• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Ohio St. Prediction Threads

Mean Purple

We have a lot of fans in denial about this. The fact is that GP didn’t want to play OSU twice and OSU was more than happy to oblige (won’t speculate on their reasoning). End result is that we get a crappy neutral site game in a horrible, soulless pro stadium instead of a wild Amon Carter and a trip to the Shoe. And it sucks for fans all around.

But like I said ... the driver was TCU in general and GP specifically.
So you have a link that shows it was GP specifically?

WANG

Two thoughts:

1) one safety may have been sick but there are three or four other secondary members who are on the field. If that one guy being out causes the secondary to be that much more porous then buckeye fans better pray he stays healthy.

2) Rutgers is pretty much the Kansas of the big ten. 3 points is 3 points, very good... but still. Let’s not pretend it was a ranked opponent.

1) Yes, but if you watch the scoring, it came from the LB and S position, not against the corners. There weren't any completed deep balls or long, sustained drives. The scoring was all off of big plays that started short and broke long with bad angles/pursuit/tackling from the S position. So having 1 safety out (especially one the caliber of Fuller) does make a fairly big difference.

2) Completely agree, that is why I put that caveat in there that it's just Rutgers. BUT, if Rutgers had managed to move the ball against OSU, I would have been very concerned about the defense. They didn't move the ball at all, so it's still a positive sign. Rutgers and Oregon State are nowhere near the opponent that TCU will be though, on offense or defense, so you can't glean much from prior match ups, especially this early in the season.

Hoping for a good, competitive game, should be fun!

XIIFrog

We honestly have no clue how good we are or can be. I predict a loss to the Buckeyes simply because our frogs haven't shown me anything yet to make me think otherwise.

Granted, I think GP and SC have been extremely vanilla so far with play calling on both sides of the ball - no crazy blitz schemes, base offense, maybe one "trick" play/reverse against Southern that was probably meant more as a decoy in the film room, etc. We played mostly our young guys in game 1 to grow them up and because we had guys being disciplined, banged up, etc, and then we had a soggy, 2 hour delayed game at SMU, a team we rarely ever look "good" against.

So again, we really have no clue how good we are. I only predict a loss because of the poor execution I've seen in the first two games. Inaccurate throws (one directly into the hands of the defender), the ones that are accurate being dropped, missed tackles, and giving up a couple of big plays to teams that are downright awful.

OSU- 34, Frogs- 20

Buckeye4life

Plus all the big plays came in the second half when the game was decided. .we played 14 freshman in the second half. .that would not of happened against the starters yes fuller being back helps. And I think wade will see more playing time. He's a 5 star redshirt that had a pick and some good pass breakups...you won't see the 2nd half freshman ..unless the game gets out of hand..

PO Frog

If you'll remember, GMFP was the Head Coach then, too. He made some drastic changes after that year that resulted in a great deal of success.
While I will not put GMFP behind anyone in terms of game preparation, the simple fact is that we have a very young team with a depleted D-line. Young teams tend not to play with the type of poise necessary for "big game" success, especially early in the season. GMFP can put his kids in position to have success, drill them in their jobs and responsibilities, and be there to make adjustments in-game. He cannot, however, go out and execute for them. Thus, it's a big test, and one we haven't faced in a while. The LSU game showed that we had a considerable size differential, and that got cured. I don't think the tOSU players will be any bigger than our kids, nor do I think they are all that much more talented. What they do have is a sense of superiority, and that bubble can be popped given proper smacking. OU did it to them last season on their own home turf, when they had better and more experienced personnel. We certainly have the potential to do so this week, but we have to play and execute at a much higher level than we have so far.
Can we execute smoothly? With poise and confidence? Who knows. We certainly haven't yet. A few big plays, but no real consistency. Defense will be good, but can they go out time and again to make stops if the offense struggles? If tOSU bothered to watch game tape of the pitiful SMU o-line blowing big holes through our defensive line early on, get used to seeing a lot of that...

