• The KillerFrogs

TCU Tennis

Jared7

TCU is also 16th in the new USTA poll which was just announced. The match against the #8 Cowboys will be at 5:00 p.m. (CDT) on Friday in Stillwater. Oklahoma State is 17-3 on the season, 9-1 at home and they've won 9 straight. Their W's include UTRGV, Oral Roberts, Columbia, Kentucky, NC State, Alabama, UMKC, Northwestern, Minnesota, Northwestern (again), Michigan, Memphis, SDSU, UNLV, Montana, Wichita State and SMU. Their only losses were to #1 Wake Forest ( a close 3-4 loss), #2 Ohio State and #9 Texas. Their top players are Julian Cash (16 W's this season) and Arjun Kadhe. They will be very difficult to beat - especially considering that they beat Columbia and Northwestern (and we didn't).

Also, long-time Virginia coach Brian Boland announced his resignation last night effective at the end of the season to take over as USTA National Director of Player Development at the new Lake Nona tennis campus in Orlando. The #3 Cavs have won the last 2 NCAA championships and 3 of the last 4 - they are in the midst of a dynasty akin to past streaks by UCLA, USC and Stanford. Since taking over at Virginia in 2001 at the age of 29, Boland has led them to over 400 matych wins. This year, they're 17-0 and are only ranked below Wake and Ohio State because of a weaker schedule. They're probably the deepest team in the nation and the departure of Boland could propel them to yet another championship. But having Boland be what is essentially the USA's national coach could improve the U.S.'s profile in pro tennis.

cdsfrog

Good USA men's tennis needs it. Ever since Sampras and Agassi has retired it's been such a sad bunch. Other than roddick every American next star has been a huge disappointment. We have double the amount of grandslams of any country yet we havent sniffed one in a decade. Might be a 25 year drought.

Jared7

Good USA men's tennis needs it. Ever since Sampras and Agassi has retired it's been such a sad bunch. Other than roddick every American next star has been a huge disappointment. We have double the amount of grandslams of any country yet we havent sniffed one in a decade. Might be a 25 year drought.

Yeah, there's no question that we're in a historic drought in U.S. men's tennis. The last Davis Cup championship was 2007 and (I think) the last Slam win was Roddick in 2003(?). Guys like John Isner, Jack Sock, Steve Johnson and Sam Querrey are Top 40 and certainly very good players, but I wouldn't call them "elite" or really expect them to have a shot at taking a Slam. And Jared Donaldson and Ryan Harrison (who Roditi coached when he was the West Coast Player Develpment coach) have been moving up and the last two NCAA champs - Ryan Shane and Mackenzie McDonald are up-and-comers. But, honestly, it's really a vast wasteland. Hiring Boland and the new Lake Nona campus are what the USTA is trying to do to change that. We'll see.

Jerry Lopez was named Big12 Athlete of the Week after going 4-0 in doubles/singles against the Illini and the Aggies. With Big12 conference play starting this weekend, are we peaking at the right time?

Jared7

TCU and Oklahoma State are tied 10-10 in the overall historic record, so the winner of this evening's match will take an all-time advantage. The Frogs, though, have won 4 straight, but the Cowboys are 3-2 in Stillwater. The key to beating Okie State may well be in beating Julian Cash and Arjun Kadhe - they were All-Americans last year in doubles (only the 4th time in Cowboy history) and they won 34 matches as a duo. And, they also play #'s 1 and 2 in singles. So, we really need Norrie and Rybakov to come through this evening. And, if Roditi sticks with pairing Norrie and Lopez at #1 doubles, that could be the key to winning that point. The match starts at 5:00 p.m. (CDT and can be livestreamed on the OSU site. This is our Oklahoma weekend as we play OU on Sunday - it'll probably be pivotal to our whole Big12 season.

Also, Texas plays OU today and OSU on Sunday. After taking 6 weeks or so off, Andrew Harris is scheduled to return for OU. And, uh, Wake Forest is playing Virginia this weekend as well.

