• The KillerFrogs

The Athletic: CFB coaches weigh in on Georgia-TCU national championship: ‘Georgia’s gonna boat race ’em’

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Do you really think Smart & staff “disregarded” and have not properly prepared for TCU? Have made a judgment error? That’s a thought path not often taken on Kirby Smart. I think he’s been a pretty successful coach in CFP games and in title games over the last 10 years or so. But hey, to each his own and if that’s how you feel.
I believe I started the entire run-on sentence with "I was very, very hopeful..." This obviously does not connote certainty, only hope. I have no way of knowing how Smart is preparing, only guesses and hopes based on time constraints and guesses as their judgements of probabilities. A thin and filmy gossamer of near-nothingness.

But, good on you for taking offense! Doesn't take much to set you Undefeated for Damned Near Three Years and Defending National Champions off, does it. It's almost like you were enervated for some reason...

Oh, and take no further offense if I do not reply to subsequent posts, as I am off to LA for the game. Cheers!

Eight

I re watched the Peach Bowl highlights. I would give more advantages to GA. They have the better lines both O and D I think and even some secondary/LB advantages. They are more athletic than Michigan by a margin so our speed advantages against them will be mitigated somewhat. We rush three all game and then try to blitz or bring pressure sometimes from LBs. If this was a classic Patterson 4-2-5 defense that was really strong I would feel fine with TCU's chances but with this rush 3 drop 8 bend but don't break style I'm not sure. I hope we can keep it close going to the 4th. Down 10 in 4th would give Duggan a small shot.

agree that athletically uga is better personnel wise than michigan and the speed difference just isn't there

this comes down to who can control the los, specifically can the frogs run the ball and control the uga run game

time to put away the thoughts of the classic patterson defense because there hasn't been one in about 8 years and the personnel don't really fit that scheme or gillespie's 3-35, the defensive challenge is can gillespie one more time find away to get enough stops and force some turnovers

offensively, i think it comes down to holding uga long enough to get receivers down the field to attack the match ups as i suspect they will crowd and bump the smaller receivers

need to play a clean game with turnovers and a few big plays in special teams would be nice

McDawg

I believe I started the entire run-on sentence with "I was very, very hopeful..." This obviously does not connote certainty, only hope. I have no way of knowing how Smart is preparing, only guesses and hopes based on time constraints and guesses as their judgements of probabilities. A thin and filmy gossamer of near-nothingness.

But, good on you for taking offense! Doesn't take much to set you Undefeated for Damned Near Three Years and Defending National Champions off, does it. It's almost like you were enervated for some reason...

Oh, and take no further offense if I do not reply to subsequent posts, as I am off to LA for the game. Cheers!
Oh, I’m not offended easily. Just questioning your intake of the UGA staffs abilities, having made three trips to the title game in the last seven years doesn’t come without attention to detail. I hope you have a great flight and enjoy the game atmosphere. First time title games make life time memories.

Eight

Oh, I’m not offended easily. Just questioning your intake of the UGA staffs abilities, having made three trips to the title game in the last seven years doesn’t come without attention to detail. I hope you have a great flight and enjoy the game atmosphere. First time title games make life time memories.

think some are used to the former regime at tcu who basically worked with a skeleton staff compared to the number of analysts and other support personnel breaking down film and coming up with scheme ideas with programs such as bama and uga etc..

heck, one of the reasons the frogs have done what they have done in such a short time is sonny simply bringing this program out of the stone age in some areas and bringing staffing up to baseline of support

McDawg

agree that athletically uga is better personnel wise than michigan and the speed difference just isn't there

this comes down to who can control the los, specifically can the frogs run the ball and control the uga run game

time to put away the thoughts of the classic patterson defense because there hasn't been one in about 8 years and the personnel don't really fit that scheme or gillespie's 3-35, the defensive challenge is can gillespie one more time find away to get enough stops and force some turnovers

offensively, i think it comes down to holding uga long enough to get receivers down the field to attack the match ups as i suspect they will crowd and bump the smaller receivers

need to play a clean game with turnovers and a few big plays in special teams would be nice
Best fan analysis I have seen from TCU! Bravo!
And I think you’re on point; stop the run & RTDB is base SEC philosophy and that’s what TCU has to do.
The caveat w UGA’s offense this season has been that Monken, “takes what the defense gives” mentality has worked well so far. And he has enough athletes to adapt to defenses. This 3-3-5 is pretty unique tho, and I think anyone short of a coach may not completely understand the complexities of it. On the face of the 3-3-5 most people would think, “oh we can run all day” BUT it’s constructed in a way to allow fast athletic LB’s to make plays. UGA’s OL will need to be able to read the fourth hitter pretty fast and be able to play better in space. TCU’s defense will take a lot of folks off guard for sure.

