• The KillerFrogs

"Yu" better believe it

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
The one argument for tying up that much money in Prince thusly going free-agent poor for a few years: with the farm system we've got, we shouldn't need to sign any bigtime guys for a good bit. Hamilton is my favorite Ranger, but locking him down in a similar way is optimistic thinking. His high-performance window is much smaller than the length that contract would be.

maximilian

Hamilton needs to be left to arbitration and then let walk after. He is way too big a risk to give Jayson Werth money to.

Fielder >>>>>>

maximilian

Let me clarify: Hamilton is the better player right now, but he's older, and the risk of injury (or other relapse-related issues) is so very high, that you go with the 3-4 guaranteed years of Fielder's performance, and at a position where the offense is lacking, rather than CF.

He wants 5/6/7 years? I wouldn't go 2 years at the money he's asking.

My cousin played little league with Prince back in Grosse Pointe, said he was big as a kid too.

Prince originally played little league in Irving. He and former Coppell standout and Marlins draft pick Jason Stokes were the only 7-year-olds I'd ever seen hit a homerun over the fence in Irving's Pinto League parks. My brother was a year ahead of him but was easily outweighed by 60 lbs. At 7 Prince was at least a buck and a quarter-a serious butterball. Cecil lived in Las Colinas at the time-literally a 3 wood away from the Four Seasons where the Rangers met with Prince last week. If memory serves me right Prince's mother was from Duncanville or had some strong ties to the town. I think Prince only played there two years before they moved to Florida.

Oddly enough, the following year after my brother played against Prince he was on a team with former Braves 1B and ASU standout Bob Horner's son who lived about a 5 iron away from Cecil. A couple years later John Kruk dated a woman who's son also played in Irving's little league. This was also the same league that produced Kerry Wood and 3/4 of Grand Prairie's baseball empire of the mid 90s. If you want to go way back into the way back machine I played ball with former TCU catchers Dane Phillips and Carlos Silva in the same little league. Dane's father Mike played ball for a while with the Mets, Cards, Expos and a couple other teams.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The one argument for tying up that much money in Prince thusly going free-agent poor for a few years: with the farm system we've got, we shouldn't need to sign any bigtime guys for a good bit. Hamilton is my favorite Ranger, but locking him down in a similar way is optimistic thinking. His high-performance window is much smaller than the length that contract would be.

One thing that gets to me is, what if your farm system has some talent potential that would equal, or come real close to Fielder? Performance at a fraction of the price.

I simply balk at the idea of paying 1/5 to 1/4 of your revenues to a single player for possibly 5-7 years. Sure, he has been a model of health up to now. But those knees have been supporting all that weight for a long time. Lower back is probably getting tender, too. You are rolling the dice on the future of a single player.

What will the Angels look like in 2 years? Albert Pujols is sucking up a goodly bit of their revenues. With the drain on their pitching staff (and I'm talking quality relief here) they may wind up losing a lot of games 10-9. Albert can whack all the homers he wants, but when the other guys score 1 more...

It's a toughie. But I would let the blithering Yankees pay a mint to all those Big Players. Makes it that much sweeter when your scrappier, hungrier guys beat their overpaid asses when it counts...

dkfrog

it comes down to paying Hamilton or Prince, and Hamilton is too big of an injury/other risk. You play Prince at 1B/DH and let Hamilton walk at the end of his contract unless you can sign him for an extremely reasonable price.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
One thing that gets to me is, what if your farm system has some talent potential that would equal, or come real close to Fielder? Performance at a fraction of the price.
Not for some years though. You have to rotate guys like Olt, Profar, Martin in and let them get a year or two under their belt alongside the guys you have in the core now. We're really set up well to have this churning rotation of signed guys and rookies. A good variety of contract lengths for the core guys that let you lose not more than one or two guys any one year, with a solid stud prospect able to step in at the right time. Fielder could hit 40 HRs next year. Olt can't. Big difference for a team whose window is obviously open right now.

I simply balk at the idea of paying 1/5 to 1/4 of your revenues to a single player for possibly 5-7 years. Sure, he has been a model of health up to now. But those knees have been supporting all that weight for a long time. Lower back is probably getting tender, too. You are rolling the dice on the future of a single player.
Ranger revenue from a couple different sources including Forbes is around $200M per year so you're really looking at 10% not a fifth or a quarter. That's still disproportionate of course, but big-time players tend to command disproportionate salaries. You're right, he's been carrying that weight for a while. So the fact that he's still injury free at 27 (we're not talking 18) makes me think that his genetic predisposition is towards a really sturdy musculoskeletal system. We have no idea how well he trains either, though given evidence of physical durability I'd guess pretty well. I don't fear injury more than any other player as the stress/sturdiness ratio might be about the same. Remember, his position will simply demand that for most of the game he's standing there, and moving ten-fifteen feet in any one direction. He's not crashing into walls.

What will the Angels look like in 2 years? Albert Pujols is sucking up a goodly bit of their revenues. With the drain on their pitching staff (and I'm talking quality relief here) they may wind up losing a lot of games 10-9. Albert can whack all the homers he wants, but when the other guys score 1 more...
With the guys the Angels have developed and the moves they've made, I anticipate they'll be fine in two years. Smart front offices are able to do things when other front offices say "our hands are tied by the money, there's nothing we can do." They'll figure it out. Thankfully, so will JD and Nolan.

It's a toughie. But I would let the blithering Yankees pay a mint to all those Big Players. Makes it that much sweeter when your scrappier, hungrier guys beat their overpaid asses when it counts...
Well, the blithering Yanks don't seem to want to chase Fielder. And the scrappier, hungrier guys thing doesn't really apply to the Rangers anymore. Like it or not we're starting to resemble the big boys more than not.

cdsfrog

Let's get back to Yu. I think unlike Dice K, this pitcher will work. I love the opt out clauses for 5 years btw, I would just fine if that happened :biggrin:

MTfrog5

The Rangers are turning into the Yankees of the south. Just buying whoever they want. Trying to buy a championship.

Not really cause first base production has been a problem unless you want Young playing there in the World Series again. Most teams got after the best person to fill their need and that just happens to be Prince. Rangers lost CJ so they go get the best avalible in Darvish.