• The KillerFrogs

Thoughts on last night's hoops

PO Frog

What a fantastic game offensively. Every pass had a purpose, ball movement was excellent, players catching the ball in rhythm and ready to shoot. Just outstanding. And ARob on the pick and roll with those packet passes to Vlad and hitting open guys on the perimeter after breaking down the defense -- just an absolute joy to watch. Even Vlad went to the hoop strong with no hesitation. Maybe ISU didn't have anyone physical enough to deter him, but last night looked more like the Vlad we saw earlier in the year against lesser competition. He is so good when he isn't getting pushed around.

Questions - not to knock J. Fisher because I think he is great, but is there something about him being out of the lineup that sends this team (or ARob?) into another gear? We made the NIT run last year with him out, and last night was the best we looked offensively maybe ever IMO. Was it just better energy with the students back in town? I can't really put my finger on it, but last night was a great mix of patience and aggressiveness that really helped get all the shooters in rhythm. Anyone else care to speculate? Regardless, what a game. Hope we keep it rolling.

There were times last year when I thought having AROB on the court made us better. Our two PG sets always seemed best. I don't know why we've been fighting it, but it may be best for now to have AROB leading.

Sebastian S

There were times when neither Vlad or Hamdi were on court.

For now, I would like to think it's the quality of the opponent.

We will know more very soon this weekend and on Monday.

Dr. Coach Haus

ARob can be a valuable asset but many of you forgetin some games he forces shots off the dribble many a time. Fisher has become a better scurrying threat this year. I for one will miss Fisher as I believe be is becoming a stronger player for us. He has hit shots in games when everone else was cold. I hope he heals quickly and ARob will play smart.

Purp

What a fantastic game offensively. Every pass had a purpose, ball movement was excellent, players catching the ball in rhythm and ready to shoot. Just outstanding. And ARob on the pick and roll with those packet passes to Vlad and hitting open guys on the perimeter after breaking down the defense -- just an absolute joy to watch. Even Vlad went to the hoop strong with no hesitation. Maybe ISU didn't have anyone physical enough to deter him, but last night looked more like the Vlad we saw earlier in the year against lesser competition. He is so good when he isn't getting pushed around.

Questions - not to knock J. Fisher because I think he is great, but is there something about him being out of the lineup that sends this team (or ARob?) into another gear? We made the NIT run last year with him out, and last night was the best we looked offensively maybe ever IMO. Was it just better energy with the students back in town? I can't really put my finger on it, but last night was a great mix of patience and aggressiveness that really helped get all the shooters in rhythm. Anyone else care to speculate? Regardless, what a game. Hope we keep it rolling.
I don't think it's a knock on Fish as much as it may be on ARob. I wonder if he's trying to do too much when Fish is healthy in order to earn playing time. It's the same idea as a hitter in baseball "squeezing the bat too hard" and not getting results.

I've noticed the same thing you noticed and it just seems to me that in the NIT run and last night he seems way more relaxed than any other times. He's not thinking and over-thinking; he's just playing, reacting to what the defense gives, and relying on instinct. Maybe the 7ish games without Fish is too small a sample size to make such an assertion, but it just seems like ARob is a different player when Fish isn't in the lineup and I wonder if that's why.

Last edited:

Sebastian S

Noi had 16 points in 15 minutes! He needs more minutes. I don’t understand how Olden played 5 more minutes that Noi.

I think Dixon see's Olden as the player who will get more playing time with Fisher out.
I hope he gets better but you are right, Noi needs more playing time.

Maybe rotate him in and keep Hamdi and Brodz on the bench(sometimes)?

tcumaniac

We usually have complaints about officiating but I want the refs we had last night for every game.

I was taking mental notes at every drive to the basket by ISU that was contested by us last night. There were a lot of contested shots, blocks, and charges last night that would have been fouls against us every darning time against KU or OU. Last night was so refreshing. Some of the officiating the past few games has been criminal.

4th. down

I think Dixon see's Olden as the player who will get more playing time with Fisher out.
I hope he gets better but you are right, Noi needs more playing time.

Maybe rotate him in and keep Hamdi and Brodz on the bench(sometimes)?

IMHO, while Robinson takes a breather, rather have Williams swing to point rather than Olden.

Purp

Noi had 16 points in 15 minutes! He needs more minutes. I don’t understand how Olden played 5 more minutes that Noi.
I'd guess it was because JD was dropping 3s like hot potatoes and Noi and JD hardly ever see the floor together. JD is also the better defender, though I am not so sure that's as clear a distinction as it used to be.

Purp

What was your criticism of our D?
We had at least 3 stretches where we weren't concerned at all with challenging a shot or offering any help defense whatsoever. The good news is we never stopped scoring baskets, but there were several times we'd trade baskets for 3-4 minutes at a time and we provided precious little resistance. Had Wigginton not been in foul trouble in the first half I think they'd have been a lot closer at half and the game could have looked much different the rest of the way.

Tom Brown

We had at least 3 stretches where we weren't concerned at all with challenging a shot or offering any help defense whatsoever. The good news is we never stopped scoring baskets, but there were several times we'd trade baskets for 3-4 minutes at a time and we provided precious little resistance. Had Wigginton not been in foul trouble in the first half I think they'd have been a lot closer at half and the game could have looked much different the rest of the way.

I have no complaints on last nights O or D effort or execution.