I just have nothing to base any sort of confidence on save GMFP's fabulous game-prep, defensive prowess, and as-yet-undisplayed skills from our offense.

31-24 tOSU. Flashes from the offense, but too many mistakes to win.

I guess I watched a little bit different game than the one you saw where all of these giant holes opened up. 51 yards came from one play in which there was an unblocked linebacker that missed a tackle in the backfield. They averaged 2.5 ypc other than that. After the first two series, they went 3 and out for the next 5 drives.

Elgolfdog

I've been on their message boards the last 3 weeks (just like buckeye4life) and 99% of them have ZERO respect for our little school. Most of them can't tell you where we are located (exactly like the 2010 RoseBowl). And they are pissed when I use facts to back up my claims.
TCU is going to win this game, and it will not be a big surprise to GMFP or our players.

Sticky_Wicket

Purple Baylor Alum
Plus all the big plays came in the second half when the game was decided. .we played 14 freshman in the second half. .that would not of happened against the starters yes fuller being back helps. And I think wade will see more playing time. He's a 5 star redshirt that had a pick and some good pass breakups...you won't see the 2nd half freshman ..unless the game gets out of hand..

gonna womp on those little sisters so darnin good

photo_26662_landscape_650x433.jpg

Mean Purple

Wonder if he asked him about Purdue.
We honestly have no clue how good we are or can be. I predict a loss to the Buckeyes simply because our frogs haven't shown me anything yet to make me think otherwise.

Granted, I think GP and SC have been extremely vanilla so far with play calling on both sides of the ball - no crazy blitz schemes, base offense, maybe one "trick" play/reverse against Southern that was probably meant more as a decoy in the film room, etc. We played mostly our young guys in game 1 to grow them up and because we had guys being disciplined, banged up, etc, and then we had a soggy, 2 hour delayed game at SMU, a team we rarely ever look "good" against.

So again, we really have no clue how good we are. I only predict a loss because of the poor execution I've seen in the first two games. Inaccurate throws (one directly into the hands of the defender), the ones that are accurate being dropped, missed tackles, and giving up a couple of big plays to teams that are downright awful.

OSU- 34, Frogs- 20
Frogs have shown just as much as tOSU.

Mean Purple

I've been on their message boards the last 3 weeks (just like buckeye4life) and 99% of them have ZERO respect for our little school. Most of them can't tell you where we are located (exactly like the 2010 RoseBowl). And they are pissed when I use facts to back up my claims.
TCU is going to win this game, and it will not be a big surprise to GMFP or our players.
Good Pick.

I've got no problem with people going to other message boards. That's part of the fun of all this. People taking jabs at each other. Welcome to the FANdom. Obviously, it can be pretty chicken crap for one side to claim that they are not taking jabs when they are.

What I have a problem with is people who won't pick their team to win. Weak fan sauce.

WANG

Eh, not really, one play came in the first quarter, and a few plays came with the starters still in the game in the second half.

Agreed, moving Wade to the nickle seemed to help as well, but as another poster on this board said earlier, it was Rutgers haha!

Nala

Sorry to be a downer, but I think Ohio State wins easily, if not necessarily by a lot of points.

We all know that weather, rivalry, and looking ahead were factors in our performance last night. But I still saw a DL and LB corps that were missing tackles and failing to get pressure. I saw a QB making some bad throws and at least one bad mistake. I saw wide receivers failing to catch balls that hit them in the hands.

To add to that, Ohio State simply outclasses us in terms of pure talent. We all know that talent isn’t everything, but OSU has it and knows how to get the most out of it. There’s a reason they’re a perennial playoff contender. We need outstanding play and coaching to overcome the talent gap, and I didn’t see it last night.

I think our team has the potential to be great. But I think our weakness on the defensive line without Blacklock, our inexperience at QB and OL, and our bad habit of not starting to play until the second or third quarter will mean that Ohio State wins.

OSU 35
TCU 23
upload_2018-9-11_11-15-22.png

Buckeye4life

Keep smoking that pipe. ;)