• The KillerFrogs

Various recruiting news: O'Connor, McCord & Williams

rynosdad

Kenny Vacarro made a deal with Mack that he would stay another year and not go pro if his little brother got a 'ship. At least they got something for this 'ship, when they offered Case McCoy his brother had already graduated. The punchline is that Case ended up their best QB this year - epic fail.

This is the kind of nepotism you would expect at a State run institution, and the reason why I hate it when legacies are discussed as possible Frog recruits.
I hear the Schobels are looking for you. :laugh:

West Coast Johnny

Well hold on now. I'm sure you don't mean to say ALL legacies, right? Iagree ofcourse that you can't go handing out scholarships to your players' cousins and uncles just because they happen to be related because it's about merit. But guys like Townsend Jr. and Fuller (just to name a recent few) earned their consideration and then some. I think it's great to have legacies for a multitude of reasons not the least of which being

A) Athleticism is often hereditary

B) A familial affinity with a university is an extra incentive to take pride in your efforts

C) It adds to the "community" component of the athletic programs

No, don't get me wrong. I don't mind at all the coaches offering legacies. I hate legacies being discussed on message boards as possible TCU recruits. The coaches should pick the players, not the allumni and their friends. I remember a lot of sympathy (pressure) from Alumni about a defensive end that ended up at UTEP. I don't think its right for Alumni or former players to pressure coaches to offer legacies and its part of the problem at UT that they give in to this crap.

IronSkillet

No, don't get me wrong. I don't mind at all the coaches offering legacies. I hate legacies being discussed on message boards as possible TCU recruits. The coaches should pick the players, not the allumni and their friends. I remember a lot of sympathy (pressure) from Alumni about a defensive end that ended up at UTEP. I don't think its right for Alumni or former players to pressure coaches to offer legacies and its part of the problem at UT that they give in to this crap.

Oh, haha. Well that makes perfect sense and I agree with you. I was confused about your meaning in that previous post.

Raw Frog

Looks like Otha Peters was impressed with his visit last weekend, as he stated that it "exceeded his expectations". Looks promising with him too.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Is the staff at the point of just taking best available and not specifying position with the last few spots?

Probably 4 slots left and we may lose 1 commit to make 5, 2 of those are definitely slotted for a safety and a LBer, one at least for a DL. That gives them 1 or 2 slots to play with and it is tight because I know they would love to get some more big guys in the class but also they love some of the athletes looking hard at them also.

FROGDADDY

Looks like Otha Peters was impressed with his visit last weekend, as he stated that it "exceeded his expectations". Looks promising with him too.

How would this look as our 2014 defense? DE - Matt Anderson and Fields, DT - Hunter/Lewis, LB Hilliard/Peters, DB - Daje Johnson and Kolby Griffin, S - Pope/J Anderson/Fuller. Good lord! And that's leaving out guys like Aldridge, Garrett, Hackett, Bailey, etc....in the secondary.

Edit - forgot David Johnson at DL.

maximilian

How would this look as our 2014 defense? DE - Matt Anderson and Fields, DT - Hunter/Lewis, LB Hilliard/Peters, DB - Daje Johnson and Kolby Griffin, S - Pope/J Anderson/Fuller. Good lord! And that's leaving out guys like Aldridge, Garrett, Hackett, Bailey, etc....in the secondary.

Looks good, but Pope will not play safety for us, as of now anyway. Everyone has him at WR after his senior year, including TCU.

I see the etc... referring to the other guys in the secondary, but after watching tapes from last years class I am interested to see what Jamie Showtime Byrd from Dade City, FL does after a year in the weight room. That kid brought the hat everytime he layed into someone. I would love to hear how the redshirt freshmen are coming along. Seemed to be some great DB's in that class that liked a little physical contact. My favorite part of watching Verret this past year was watching him tackle players after the catch. Very sound technique from what I remember.

FROGDADDY

I see the etc... referring to the other guys in the secondary, but after watching tapes from last years class I am interested to see what Jamie Showtime Byrd from Dade City, FL does after a year in the weight room. That kid brought the hat everytime he layed into someone. I would love to hear how the redshirt freshmen are coming along. Seemed to be some great DB's in that class that liked a little physical contact. My favorite part of watching Verret this past year was watching him tackle players after the catch. Very sound technique from what I remember.

Our second string secondary may well have more talent than many of our starting units over the years.

IronSkillet

I told a friend just this morning that I predicted Byrd would be an all Big 12 selection at S in a couple years. I understand he has been very impressive- "one of the biggest hitters" on the team and has really impressive ball hawking skills. With a year to polish his coverage, I think he's going to be a monster.