• The KillerFrogs

Told You So

Kaiser

An internal investigation began in 2009 after the school was prompted by the NCAA. The probe discovered 63 incoming football players received illegal benefits for housing, transportation and meals worth a total $4,934. The amount of the violations ranged from $2.34 to a maximum of $417.55 and have been reimbursed.

Kinda makes the whole Cam Newton situation insignificant, don't it......

I don't think it's the dollar amount that's the issue. I think it's that it spread across 5 sports and was pervasive and violates recruiting 101. Everyone knows you can't even give a recruit a ride across campus. This being followed by the major violations by the women's tennis team would seem to constitute lack of institutional control. I don't know how many sports Boise sponsors, but it seems like half of them are breaking the rules at a single time.

2themax

I don't think it's the dollar amount that's the issue. I think it's that it spread across 5 sports and was pervasive and violates recruiting 101. Everyone knows you can't even give a recruit a ride across campus. This being followed by the major violations by the women's tennis team would seem to constitute lack of institutional control. I don't know how many sports Boise sponsors, but it seems like half of them are breaking the rules at a single time.

Agreed. 63 viollations show a habitual willingness to violate NCAA rules witth no regard.

Kaiser

Agreed. 63 viollations show a habitual willingness to violate NCAA rules witth no regard.

Here is a link as to what Lack of Institutional Control means.

http://compliance.pac-10.org/thetools/instctl.pdf

It's more of an issue as to what safeguards and how vigilant Boise was. Additionally, number 8 on the list seems to be satisfied by the women's tennis coach's violations alone. Bottom line is Bosie State Football is only guilty of minor violations and will not face any serious sanctions. The women's tennis program on the other hand.....
dry.gif

Kaiser

Boise self imposes the loss of 3 football scholarships over 2 years. They also will lose 3 practices before this years season opener and 3 practices before next years season opener.

SparkysDad

They sent death threats to their Brotzman and you people try to defend this team and their fans?

The same fanbase also almost immediately started a Facebook page in response to the one or two lunatics that were threatening the kicker that had well over 50,000 fans on it in very short order.

FWIW, the football violations are almost exclusively repeated improper housing and transportation violations. These are the ones where an incoming LOI-signed recruit was crashing on the floor or couch of current players, getting rides from current players and getting treated to a meal or two.

23 of these violations happened in the summer of '09 (after BSU realized the couch-crashing was a violation) where the incoming recruits actually paid full share for rent, meals and gas for rides, but the NCAA still says it's a violation because the coaches forwarded the recruits name to current players that might want a paying roomate, therefore (according to the NCAA) it was "arranged by the coaches" and a violation even though the recruits in question were paying full price themselves.

The tennis program, particularly on the women's side, is definitely the Auburn/Ohio State of Women's Tennis. Boise State is deeply sorry for cheating at a sport that noboby cares about!

Kaiser

FWIW, the football violations are almost exclusively repeated improper housing and transportation violations. These are the ones where an incoming LOI-signed recruit was crashing on the floor or couch of current players, getting rides from current players and getting treated to a meal or two.

23 of these violations happened in the summer of '09 (after BSU realized the couch-crashing was a violation) where the incoming recruits actually paid full share for rent, meals and gas for rides, but the NCAA still says it's a violation because the coaches forwarded the recruits name to current players that might want a paying roomate, therefore (according to the NCAA) it was "arranged by the coaches" and a violation even though the recruits in question were paying full price themselves.

The tennis program, particularly on the women's side, is definitely the Auburn/Ohio State of Women's Tennis. Boise State is deeply sorry for cheating at a sport that noboby cares about!

Some violations to the tune of $400 and it wasn't just the occasional kid on a couch. It also included coaches organizing low cost summer housing and transportation. My link

The bottom line is that providing unenrolled kids a free place to stay (even just a couch), transport, and food allowed these kids to practice with the football team sooner and more frequently than teams who were in NCAA compliance; something that gives Boise an unfair advantage. None of this stuff is horrible and Boise still runs a clean football program, but the self-imposed sanctions are well deserved and in reality are only a slap on the wrist that won't be costing Boise very much.

Regarding your comment regarding tennis, unfortunately it seems your compliance director had the same attitude. The world extends beyond football and you have to make sure all of your sports are in compliance. And yelling Auburn & OSU are worse isn't really a defense.

Kaiser

Actually mentioning Auburn and tOSU is a pretty good defense in my book.
Only if you include UNC, Okie State, UGA, USC, FSU, and Bama as programs who haven't gotten away with it in recent times. UConn Tenn & Memphis too if you count basketball.

Cam Newton cannot be a blanket excuse for why nobody can be punished in the future. You might as well yell OJ at every criminal trial as a defense.

It sickens me that Auburn pulled off a coverup.