• The KillerFrogs

TCU-ISU...How do we match up?

Wexahu

Ironically, I almost feel better about this game because of the way Iowa State has been playing. Just like the Arkansas and Oklahoma State games, we should be ready to play. There's no guarantees we play well, but I'd be surprised if we come out flat.

This is going to be a tough game but if we play our game we should win. I’m like Wex knowing that ISU is playing very well will give the Frogs pause and not be surprised at how good the ‘clones are.

Smellslikeroses

TCU, much respect. Should be a good game. Refuting a couple points posters made.

Lazard is our go-to-guy yes but our depth at WR is our strength. Top 2 guys, Butler and Lazard, go 6-6" and 6-5", and we have another that is 6'4". We have had success with WR swing passes to our speedy 6-1" and 5-11" other WR's with those taller guys above blocking.

When TCU is on offense, expect to see 3 down linemen with 8 dropping. Lanning at MLB to spy Hill. ISU will give up a fair share of rush yards and will be expected. But if TCU sticks with the run 67% of the time with very few 3rd and longs, well, that will likely do in ISU for a TCU win.

I always worry about ISU. Much respect back. I don't think ISU gets ENOUGH respect most years.

Why only down 3 most times? Is your D Line not very solid? Just curious from a Cyclone's point of view.

You know what I think ISU will do is run a 3-3-5 along the lines of WVU. I believe they will give us different looks just to give the OL something to think about. This game won’t be easy but it’s still very winnable.

Sebastian S

I am trying to find an equivalent TCU home game for how ISU will treat this game.

I am thinking either Tech 2006 or the Utah gameday of 2009.

Either one, this is a HUGE game for them.

I am hoping for an @Utah 2010 result.

Bob

Iowa St can EAD. Either TCU brings the A game, in which case we will win. Or, it doesn't, in which case there will be an upset. Its going to be that way from here on out - the price you pay for being ranked among the best.

HouClone

I always worry about ISU. Much respect back. I don't think ISU gets ENOUGH respect most years.

Why only down 3 most times? Is your D Line not very solid? Just curious from a Cyclone's point of view.

It is a 3-3-5 like someone said. Our D Line has surprisedly been very solid, thus has allowed us to not having to bring a safety up in the box or blitz with anybody.

jake102

If our DL plays the way they have all season, I think Iowa State is going to struggle to score 14 points on offense (assuming no short fields as result of turnovers, etc)

If our offense is patient and executes, Nunez takes care of business and our kicking game straightens back up, we win. If we turn the ball over, make special team mistakes or have a setback on defense, it could get dicey in a hurry.

HouClone

I guarantee that ISU isn’t going to drop 8 into coverage against us. We would eat them alive on the ground.

Well, it is not like we are going to have 8 guys back pedaling 30 yards right after the snap only to see Hill hand the ball off. We run a 3-3-5 and will zone all game if TCU goes all wide receivers with a single running back. If TCU goes more heavy, the linebackers will bunch up closer from the edge. Our corners have crashed down great to stop the outside runs and the linebackers have done a good job flowing towards the play. Clone fans and coaches know that TCU will have chunks of running yards, especially right up the middle. If TCU consistently has those chunks and turns them into TDs, then ISU will be forced to go to Plan B and probably will be a long day for ISU. Expect Plan A with 3 DL only rushing on pass plays with bend but don't break in display.

FBallFan123

They have a very good RB and a couple tall talented WR that can cause some matchup issues. Joel Lanning is a damn good football player too. We’re faster than they are and have the talent advantage on defense. Once again, if we play well and limit mistakes we’ll win. Should be a fairly close game.

They have a good RB, but TCU should mach up well against him and them in the rushing game.

Iowa State is 86th in rushing yards per attempt, and 110th in rushing yards per game.

Both Texas and OU were able to control their rushing attacks.

Texas held them to 10 rushing yards on 15 attempts, OU held them to 81 rushing yards on 32 attempts.

Neither team allowed their RB David Montgomery to get going (34 against Texas, 55 against OU).

Texas Tech, on the other hand, allowed Montgomery to gash them for 164 yards.

Montgomery is a receiving threat though...he's got 204 receiving yards on the season, and almost led them in receiving yards against OUT (where he had 89 yards).

He hasn't been much of a factor in the passing game the last two games but that strategy could change against TCU.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Texas' 3-3-5 defense made Okie Lite look silly this week. ISU may give them fits when they meet up. However, TCU's O-line is much better than Okie Lite, we have a mobile QB and our backs are more explosive. Lazard and their big WR's will probably burn us a time or two, but I can't see ISU doing much on the ground. Hopefully the Frogs can take the crowd out of the game early and play ball control. As others have said, turnovers will be paramount. If Kenny and company protect the ball and avoid costly mistakes, the Frogs will be hard to beat.

Wexahu

Wasn’t sure where else to put this, but looks like the weather forecast is getting a little uglier. Now it says 41 and possible snow flurries on my phone, which gets into might-affect-the game a bit territory. Rain all day on Friday too so maybe a sloppy field? Not sure who that favors if either team, just pointing it out.

ThisIsOurTime

Iowa State has a good sound football team. Saw them play against OU. OU was the more talented team and lead most of the game but started to screw around which opened the door for ISU to comeback and ultimately win the game. ISU has a couple of solid receivers that are talent mismatch in their favor. Also, Baker Mayfield has a tendency to make some unforced mistakes that hurt the Sooners. But you have to give at least some of that credit to ISU for not giving up the big plays he was aiming for.

This will be a cold weather game so I am not sure how much that will change things. It definitely goes in favor of ISU though. They will be a more solid opponent than we would have predicted prior to this season.

There will probably be a bigger emphasis on running the ball this game and we are going to find out how good KH and our receivers are at catching a ball in the cold. This week will probably also be a bigger game for our DL and LBs who will have to get extra pressure and still cover the shorter passing routes which are probably more significant in cold weather games.

VA Froggie

Ive said this a couple of times on this forum, this is the best offense, defense and special teams we have had in years. Bring on the next game, Gary will have them ready, I was in town for the WVU game. Frankly I thought WVU played a better game but we won the game. To me, that is the sign of a great, very good, football team.

Latest posts