• The KillerFrogs

The Athletic: Big 12 recruiting without Texas, OU could put league’s reputation in peril

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Big 12 recruiting without Texas, OU could put league’s reputation in peril​

Ari Wasserman

ARLINGTON, Texas — Brett Yormark pranced back and forth on the stage set up at AT&T Stadium last week as he addressed the crowd during Big 12 media days. Ditching the podium — and without holding a microphone — Yormark looked more like Apple CEO Tim Cook introducing the new iPhone than a conference commissioner. He even stepped aside to play a new Big 12 commercial, bobbing his head back and forth to the music. When the commercial ended, he played it again.

Yormark’s goal was to prove that the Big 12 was not only going to be just fine without Oklahoma and Texas but that the league’s future has never looked brighter. He did a good job, reciting statistics about the conference’s successes and painting a picture of how he plans to navigate the never-ending world of conference expansion. Yormark is a salesman. A really good one. There’s a reason Jay-Z hired him as Roc Nation’s CEO and president of business operations and strategy.

Read more at https://theathletic.com/4696226/2023/07/19/big-12-recruiting-without-texas-oklahoma/

Obvious Troll

Hacking Blah Blah Blah Blah GIF by Giflytics

Endless Purple

I have seen some that like the athletic and some that don't. It seems like it used to be good. Is it more of a SEC (digital) rag now or still balanced with only a few biased writers?

Dogfrog

Based on recent history, UT staying might put the conference’s reputation in jeopardy. Seriously, this comment doesn’t address the reality that recruit ratings factor in who is recruiting them and who signs them to a certain extent.

JogginFrog

I have seen some that like the athletic and some that don't. It seems like it used to be good. Is it more of a SEC (digital) rag now or still balanced with only a few biased writers?
I picked up a subscription a few months ago. I've been generally pleased. The long-form pieces are very good, and you can note your interests so that you get headlines about teams and sports you follow.

The New York Times bought The Athletic in Jan. 2022. I guess NYT is happy with the purchase; earlier this month it disbanded its sports department, putting 35 reporters and editors on the street. Sports was always in an awkward spot for the NYT, which tried to cover global/national stories while also being NYC's local paper. But for subscribers who don't bundle coverage, it has to be frustrating to see lots of links to sports stories in The Athletic that you can't get to.