• The KillerFrogs

Thoughts on Baylor Game

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
Just wanted to hear your thoughts on how you think the game goes.

Personally, this game shapes up just like the last one down there to me. I may be in the minority here, but I think this is a close one until the mid 3rd to the start of the 4th. Baylor will key on stopping the run and may have some success early. I am hoping that CP completes some short passes early and gets rid of the 1st game jitters and builds some confidence. I think Way Jame is going to have a great game. Sooner or later our athleticism and speed wear them down and we win by 10-14.

One thing I have always hoped to see more of is throwing to the backs a little more out in the flats or on screens. Obviously with the skill we have back there I want to see the ball in their hands as much as possible. Then again, what the hell do I know.

Can't wait to see how Boyce has progressed and who is going to be the surprise star this year.

Only 13 days fellas until it is here! I don't know about yall but I am more pumped than ever for TCU football to start. Even with us supposed to be in a "rebuilding" year I can't wait for that first kickoff. Damn, it is going to be HOT.

Here is hoping to an injury free game for both teams and for the Frogs to leave no doubt that last year was not a fluke. Let's show RGIII that we aren't just a step up above from Buffalo. That cat is....

TCURiggs

Personally, this game shapes up just like the last one down there to me. I may be in the minority here, but I think this is a close one until the mid 3rd to the start of the 4th. Baylor will key on stopping the run and may have some success early. I am hoping that CP completes some short passes early and gets rid of the 1st game jitters and builds some confidence. I think Way Jame is going to have a great game. Sooner or later our athleticism and speed wear them down and we win by 10-14.

One thing I have always hoped to see more of is throwing to the backs a little more out in the flats or on screens. Obviously with the skill we have back there I want to see the ball in there hands as much as possible. Then again, what the hell do I know.

Can't wait to see how Boyce has progressed and who is going to be the surprise star this year.

Only 13 days fellas until it is here! I don't know about yall but I am more pumped than ever for TCU football to start. Even with us supposed to be in a "rebuilding" year I can't wait for that first kickoff. Damn, it is going to be HOT.

Here is hoping to an injury free game for both teams and for the Frogs to leave no doubt that last year was not a fluke. Let's show RGIII that we aren't just a step up above from Buffalo. That cat is....

I think that's a pretty good take on it. I just don't see their terrible defense being able to slow us down for 4 quarters, even with the inexperience we're putting out there on the o-line and at QB. On the other side of the ball, I really have no worries about our D. I think our d-line is going to be in the backfield more than we were against them last year. If we get to RGIII early, I don't think he'll have much success against our young secondary either. I've been saying we'll win by 2 scores for quite a while, and I'm sticking to that. I think CP will make some plays that will surprise a lot of doubters, and I bet our o-line looks better than we're hearing about as well. Hope I'm right.

kidkarr

I agree. I hate the vanilla schemes, but with new qb, I would like to see us pound them with run game until clock and score are under control

purplepreacher

One thing I have always hoped to see more of is throwing to the backs a little more out in the flats or on screens. Obviously with the skill we have back there I want to see the ball in their hands as much as possible. Then again, what the hell do I know.

yes, this is exactly my scenario. it will be a nailbiter for a while.

McFroggin

I think we smoke em early. Their OL won't be able to handle our DL. RG3 will be on his back often and BU has nothing else to help them score. It'll be another blowout.

namollec

I think that's a pretty good take on it. I just don't see their terrible defense being able to slow us down for 4 quarters, even with the inexperience we're putting out there on the o-line and at QB. On the other side of the ball, I really have no worries about our D. I think our d-line is going to be in the backfield more than we were against them last year. If we get to RGIII early, I don't think he'll have much success against our young secondary either. I've been saying we'll win by 2 scores for quite a while, and I'm sticking to that. I think CP will make some plays that will surprise a lot of doubters, and I bet our o-line looks better than we're hearing about as well. Hope I'm right.