Last edited:

Jared7

The streaking Frogs just stunned the #8 Oklahoma State Cowboys 4-0 to take a 1-0 Big12 record and extended their streak to 7 straight W's. Coach Roditi gamed the doubles - playing Stalder and Lopez at #1 (who lost) but strengthening the other slots which, for the first time all year, featured Trevor Johnson (w/Norrie) and TCU won both at #2 and #3. Then, Cam Norrie fought back from a 0-3 start to win in singles 6-4, 6-2, Guillermo Nunez followed with a 6-2, 6-2 W and Alex Rybakov finished it off with a 6-1, 6-4 win. Stalder was ahead and looked likely to win and neither Lopez nor Daniel were out of their matches either. The Frogs are on a roll and should move up yet again in the rankings! OU awaits on Sunday, with a healthy Andrew Harris back in action.

Jared7

In yesterday's other Big12 opener, #6 Texas defeated #13 Oklahoma 4-3 in the Red River Shootout in Norman, putting Texas in a tie for the early Big12 lead (1-0) with TCU. OU's Harris did not play. The Horns took the doubles point and won #'s 4-6 while the Sooners took #'s 1-3. The deciding match was UT's George Goldhoff winning in 3 sets over Jochen Bertsch. Without Harris, OU's usual line-up, is Spencer Papa, Alex Ghilea, Florin Bragusi, Bertsch, Adrian Oetzbach and Arnaud Restifo. OU is now 12-7 with wins over ACU, Omaha, Michigan, Illinois, Arkansas, Wichita State, Alabama, Northwestern, Wichita State, Tulsa (twice) and Pepperdine with losses to Wake Forest, Ohio State (twice), Cornell, USC, Cal and Texas. The all-time TCU-OU record is 11-11, 1-4 in Norman. OU had our number from 2009-15, winning 9 straight (including that epic 2015 NCAA semi in Waco), but Roditi and the Frogs turned that around last year with 2 wins (including that thrilling clincher by Guillermo Nunez). There new coach is Nick Crowell after John Roddick moved to UCF and Lake Nona.

I'm concerned about the predicted bad weather, which means it'll probably be played in indoors (our indoor record bites). There was a similar concern in last night's Wake-Virginia match and the Deacs' coach deliberately delayed the match to wait out a thunderstorm, which worked as Wake handed the Cavs their first loss of the year. I'm also concerned that Harris may be back - he's really their star and like Faker Mayfield, I hear his Dad has really been laying into Coach Roditi big-time for various and sundry offenses;). Also, their strengths are our strengths - at the top of the line-up. If Norrie or Rybo should fall... Otherwise, I like our chances - they've lost 3 straight; we've won 7 straight. The match is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. (CDT). Go Frogs - we really need this!

Last edited:

cdsfrog

Please keep up the posts. You make it easier to follow TCU tennis and allow casual fans like myself to have a pretty good understanding on not only the potential of our team, but strengths and weaknesses as well schedule implications. I feel like I know more than some who go to the matches. It also makes me check out the TCU tennis twitter feed which is pretty darn good as well.

Jared7

The Frogs just blanked the #13 OU Sooners 4-0 with wins at the doubles point (Nunez/Rybakov and Norrie/Johnson) and wins by Norrie, Nunez and Stalder in singles! That makes it 8 straight wins (6 of which were over ranked opponents (OU, OSU, A&M, Illinois, Cal and Stanford); it moves our all-time record against OU to 12-11, including the last 3, it means we just blanked both Oklahoma State and OU on the road and it also means that we will likely move up yet again in the polls, possibly as high as the Top 10 (and we weren't even in the Top 50 5 weeks ago). The Frogs are streaking, Trevor Johnson is back and we may well be back into the elite after such a slow start. We're 2-0 and in the lead in the Big12! 13-4 overall. We'll be hosting former Frog Ashley Fisher's ranked USF team and Texas, Baylor and Tech await. Congrats to Coach Roditi and the Comeback Frogs!

Last edited:

Jared7

TCU Tennis Twitter feed says the match vs OU will be on Fox Sports Oklahoma +. But I'm not finding it on directv. Anyone else?
I watched the livestream on SoonerVision - I don't think it was on Fox Oklahoma (or if it was, I don't get it anyway).

And Oklahoma State just beat Texas 4-2, so that puts TCU in undisputed possession of the Big12 early lead! Further, Bobby Knight, the guy who does collegetennistoday and does ranking projections, just tweeted that the Frogs "have come a long way since losing to Utah State" and are now projected to be back in the Top 10 when the new ITA rankings come out on Tuesday!

Last edited:

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
Thanks a lot for these posts. I don't follow tennis generally, and this gets me interested and following the team.

