• The KillerFrogs

Yahoo! Sports: AAC attempting to take all eight remaining Big 12 members

punter9

Inevitably?

ya ya nothing is a certainty in life. But with a forward trajectory of uncertainty impacting your nil and recruiting keeping 8 massively expensive programs together to extract value to 2025 is unlikely. We can probably afford the bagman fee being small private and wealthy. Good luck wvu, osu and, tech asking for more money. My mind was directly on wvu though. Their travel has to be ridiculous being in the b12-4+2-2+?

HG73

ya ya nothing is a certainty in life. But with a forward trajectory of uncertainty impacting your nil and recruiting keeping 8 massively expensive programs together to extract value to 2025 is unlikely. We can probably afford the bagman fee being small private and wealthy. Good luck wvu, osu and, tech asking for more money. My mind was directly on wvu though. Their travel has to be ridiculous being in the b12-4+2-2+?
No worse than ours in the MW.

FBallFan123

We could go 4-8 this year and still be extremely attractive to a place like the AAC.

Any AAC team is still Meg Griffin on a good day.

5529-jpg.jpg

So how does this play when inevitably we lose one or two of wvu osu tt? How’s our leverage with the aac looking
Please tell me know one is concerned about losing leverage and jeopardizing a bid to the freaking AAC. Going to AAC is a for sure possibility but it’s the absolute worst case scenario. Any of the little 8 left behind could go 0-12 the next few years and still dictate terms to the AAC. It’s the absolute worst case scenario of anyone left behind and the AAC would gladly eat a [ Finebaum ] sandwich to get any of said schools.

82 Frog Fever

So how does this play when inevitably we lose one or two of wvu osu tt? How’s our leverage with the aac looking

Move where?
Nobody moves unless the PAC12 or ACC expands.
Unless the B10 makes moves to stay competitive with the SEC, it looks like P12/ACC don’t want to expand.
It dominos, they just need a push.
Regardless, the AAC would be a bottom of the barrel choice.

Virginia Frog

Move where?
Unless the B10 makes moves to stay competitive with the SEC, it looks like P12/ACC don’t want to expand.
Please explain to me this AAC business considering the following:

1) UT & OU go to the SEC on Jul 1, 2025.
They are committed to the "leftover" 8 until that time, right?

2) There are no forthcoming, now or maybe ever, P4/5 offers to any of the the leftovers.

Why do we do ANYTHING at all?

Can UT/OU unilaterally just up and leave before the end of our B12 contract unless we say so? Can't we freeze them in place?

If they pay us a premium to leave early for the SEC - I get it - we take the money and move forward for whatever year we agree. We then backfill and the AAC/MWC/BYU is our hunting ground. (and choose schools that ensure greater distance from the leftover ACCs and MWC/as the #4 or #5 best conference (#4 because we may prove to be a BETTER fb and bb conference than the Pac-12 in the final analysis.)

We then negotiate TV/media deals going forward with our new line-up of schools 10 or 12. Yep, lesser $...that's life! We still have a guaranteed path to the playoffs in fb, and a stout bb league.

That's it. This AAC raid is nonsense. Our money would be much diminished in such a case.

Last edited:

PDM92

Full disclosure: I'm a UH grad. I read this board to get any intel that might impact UH. It seems, though, that you guys don't have any greater insight into what's about to happen to TCU than we do about what is going to happen to UH. But my best guess is that we're going to end up in the same conference ultimately--whether that's some remnant of the Big12 or the AAC. And whatever it is, it won't be the equivalent of today's P5.

It seems pretty clear that the Pac12, Big10, and ACC aren't clamoring to scoop up the remaining Big12 teams. Otherwise, ESPN would not have been attempting to entice the AAC to take some or all of the remaining 8.

Folks here see the AAC as beneath them. And I guess that comes with spending 8 or 10 years in the Big12. But the reality is that without UT and OU the remainder of the Big12 are in the same boat as the "top" of the G5, which is where I like to think UH resides. And that's on the outside looking in.

As for riding out the next 4 years with UT and OU in the conference, there is virtually no way that happens. Although it seems unlikely that the Big12 will splinter in the near term--because they have nowhere to go currently--surely UT and OU (maybe with the help of ESPN) will write checks (likely at a discount to the amounts owed) and move on. And I think that's why the AAC discussion is pertinent now.

If TCU isn't interested in the AAC, are they certain that they land somewhere better? And is it certain that TCU will have an open invitation to the AAC? Maybe. But I'm not sure that thesis is unassailable.

CountryFrog

Full disclosure: I'm a UH grad. I read this board to get any intel that might impact UH. It seems, though, that you guys don't have any greater insight into what's about to happen to TCU than we do about what is going to happen to UH. But my best guess is that we're going to end up in the same conference ultimately--whether that's some remnant of the Big12 or the AAC. And whatever it is, it won't be the equivalent of today's P5.