Eight

Best fan analysis I have seen from TCU! Bravo!
And I think you’re on point; stop the run & RTDB is base SEC philosophy and that’s what TCU has to do.
The caveat w UGA’s offense this season has been that Monken, “takes what the defense gives” mentality has worked well so far. And he has enough athletes to adapt to defenses. This 3-3-5 is pretty unique tho, and I think anyone short of a coach may not completely understand the complexities of it. On the face of the 3-3-5 most people would think, “oh we can run all day” BUT it’s constructed in a way to allow fast athletic LB’s to make plays. UGA’s OL will need to be able to read the fourth hitter pretty fast and be able to play better in space. TCU’s defense will take a lot of folks off guard for sure.

thanks, for some reasons the michigan guys didn't like me, but then again i kept calling them blue bevo and don't have a love of advanced analytics, especially for a team that according to the numbers shouldn't be playing in this game, but oh well

maybe very wrong about this, but don't see tcu winning a low scoring game, but can see the frogs scoring some points if the line can protect max and open some holes in the ground game

best luck on monday and would love to see max have the ball one final drive for the win against the dawgs

Moose Stuff

Honestly, no. Any analysis that says Michigan "gave away" the game rather than TCU seizing it is simply the bluebloods closing ranks to defend their own against upstarts like TCU who don't know their place.
I didn’t say EVERY word of it was accurate. I said the assessment of the title game was pretty fair. But since you brought it up, if the roles were reversed you can bet your life this board would be saying we gave away that game.

Cougar/Frog

I didn’t say EVERY word of it was accurate. I said the assessment of the title game was pretty fair. But since you brought it up, if the roles were reversed you can bet your life this board would be saying we gave away that game.
Michigan gave away nothing. It tried a trick play on the first series and others throughout the game. After the first run play, the Michigan run game was mostly shut down. TCU ran all over Michigan.

The TCU success on run offense and run defense was directly contrary to all stats and punditry. Michigan was not good enough to run on TCU or stop the TCU run game, even with Miller out.

Michigan didn't give away anything. If anything, officials kept Michigan in the game by bogus calls (roughing the passer???) and non calls on Michigan for offensive holding and DPI.

The two pick sixes were not "luck" or random, but because of the design and scheme and play of the TCU defense.

Wexahu

Michigan gave away nothing. It tried a trick play on the first series and others throughout the game. After the first run play, the Michigan run game was mostly shut down. TCU ran all over Michigan.

The TCU success on run offense and run defense was directly contrary to all stats and punditry. Michigan was not good enough to run on TCU or stop the TCU run game, even with Miller out.

Michigan didn't give away anything. If anything, officials kept Michigan in the game by bogus calls (roughing the passer???) and non calls on Michigan for offensive holding and DPI.

The two pick sixes were not "luck" or random, but because of the design and scheme and play of the TCU defense.
What Moose said.

NewFrogFan

But then again that‘s not what happened. Woulda, shoulda, coulda, in a land far far away…….

dawg

Klatt made this point on his title game preview podcast yesterday: the team that has the higher redzone TD percentage has only lost twice in the CFP era (semis and title game). We were able to hold Michigan to a few FGs and forced two turnovers on their RZ trips, while cashing in all bit one of ours. That will be key again.

Cougar/Frog

Teams that failed to score TDs on their first 5 trips into the red zone are being dominated by their opponents, not just failing to execute.

That first drive set the tone for the game. Michigan got overconfident after the first run, but the fact that Clark caught the RB from behind and then TCU stopped Michigan from scoring a TD was significant. It was TCU imposing its will on Michigan. 21-6 at halftime was not a fluke.

Michigan adjusted on offense and defense and the third quarter went wild.

Michigan was very lucky to get both INTs.

And the 4th quarter saw TCU focusing on running out the clock and protecting the lead. And the quick strikes were done. Again, imposing will.

Boat raced—
Comes from the Boat Race, an annual rowing competition between Oxford and Cambridge, in which the first side to get ahead can move to the middle of the river (where the current is fastest) and is almost never overtaken thereafter.

The Horned Frog boat raced the
Wolverine.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

Also irrelevant to my point. I didn’t say that Michigan gave away the game.

helcap

UnawareIllegalHornbill-max-1mb.gif

Lets hope this is how Georgia "boat races" us.

McDawg

thanks, for some reasons the michigan guys didn't like me, but then again i kept calling them blue bevo and don't have a love of advanced analytics, especially for a team that according to the numbers shouldn't be playing in this game, but oh well

maybe very wrong about this, but don't see tcu winning a low scoring game, but can see the frogs scoring some points if the line can protect max and open some holes in the ground game

best luck on monday and would love to see max have the ball one final drive for the win against the dawgs

That’s funny, Blue Bevo.
Ok. So apologies first for the following BUT

I actually saw a guy on Twitter today who genuinely got between TCU and Baylor, and he called TCU
Purple Baylor.
Yeah, harsh. But it was funny.