• The KillerFrogs

TCU @ OU

CountryFrog

I didn't think we'd be able to consistently out-rebound people in the big 12 the way we did in the non-con but so far I've been proven wrong on that. We're a bad shooting team but when we limit the 3 point attempts, attack the basket, and dominate the glass then we can score enough to beat people.

I really love watching this team. I didn't think last year's group played well together but these guys seem to have really come together and genuinely enjoy playing with each other. They've been fun to watch just about every game this season.

Creeperfrog

I didn't think we'd be able to consistently out-rebound people in the big 12 the way we did in the non-con but so far I've been proven wrong on that. We're a bad shooting team but when we limit the 3 point attempts, attack the basket, and dominate the glass then we can score enough to beat people.

I really love watching this team. I didn't think last year's group played well together but these guys seem to have really come together and genuinely enjoy playing with each other. They've been fun to watch just about every game this season.
We are a bad shooting team?

Eight

We are a bad shooting team?

for the year 43% from the floor overall and just over 30% from three so i don't think anyone will confuse this offense with gonzaga or say the tcu team that won the nit. one positive is frogs opponents average worse from the floor and just a bit better from behind the arc.

to country's point the frogs on average out rebound their opponents by 10 a game

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Need to learn how to close out --- stall --- better. Miles missed free throws, but did have the big drive and layup, then Baugh and Peavey hit their frees. That inbound turnover was potentially costly but the Frogs regrouped to put it away.

Another very good game shooting from the field, this time a season-high 53%.

TEAM GOAL SATURDAY: Single-digit turnovers. Go.

This is an already good team that hasn’t even reached its potential. Last couple games as a whole we’ve been way more efficient in offense- up to 101 in pomeroy offensive efficiency from the 120-130 range. If they can keep that up and add it to already strong defense and elite rebounding and I think this is a legit top 25 team on our hands.

y2kFrog

This is an already good team that hasn’t even reached its potential. Last couple games as a whole we’ve been way more efficient in offense- up to 101 in pomeroy offensive efficiency from the 120-130 range. If they can keep that up and add it to already strong defense and elite rebounding and I think this is a legit top 25 team on our hands.

Baugh, Peavy, O’Bannon and Miles were highly rated prospects coming out of high school. Add to that Miller how proved last year at A&M what he can do and you get a lot of talent. These guys seem to fit together well and now the last ingredient will be confidence that we can win the big games.

JogginFrog

Need to learn how to close out --- stall --- better.
Close out, yes. Stall, no. When you've got the lead late, players tend to focus on how big/small the lead is. If I'm the coach, I want to give guys a target number on our side of the scoreboard, a la the Elam Ending. Last night, Frogs were up 66-57 at 4:00. At that point, I don't want them thinking "9-point lead," I want them thinking "get to 74." That simplifies things. If we can put up 8 points--no matter how much clock we milk--we win, because no way will the other guys get to 74. That keeps a team from going into a deep-freeze and lets them find the opportunities that show up when the opponent is forcing the action. Focusing on a target score helps guys to not tighten up when the opponent knocks down a 3, and it turns free throws into opportunities instead of threats. And hopefully guys know better than to jack up a 3 early in the clock.

At 1:20, Frogs were still on 66--but then Miles took it to the rim when he saw an opening with 10 on the clock. That, and shooting FT's with confidence, is how to close out. Frogs didn't quite get to 74, but close.

fff91

A few thoughts. Dixon's teams have never been artistic on offense. It has always frustrated me. Trent Johnson could get his team open looks. Dixon's offense struggle with that. However, from about 15 minute mark to the 4:00 mark mentioned above, the team moved the ball and cut and passed better than I have seen in a while.

Then we went into the Dixon freeze and nearly pissed it away.

I like the idea mentioned above - set a target. I also would be curious to know the metrics on taking the air out of the ball and reducing the number of possessions - especially when you are inefficient on offense - I gues if we were an efficient offence it would make sense to do it - but we arent and so we basically just eating clock with no real threat to score, then when they score the pressue ramps on us. It just seems like the wrong mental strategy - especially at the 4:00 minute mark - see OSU loss.

hiphopfroggy

A few thoughts. Dixon's teams have never been artistic on offense. It has always frustrated me. Trent Johnson could get his team open looks. Dixon's offense struggle with that. However, from about 15 minute mark to the 4:00 mark mentioned above, the team moved the ball and cut and passed better than I have seen in a while.

I like the idea mentioned above - set a target. I also would be curious to know the metrics on taking the air out of the ball and reducing the number of possessions - especially when you are inefficient on offense - I gues if we were an efficient offence it would make sense to do it - but we arent and so we basically just eating clock with no real threat to score, then when they score the pressue ramps on us. It just seems like the wrong mental strategy - especially at the 4:00 minute mark - see OSU loss.
Against OSU this team didn't know how to play with a lead and hold onto a win, a la Coles taking it to the rim with 20+ on the shot clock with less than a minute left in game to get rejected that starts a fast break the other way to lose.

Clearly Dixon has emphasized how to win ballgames down the stretch since then as the late possessions with the lead since then have been much better. The problem last night was Miles having to go to the free throw line with his injured wrist and missing the front end of the 1 and 1 twice in a row.

I love me some Trent Johnson as much as the next guy and didn't think he did anything to lose the job, but Dixon has this team rolling right now and they are just scratching the surface of what they can become.

Time to sit back and enjoy the ride.

In Dixon we trust.

End games are about being comfortable with what you want to do, and that comes with being in them and knowing what each other is going to do. We definitely have room for improvement at the end of games, but we are also 3-1 in games decided by less than 5, and 5-0 in games between 6-10 point margin. Hopefully the team will grow from the experiences in tight games (but mostly avoid them altogether with big wins!)

Eight

The February schedule...ramps up for sure. Let's see if they can do enough to get the bid.

the last 7 games are absolutely brutal and it is critical the frogs get as many wins as possible in the next 4 games if they want a chance at the ncaa tournament

not farfetched they drop the last 7 games and before anyone says anything about being negative etc.. here are the last 7 games

feb 19th @ baylor
feb 21th wvu
feb 23rd @ texas
feb 26th tech
march 1st kansas
march 3rd @ kansas
march 5th @wvu

not sure which is the worse stretch, those first 4 games or the last 3, but that has to be one of the most brutal stretches for any teams this year. especially for a team that struggles to score and is really dependent on effort to win games

the last 7 games are absolutely brutal and it is critical the frogs get as many wins as possible in the next 4 games if they want a chance at the ncaa tournament

not farfetched they drop the last 7 games and before anyone says anything about being negative etc.. here are the last 7 games

feb 19th @ baylor
feb 21th wvu
feb 23rd @ texas
feb 26th tech
march 1st kansas
march 3rd @ kansas
march 5th @wvu

not sure which is the worse stretch, those first 4 games or the last 3, but that has to be one of the most brutal stretches for any teams this year. especially for a team that struggles to score and is really dependent on effort to win games
Tough but on the flip side, an upset during that stretch could be huge if on the bubble.