• The KillerFrogs

Thoughts on last night's hoops

y2kFrog

I don't think it's a knock on Fish as much as it may be on ARob. I wonder if he's trying to do too much when Fish is healthy in order to earn playing time. It's the same idea as a hitter in baseball "squeezing the bat to hard" and not getting results.

I've noticed the same thing you noticed and it just seems to me that in the NIT run and last night he seems way more relaxed than any other times. He's not thinking and over-thinking; he's just playing, reacting to what the defense gives, and relying on instinct. Maybe the 7ish games without Fish is too small a sample size to make such an assertion, but it just seems like ARob is a different player when Fish isn't in the lineup and I wonder if that's why.

Fisher and Robinson both handle the ball a lot. It seems when both are out there, whoever has the ball is not quite sure what to do sometimes. During the NIT run and last night, roles seemed to be well defined. ARob runs the offense, Vlad and Hamdy sets screens and post up, and the rest spot up on the perimeter.

Dogfrog

IMO when Fisher is at point Arob sees his role as scorer. So he drives to score and often commits turnovers when his driving lane is closed. When Fisher is out and Arob is at point he penetrates to set up the assist. With Vlade, KW, Bane, JD, etc, this works out very well and gets everybody involved.

SuperTFrog

I have no complaints on last nights O or D effort or execution.
I am really glad we won, but our D was not good last night. Giving up over 50% shooting and 50% on threes is not a recipe for success. Thankfully they were worse on defense and we shot 60% from the field. If we play defense like that we are going to lose a lot of games.

Purp

I have no complaints on last nights O or D effort or execution.
There were times that we played pretty good D, but there were also spells of awful D. Giving up 50% from the field to the team expected to finish last in the conference can't be considered a good defensive effort. We have to be better for longer and more consistently on the defensive end.

Tom Brown

There were times that we played pretty good D, but there were also spells of awful D. Giving up 50% from the field to the team expected to finish last in the conference can't be considered a good defensive effort. We have to be better for longer and more consistently on the defensive end.

Every team in the country not named Cincinnati or West Virginia could say that.

We held ISU below scoring average, turned them over 10 times to our 4 and we won by 20+.

Im saving up my complaint tokens for the game when there is something to really complain about.

FrogLifeYo

Early in conference play ARob seemed to not understand his role when he and Fisher were both on the floor. ARob is a dribble drive facilitator. He needs the ball in his hands looking to set up the offense...He is not a wing man. If you ask him to play off ball your giving the opponent what they want

Sebastian S

Robinson reminds me of a player like Tony Parker, he may not get a ton of points every game but is pretty nimble enough to drive the basket if he wants to.

The player I want to see drive the basket more is Bane.

With his physique, you would think he can power himself towards the basket more. He also has an awkward shooting release but it works!

Purp

Every team in the country not named Cincinnati or West Virginia could say that.

We held ISU below scoring average, turned them over 10 times to our 4 and we won by 20+.

Im saving up my complaint tokens for the game when there is something to really complain about.
Only 10 TOs in a game is actually a really good night for an offense. I just can't credit TCU with great defense based on that stat.

And holding them below their scoring average is also misleading. I guarantee it's because they had fewer possessions than usual and I bet that's largely due to the fact that the last 4 minutes were mostly 30 second possessions to wind down clock.

We were dead even on offensive rebounds so we didn't gain any extra possessions there. We had 6 fewer TOs so we did pick up 6 extra possessions there. And free throws only gave us an advantage of 3 more points. The main reason we won by such a large margin is that we shot 10% better than them from the floor. It had very little to do with good defense.

Aside from shooting percentage we were pretty close to even statistically. If we had shot 50% from the floor like them I doubt anyone would be lauding our great defense in this thread.