Purp

The Frogs just blanked the #13 OU Sooners 4-0 with wins at the doubles point (Nunez/Rybakov and Norrie/Johnson) and wins by Norrie, Nunez and Stalder in singles! That makes it 8 straight wins (6 of which were over ranked opponents (OU, OSU, A&M, Illinois, Cal and Stanford); it moves our all-time record against OU to 12-11, including the last 3, it means we just blanked both Oklahoma State and OU on the road and it also means that we will likely move up yet again in the polls, possibly as high as the Top 10 (and we weren't even in the Top 50 5 weeks ago). The Frogs are streaking, Trevor Johnson is back and we may well be back into the elite after such a slow start. We're 2-0 and in the lead in the Big12! 13-4 overall. We'll be hosting former Frog Ashley Fisher's ranked USF team and Texas, Baylor and Tech await. Congrats to Coach Roditi and the Comeback Frogs!
Did this get played outdoors or did weather move it indoors? If inside that makes this all the more encouraging/impressive.

jake102

Did this get played outdoors or did weather move it indoors? If inside that makes this all the more encouraging/impressive.

It was played indoors.

We are a significantly better team that OU, would have been a huge upset for them to beat us. But that's a good thing, two months ago not sure I could have said that.

To be honest, we should be ranked #4 right now. Only Wake, Virginia and Ohio State should beat us most days. And even then, not sure we couldn't beat all of them.

Jared7

It was played indoors.

We are a significantly better team that OU, would have been a huge upset for them to beat us. But that's a good thing, two months ago not sure I could have said that.

To be honest, we should be ranked #4 right now. Only Wake, Virginia and Ohio State should beat us most days. And even then, not sure we couldn't beat all of them.
Yeah, without Andrew Harris, OU isn't exactly fearsome. It's kind of like taking LeBron out for 6 weeks and seeing how Cleveland does, or, if you like, taking Andy Murray off the British Davis Cup team because of an elbow injury). OU is now 13-8 on the season; 0-2 in the Big12. I'm confident that we'll be passing them when the ITA rankings come out tomorrow. And we should pass Cal, A&M and Oklahoma State as well because we beat them. And OSU just beat Texas and we blanked the Cowboys, so we should pass the Horns as well. Our problem is, well, the Utah State loss, not making the NTI's and thus not playing as many matches as the other top teams (and the Dartmouth cancellation). I think we'll be about 9th or 10th tomorrow - the rankings reflect our season schedule and record, not how well we're playing. Maybe the USTA poll (out Wednesday) will have us higher. We're playing great right now and I hope we can continue the momentum.

But, uh, it's Davis Cup Week! Normally, the week where most pro tourneys are cancelled so that the pros can play for their countries wouldn't affect college teams, but for TCU, it sure does. Erstwhile pro Cam Norrie is off to Rouen for the Great Britain v. France match and replacement Coach Roditi is headed to Zapopan to try to turn Mexico's fortunes around against Paraguay (without Jerry Lopez this time though). Murray's elbow injury will prevent him from playing (again), but unless there's another injury, Cam still isn't likely to play. Kyle Edmund and Dan Evans (in singles) and Jamie Murray and Dom Inglot (in doubles) are scheduled to play for Team GB. The Brits last beat the "Frogs" in 2015 in the semis en route to their first Davis Cup W in 79 years. Those wily French will outfit the Rouen Palais des Sport with a clay surface just to mess with Cam's team's heads. Cam will get some practice on clay and he might even be an eyewitness again (like in Canada) to a player slamming a ball into an ump's eye socket. It'll be a hard surface for Coach Roditi's team, which is struggling to overcome its losses to Peru and Guatemala - but those Mexican-Paraguayan matches are usually very emotional and hard fought.

TCU, meanwhile is, off until Monday when we host Ashley Fisher's USF Bulls.

Jared7

On Thursday night, the Frogs were at Chili's in Stillwater watching the basketball team win the NIT and some self-proclaimed Oklahoma State "hypemaster" named Sean Bennett tweeted that he was sitting next to the TCU tennis team and that the NIT championship was the last win TCU would have 'this' weekend. After the 4-0 TCU win the next day, Norrie and Nunez tweeted back "see you at Chili's for the celebration" and "next time, at least ask for an autograph."

And, the last time we beat OU in Norman was April 1977.

Last edited: