• The KillerFrogs

This is on Cumbie

CountryFrog

How about an option play on third and about 11 on the Frogs second to last possession?
I was talking about situations where we threw the ball and I thought we should've run. It sounds like you're talking about a situation where we ran and you think we should've thrown.

But since you brought it up and plenty others have, too, I think it's fairly clear that the thinking on the option was to try and get 5 or 6 yards and then go for it on 4th down while hoping that you maybe bust a run for a big gainer and don't even need a 4th down play. It's not the worst decision in the world since we were hitting a lot more run plays for big gains than pass plays. I understand why people don't like the run right there but I also understand the coaches' thinking too. The real mistake there came when we used a timeout on the sideline as the play clock got down to 1, but the offense still snapped the ball and Kenny handed it off. We tipped our hand that we wanted to run there and then Iowa St got to go talk about it.

4th. down

I was talking about situations where we threw the ball and I thought we should've run. It sounds like you're talking about a situation where we ran and you think we should've thrown.

But since you brought it up and plenty others have, too, I think it's fairly clear that the thinking on the option was to try and get 5 or 6 yards and then go for it on 4th down while hoping that you maybe bust a run for a big gainer and don't even need a 4th down play. It's not the worst decision in the world since we were hitting a lot more run plays for big gains than pass plays. I understand why people don't like the run right there but I also understand the coaches' thinking too. The real mistake there came when we used a timeout on the sideline as the play clock got down to 1, but the offense still snapped the ball and Kenny handed it off. We tipped our hand that we wanted to run there and then Iowa St got to go talk about it.

"We tipped our hand that we wanted to run there and then Iowa St got to go talk about it." Huge.

CountryFrog

"We tipped our hand that we wanted to run there and then Iowa St got to go talk about it." Huge.
Unfortunately, I think it was huge. Cumbie probably thought going with an option to get the ball on the edge was enough of a change from the inside zone play we showed just before the timeout. Didn't work out that way. Good play by the defender to get to Anderson before he had a chance to get up field.

CMcFrog

I think turnovers played a bigger factor. If we had just taken a knee and kicked field goals we’d have been driving for a GW FG on that last drive (when we threw a pick). Playcalling didn’t throw the ball to the DB or not put the ball away during a sack. That said - play calling sucked.

And I’m having a hard time seeing this as an Air Raid offense.
Add to that burning two timeouts to prevent delay of game penalties. And the run out the clock at halftime with a minute left and two timeouts.
Why is GMFP having to run to find refs to call timeouts when the play clock gets low? If he is owning that responsibiltiy then he needs a helper. If it is Cumbie or KH then they need to work on it. If changing out personel or plays is that important then we need to get better at it. If not then we need to simplify it. TOs are too precious in the second half of close games.

CMcFrog

In fact, I think GMFP called a frantic low play clock timeout on a ran that Anderson had busted outside with room to run. Refs blew the play dead and Anderson was pissed.
Im all for saving those timeouts. Five yards in the 3rd quarter isn't worth a timeout in the final minutes.

NewFrogFan

Anyone else think KH runs scared this year???? He does not seem anywhere close to what he did even last year. I think he even almost stops running in anticipation of being hit. For that matter Hicks does alot more left/right vs north/south than he did as a younger player.

TCURiggs

Anyone else think KH runs scared this year???? He does not seem anywhere close to what he did even last year. I think he even almost stops running in anticipation of being hit. For that matter Hicks does alot more left/right vs north/south than he did as a younger player.

No on Kenny. He's lowered his head and tried to truck people many times this season, as it was discussed on the board that he needed to be more careful in a few games (Arkansas and WVU, I believe). I'd like to see him run more than he has, but he certainly hasn't run scared.

Hicks has been phenomenal since coming back healthy the past three weeks, and he was one of the best RBs in the conference last season.

This one loss is making people crazy.

tcumaniac

Kenny sucked. He sucked terribly. Worst individual performance by a Frog I can remember.

But Cumbie has an endless collection of weapons on that offense. To call a game that literally resulted in zero points is absolutely inexcusable. It's so damn maddening I still can't see straight.

finafrog

Kenny sucked. He sucked terribly. Worst individual performance by a Frog I can remember.

But Cumbie has an endless collection of weapons on that offense. To call a game that literally resulted in zero points is absolutely inexcusable. It's so damn maddening I still can't see straight.
how did your brisket turn out? (trying to cheer you up somehow)

W

Way of the Frog

You didn't watch Casey's last game against Baylor did You?