• The KillerFrogs

UC Regents clear way for UCLA to join the Big-10!

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I was really hoping CA would do CA things and block this from happening resulting in the following:

• Big 10 shrugs shoulders and calls Oregon and Washington
  • Big 12 takes the four corners
  • Espn/Fox laugh at the remaining Pac 12 members and tell them to join the Mountain West or accept $5MM per school
  • CA overreacts and scrambles the legislature to save the day
  • Legislature does not save the day
  • Rather they think their influence is so great they institute a sports tax to be paid by every visiting team from out of state to make up the funding shortfal in UCLA/Cal athletics
  • The rest of the country laughs and wishes them luck finding games to play in state
  • The people of CA are eventually taxed at an even higher rate to pay for UCLA/Cal athletics
  • Newsom gets re-elected for saving sports

Limey Frog

This is a drop in the bucket compared to what they are making.

I don't know about that. If it ends up being $10M/yr. plus their increased travel costs for all teams (which will be in the same ballpark), $20M/yr. is a big chunk out of the projected annual payout of $100M. Then they have to compete at Big Ten scale on 4/5 of the other programs' budget. That's not trivial.

I was very worried about this stuff in the summer when there was some possibility of a Pac raid on the Big 12 that might leave TCU out in the cold, especially when we hadn't been worth a darn at football in five years. Our football program stock is currently (as y'all may be aware) pretty high, so that problem is fixed for the near term at least. Plus with the recent Big 12 TV deal I don't think there's any need for our conference to 'go big' or suffer irrelevance. I'd still take the 'four corners' schools if that were available, but I don't want Oregon or Washington for the simple reason that they don't really want that themselves. After all these years I'm very excited to see TCU in a solid, more or less major conference full of competitive programs all basically on the same level and with no malcontents who think they're a bigger deal than everyone else. I can't wait; it's going to be awesome.

I think the best thing for everyone, and the most likely at this point, is for the Pac N to sign a TV deal that is roughly equal in numbers to the Big 12's (probably with some role for Amazon), and for us all to let the impact of the new playoff format on the college sports landscape play out. I'm guessing that the likes of Oregon, Utah, TCU, K-State, etc. are going to do pretty well out of having a clearer path to the playoff than some UCLA, Aggy and Texas types. That should stabilize things.

Last edited:

Big Frog II

I don't know about that. If it ends up being $10M/yr. plus their increased travel costs for all teams (which will be in the same ballpark), $20M/yr. is a big chunk out of the projected annual payout of $100M. Then they have to compete at Big Ten scale on 4/5 of the other programs' budget. That's not trivial.

I was very worried about this stuff in the summer when there was some possibility of a Pac raid on the Big 12 that might leave TCU out in the cold, especially when we hadn't been worth a darn at football in five years. Our football program stock is currently (as y'all may be aware) pretty high, so that problem is fixed for the near term at least. Plus with the recent Big 12 TV deal I don't think there's any need for our conference to 'go big' or suffer irrelevance. I'd still take the 'four corners' schools if that were available, but I don't want Oregon or Washington for the simple reason that they don't really want that themselves. After all these years I'm very excited to see TCU in a solid, more or less major conference full of competitive programs all basically on the same level and with no malcontents who think they're a bigger deal than everyone else. I can't wait; it's going to be awesome.

I think the best thing for everyone, and the most likely at this point, is for the Pac N to sign a TV deal that is roughly equal in numbers to the Big 12's (probably with some role for Amazon), and for us all to let the impact of the new playoff format on the college sports landscape play out. I'm guessing that the likes of Oregon, Utah, TCU, K-State, etc. are going to do pretty well out of having a clearer path to the playoff than some UCLA, Aggy and Texas types. That should stabilize things.
The Pac may get offers of money similar to the Big12 but that very well may put them on Amazon or Apple. That in my estimation is like being banished to another planet. Out of sight, out of mind will make the Pac even more irrelevant. If Oregon and Washington want a bigger piece of the pie, the 4 corners will probably say adios and ask to join the Big 12.

HG73

The Pac may get offers of money similar to the Big12 but that very well may put them on Amazon or Apple. That in my estimation is like being banished to another planet. Out of sight, out of mind will make the Pac even more irrelevant. If Oregon and Washington want a bigger piece of the pie, the 4 corners will probably say adios and ask to join the Big 12.
I think PAC will be ALL Amazon and lower $$ than Big12. Two more teams are DYING to leave, who would offer them a good TV deal?

Last edited:

jack the frog

On the subject of the PAC and a something I don’t follow by design, a couple of what have been reasonable ponyfans posters claim that the ponies to the PAC is pretty well a done deal along with a the new grant of rights. Of course someone over there says Amazon is going to pay them SEC $$ also which is madness I suppose. Are the choices that slim now? Grab the last team in Texas that can fog a mirror? What’s the story for those in the know?

Big Frog II

On the subject of the PAC and a something I don’t follow by design, a couple of what have been reasonable ponyfans posters claim that the ponies to the PAC is pretty well a done deal along with a the new grant of rights. Of course someone over there says Amazon is going to pay them SEC $$ also which is madness I suppose. Are the choices that slim now? Grab the last team in Texas that can fog a mirror? What’s the story for those in the know?
If the PAC thinks SMU will bring them more money and more viewers, they are dumber than we thought.

Latest posts