I totally agree with this. From report on:

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081911aab.html

their offense seemed to score at will on their defense. Was this a matter of their offense being so very good or a question of any improvement on their defense from last year? I read it as they still have huge problems to solve on D. Our D will show up and stop the BB offense. Our offense will take care of business. Game over by mid 3rd Q.

Frog DJ

Baylor always makes me nervous because so much is riding on the outcome.

If BU finds a way to win TCU will be dismissed by the national press, and the Bears will use it in future recruiting.

You can bet Art Briles will have his troops at a fever pitch - anxious to prove last year was a fluke.

Certainly, the Frogs are more talented, but a funny bounce here or there could produce a nail-biter.

I believe TCU's defense will win the day, but with a talent like RGIII anything is possible for Baylor.

On the other hand, I'll say it again: Has any Art Briles team ever had a credible defense?

Go Frogs! Do It Now!

HickoryFlameFrog

There is a lack of information about BU.

Special Teams: BU is average, no dominant returners, no dominant kickers.
TCU should bust two or three good returns and start with good field position,
while the TCU punter should be able to keep BU playing out of their own red zone.

Defense favors TCU: Baylor has RGIII, but no stand out receivers, no stand out RBs.
RGII will be amped but this will be more a negative than a positive for him.
TCU DL will pressure RGIII leading to some hurries and mistakes.

Offense favors TCU: Pass or Run taking what Baylor gives.
If the game caller has any confidence in TCU OL look for a long pass or two early to Boyce, Hicks or Dawson.
If BU is looking to stop the run, then play action will loosen up run defense.
The pressure will be on BU defense.

Play calling will really depend on what the OC believes about the OL. Short, quick passes
along with the running game will most likely be what happens, but do not be surprised to see
some early throws to the seams to take advantage of BU's effort to stop the run.

MidlandFrog

I personally think that this will be a pretty one-sided game for a few reasons.
1. Baylor doesn't have a running game. If Patterson is allowed to sit in his base defense and only rush 4 like last year, why would anyone expect anything different. We will have 6 in coverage with Tank or Tanner shadowing RG3.
2. Baylor's defense is truly terrible, save the Bennett will change things talk for someone who actually thinks Bennett is that good. I actually feel sorry for their corners, Boyce and Hicks are going to beat them up on outside runs and in the passing game.
3. We have Kelton, after the Rose Bowl no one should ever question the benefit of great special teams. Even if they slow our offense down, their starting field position will be inside their own 25. Good luck putting together more than 1 or 2 long TD drIves against a Patterson D with no running game.
4. The revenge thing never works, it make you jumpy and I expect a couple of massive mistakes from the Baylor D early. RG 3 is an amazing athlete, but sometimes that makes him put too much on his own shoulders and I think he will be pressing.
5. Losing Josh Gordon was huge!!!! He was a game-changer. He could take the top off a D and allow Wright to run those underneath routes. I just don't see another WR
on their roster that can do that.

All said and done TCU 37-14. I just think that their D is too much of a liability and the lack of running game allows us to sit in our base D.

Rabble Rouser

I've been watching the replays of this game a lot lately and here's my take:

I don't see what has changed when Baylor has the ball. RG3 was smothered by our sideline to sideline blanket pursuit and he struggled with accuracy on short to midrange passes. All in all RG3 looked overwhelmed by the 4-2-5 and I don't think that changes. Add in that they lost the only player to score on us (Josh Gordon) to suspension and their best tailback (Finley) to graduation and I think we handle them.

When we have the ball I don't expect us to have the same success. Andy was on fire that day and couldn't miss. Won't be the case with CP4 esp. on the road in his first start ever. Baylor will not be the same pushovers under Bennet that they were last year under Norwood but it takes time for a defense to gel and they don't have the horses yet. I think the baylor D comes out hot and we wear them down little by little until we blow em open in the 2nd half.

IMO this game will be close but it shouldn't ever really be in doubt. The score will prob be something like 24-17.