• The KillerFrogs

The Athletic: CFB coaches weigh in on Georgia-TCU national championship: ‘Georgia’s gonna boat race ’em’

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

CFB coaches weigh in on Georgia-TCU national championship: ‘Georgia’s gonna boat race ’em’​

David Ubben

0105_CoachesConfidentialGeorgiaTCU-scaled.jpg

No. 3 TCU already sprung the biggest upset in College Football Playoff history, beating No. 2 Michigan 51-45 as an eight-point underdog.

“I thought they’d win that game,” one coordinator who faced TCU in 2022 said.

Can TCU do it again? The Horned Frogs are 13-point underdogs to Georgia in Monday’s CFP National Championship, the biggest underdog in a national title game since the advent of the BCS in 1998. The doubts about the Frogs’ credentials and their very presence in the game aren’t going anywhere.

Read more at https://theathletic.com/4058375/2023/01/05/georgia-tcu-cfp-championship-analysis/

Moose Stuff

Pretty fair assessment honestly. Georgia is the more talented team and should win, but ……

Can that “but” go our way one last time???

texasrobster1997

I’m really hoping that Georgias defense has regressed or maybe some weaknesses have been exposed based on last two games. Glancing at their season, their defense against teams like Tennessee and Oregon is impressive.

Bizarro Frog

The perceived talent gap and roster depth is the part I keep coming back too. I don’t think most folks including a lot of coaches have a clue what we have. They are working off past perceptions and over generalizations. Sports books make a killing off people like this.

McDawg

I’m all Dawg, but those type reads are pure “wash rinse repeat.” I’ve read that same tripe all season. I suppose a good HC can analyze and tell you how a game may develop ( who runs, who throws, what type defense/offense and why) But at the end of the day I don’t agree that these cats can accurately predict the outcome of a game; it’s still a 50/50 proposition. There’s just too many variables to factor in. Vegas may be right more than not but even they miss. Just play the game and see how the bean bounces.

Eight

The perceived talent gap and roster depth is the part I keep coming back too. I don’t think most folks including a lot of coaches have a clue what we have. They are working off past perceptions and over generalizations. Sports books make a killing off people like this.

agreed, this isn't about who has the best 85, or even the best 22

it is how you match your 11 against their's and for some reason people continue to miss that the frogs have real talent in some key areas and a staff that has continually shown the ability to work situational advantages

the other factor that continually gets missed is all those close games, all those tight 4th quarters have cured the steel of this team so to speak and produced something none of us expected to see while watching that game from boulder

hiphopfroggy

It is pretty wild how folks overlook the most obvious things. TCU fans are well aware and this isn't a knock on UGA at all as they have top tier talent as these positions as well, but TCU has the O'Brien winner at QB, Thorpe winner at CB and presumably the top WR in the draft. So at the very least TCU isn't getting outmatched at those positions. I wouldn't trade our LB core for any in the country and our lines on both sides are solid at worst. I'd argue they are much better than that. Head Coach and OC both won coaching awards so no reason to think TCU is outmatched there either.

Really hope Miller is full strength but I'm doubtful.

Bizarro Frog

In my opinion which could be way off -
QB - TCU
RB - Push (depending K Miller)
WR - lean TCU
TE - Georgia
O-Line - Push
D-Line - Georgia
LB's - Push
CB's - lean TCU
S - Push
K - lean TCU
P - Push (I will admit I am not familiar with their punter)
KR/PR - Push (D Davis is incredible but I am assuming Georgia has some real speed on their units)

Coaching - Push (I was going to lean TCU but it's hard to argue against the defending champs)

Sorry I forgot what appears to the most important thing in College Sports when predicting who will win -
Recruiting Rankings - Georgia
National Perception - Georgia
So-Called TV Analyst - Georgia
Talking Heads - Georgia
Screaming Talking Heads - Georgia
Twitter People who are sure they know everything - Georgia
Most Blue Blood Status - Georgia
Non TCU Traveling Fans in the bar - Georgia
Random People in bars and on the street with little or no knowledge - Georgia

Last edited:

NewFrogFan

agreed, this isn't about who has the best 85, or even the best 22

it is how you match your 11 against their's and for some reason people continue to miss that the frogs have real talent in some key areas and a staff that has continually shown the ability to work situational advantages

the other factor that continually gets missed is all those close games, all those tight 4th quarters have cured the steel of this team so to speak and produced something none of us expected to see while watching that game from boulder
Georgia is one awful FG attempt from not being in this game.

NewFrogFan

In my opinion which could be way off -
QB - TCU
RB - Push (depending K Miller)
WR - lean TCU
TE - Georgia
O-Line - Push
D-Line - Georgia
LB's - Push
CB's - lean TCU
S - Push
K - lean TCU
P - Push (I will admit I am not familiar with their punter)
KR/PR - Push (D Davis is incredible but I am assuming Georgia has some real speed on their units)

Coaching - Push (I was going to lean TCU but it's hard to argue against the defending champs)

Sorry I forgot what appears to the most important thing in College Sports when predicting who will win -
Recruiting Rankings - Georgia
National Perception - Georgia
So-Called TV Analyst - Georgia
Talking Heads - Georgia
Screaming Talking Heads - Georgia
Twitter People who are sure they know everything - Georgia
Most Blue Blood Status - Georgia
Non TCU Traveling Fans in the bar - Georgia
Random People in bars and on the street with little or no knowledge - Georgia
The bottom half of your post was Michigan last week.

Limey Frog

Georgia is one awful FG attempt from not being in this game.
Yes, but it's about matchups. I thought this was a really good write-up and I can't argue with the assessments. We're heavy underdog for a reason, but you never know. At this point there's not really anything left to say.