• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs OU Saturday Game Thread

Pharm Frog

Seems to me we are slightly above average in pitching also below average in comparison to historical norms. We seem to be hitting fairly well but worse than last year. Run production seems pretty good and Fielding seems fairly good. To me that would indicate that we are above average team but perhaps below in pretty much every category relative to the ridiculously high expectations we had pre-season.

Expectations should have been and remain that this team should battle for a national championship. That is not ridiculous. And, the team is in position to do so. It's also not ridiculous to expect that there might be some degree of improvement with all the experience gained and another off-season to develop. The caliber of play does not appear to be holding up that expectation in many cases. And yet we win games.

The one stat line I refuse to look at this year over previous is the fielding percentage....until scorekeepers pull their collective heads out of their asses and score with at least of ounce if integrity, I'm inclined to dismiss that stat altogether while recognizing that it has a ripple effect throughout the stat lines. What I "see" is a rather pedestrian fielding team that makes crucial misplays at critical times. Mature teams should not do that even if it's able to overcome them. It seems very hard for this team to exert its will and keep doing so. It's like there's low comfort for winning comfortably.

CountryFrog

This seems even more appropriate now, after reading these last several pages, than when I posted it during the game.

If someone who knew nothing about TCU baseball was dropped into a kfc game thread they would definitely come away thinking our team sucks and our coaches are morons. They'd think this has got to be a team that struggles to beat anyone with a pulse.

CountryFrog

On the bright side, we seem to be doing better in first innings the last several games. Remember when we started every game with a 5 run deficit going into the 2nd inning?

Positive thoughts.

Bob

It wasn't just the pitching - a hit or two by Landestoy when it was needed, 2 terrible throws from 3rd baseman, who also needs to find his hitting; ; ; plus an OU team that is in the top 25.

Bizarro Frog

Think about how unlucky that game was. 2 bloop hits led to 5 runs and knocked our RF out of the game. In the 9th we hit a bomb with 2 on and it bounces over the fence so the man on 1st does not get to score. If that stays in the park we have a 3 run lead at minimum. Just a very unlucky day.

GeoFrog

Exactly what you think I mean.
zEM08_s-200x150.gif

PO Frog

I'm still not believing they ruled CW's attempted face-catch as a double. Possibly the worst scoring decision I can think of and not fair to Howard. And probably cost us the game.

Pharm Frog

I'm still not believing they ruled CW's attempted face-catch as a double. Possibly the worst scoring decision I can think of and not fair to Howard. And probably cost us the game.

In the park they ruled it as a single with an error allowing runners to advance. Don't know if they changed it.

westtexfrog

Hopefully this team isn't teetering on the precipice of a late season implosion.

It's time to step up and show some cajones!
Perfect example of what I was referring to yesterday. Dude, you need to be grateful for what you have. This team is facing more that a little adversity (list of issues has been thoroughly discussed here), to suggest they they need to show some cajoles is nothing short of ignorance.

flyfishingfrog

We're average at best, right?
If our starters look like they did against UT, then we are a good team - because we actually hit good starting pitching against UT and so far against OU - and didn't have to depend on our bullpen much.

If our starters struggle as we have in the last 3 series before UT or we did in game 2 against OU - then yes, we are an average team.

You can quote me all the stats and rankings from guys that have literally seen us play a combined 3 series this year total that you want.

Losing the series against the 2, 3, and 4 teams in the conference doesn't make you an elite team just because the math works out in your favor.

But we shall see today if TCU can pull it out but so far this weekend and today we are looking like the team that got beat by WVU and stomped by TT more than the team that played against Texas

CountryFrog

If our starters look like they did against UT, then we are a good team - because we actually hit good starting pitching against UT and so far against OU - and didn't have to depend on our bullpen much.

If our starters struggle as we have in the last 3 series before UT or we did in game 2 against OU - then yes, we are an average team.

You can quote me all the stats and rankings from guys that have literally seen us play a combined 3 series this year total that you want.

Losing the series against the 2, 3, and 4 teams in the conference doesn't make you an elite team just because the math works out in your favor.

But we shall see today if TCU can pull it out but so far this weekend and today we are looking like the team that got beat by WVU and stomped by TT more than the team that played against Texas
I admire your commitment.