite of needing less, raised a whole bunch more. The rest of the cost of baylor's stadium will come from $35 million from the city of waco and borrowed money.

cdsfrog

Yeah we raised 187 million, I sure it would have taken longer to get to 250 but we wouldnt have changed the plan.

New ACS > Kyle Field I think

UT still wins

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Several points in reply-

TCU's stadium cost 165 million but its paid for and can earn revenues immediately. Its all donor funded.

We can rent out the club rooms for meetings, receptions, gatherings, etc and you probably will be able to do that too but the difference is that our revenues are pure profit and yours will go towards paying down your debt.

We could have spent as much as Baylor but chose a different funding vehicle and opted to own it before ground was broken.

Your new digs will be nice