It seems pretty clear that the Pac12, Big10, and ACC aren't clamoring to scoop up the remaining Big12 teams. Otherwise, ESPN would not have been attempting to entice the AAC to take some or all of the remaining 8.

Folks here see the AAC as beneath them. And I guess that comes with spending 8 or 10 years in the Big12. But the reality is that without UT and OU the remainder of the Big12 are in the same boat as the "top" of the G5, which is where I like to think UH resides. And that's on the outside looking in.

As for riding out the next 4 years with UT and OU in the conference, there is virtually no way that happens. Although it seems unlikely that the Big12 will splinter in the near term--because they have nowhere to go currently--surely UT and OU (maybe with the help of ESPN) will write checks (likely at a discount to the amounts owed) and move on. And I think that's why the AAC discussion is pertinent now.

If TCU isn't interested in the AAC, are they certain that they land somewhere better? And is it certain that TCU will have an open invitation to the AAC? Maybe. But I'm not sure that thesis is unassailable.
All of the Big 12 schools will have their pick of whatever G5 conference. With the AAC being the best then that's where they'd likely end up if it came to that. Any other line of thinking is delusional because A) all of these 8 programs would bring added value to that league and B) if it comes to that then it won't be all 8 of the leftover schools. It will only be what's left of schools who didn't get the invite to other power conferences because C) if none of the Big 12 leftovers get invited to other power conferences then there's no reason for them to break up at all and will instead add however many teams they want from the G5 leagues.

As to Houston getting an invite. It sucks for you guys because you're absolutely deserving but the likelihood of the conference adding another Texas team is incredibly small unless they decide they want to go all the way up to 14 or 16 teams. At which point UH would almost have to be one of those programs. I have no insider knowledge but assuming they only add 2 (which seems most likely) or even 4 then they'll almost definitely be looking to new markets with schools like BYU, UCF, Cincy, Memphis, maybe even ECU or Col St.

McFroggin

Almost 0% chance UH or SMU will be in the same conference as us. It would essentially mean that TCU failed everything else and comes alone or with maybe 2 other schools to the AAC.

flyfishingfrog

So you weren’t around when the SWC failed evidently

1. Yes TCU or any of the little 8 can get AAC invitations any time the want. The AAC would bend over backwards to add ANY of the remaining 8 to add some much needed credibility to conference.
2. Yes the AAC is beneath TCU and any of the remaining 8. I doubt TCU or any of the little 8 have any interest in AAC unless it’s nuclear option and time to take suicide pill.
3. Nothing against AAC. They are for sure the best of the dumpster fire kiddo table conferences. TCU may end up there because there are no other options but it’s not because they are interested. The AAC is like hooking up with the prettiest ugly girl at a party or trying to park in a handicap cap spot. Really you are just trying to make sure no one sees you doing it.
4. Houston isn’t getting added to Big 12 unless the Big 12 gets turned down by first choices. Nothing against Houston but not gonna see TX expansion.

Let me see if my math is correct, and I’m no mathematical genius.
I see the money over the next 4 years is a win-win for TCU.
OUT leaves in 2 years, won’t they owe at least $40m each? That would be roughly $10m to the remaining 8.
But during this 2 year period each school receives about $40m each. So after 2 years, we receive $90m. Jumping to or bringing in others schools and signing a new tv pact would drop our projected monies to about $15m.

So, why is there a rush for OUT to leave? If they stay the full 4 years, we make $160m and then see what choices we have. Maybe during that 4 year period, we could become more attractive than we are now.

It’s all conjecture anyhow, but the way I see it, if they stay the full 4 years, we come out of it in pretty good shape. I don’t see it as a time to panic right now.

Klaw

If the little 8 do not find homes in another Power conference, absolutely I believe that Houston should be invited to join our conference along with Cincinnati, UCF and BYU.

Houston is located in the 5th largest metro and it is a hot bed for recruiting. UH also has a good football, and great basketball. They will be an asset and bring value to the conference.

McFroggin

If the little 8 do not find homes in another Power conference, absolutely I believe that Houston should be invited to join our conference along with Cincinnati, UCF and BYU.

Houston is located in the 5th largest metro and it is a hot bed for recruiting. UH also has a good football, and great basketball. They will be an asset and bring value to the conference.

All wrong. If the 8 stick, we will add only 2 before 2025. There is no point in adding a 3rd as it will decrease our revenue. The schools added MUST be from new geographical areas for future tv deals. That means no UH.

punter9

Move where?

In general I’d say we are greatly under estimating the condition of the remaining 8 in 2-3 years. Every school in the big, sec (ou &texas…..),pac 12 have an advantage now. Transfer portal will kill the 8. Yes today we have an amazing position but for the foreseeable future if I’m talented enough to play for today’s Tcu/tech/osu etc I’m choosing something more stable if I dont have a family tie or likewise to those schools.

while we make the best cash sticking it to Texas, Ou and ESPN our brand will deteriorate every year we let our future look uncertain, and our talent will decline.

Latest posts