• The KillerFrogs

TCU-ISU...How do we match up?

texasrobster1997

ISU defense sounds basic by the players (“we don’t give a lot of different looks”) but results are legit. Looking at stats, their winning recipe is to throw it with this new QB. I’m really glad we have a couple games on film that Patterson can look at.

I’ll admit I didn’t watch either game with this new quarterback. How does everyone think we match up? This QB has only seen an OU, Kansas, and tech defense that look like Swiss cheese. Thoughts?

Moose Stuff

They have a very good RB and a couple tall talented WR that can cause some matchup issues. Joel Lanning is a damn good football player too. We’re faster than they are and have the talent advantage on defense. Once again, if we play well and limit mistakes we’ll win. Should be a fairly close game.

TX_Krötenechse

They dared Tech to run and dropped seven in coverage most of the night Saturday, and Tech was able to find holes in their coverage here and there. This strategy won’t work against us. That said, they have a pretty decent defense, and Lanning is a hell of an LB - I expect him to be a spy or delayed pass rush.

On offense, they have a good run game and one of the best receivers in the conference, but not a ton of depth. Not sure if this new QB is very mobile or not. I expect them to play a lot like Oklahoma State on offense. Expect GP to double team Lazard most of the night.

Wexahu

From what I’ve seen this QB is slow but he’s pretty poised and smart. Not the physical tools Park has but much more reliable. I still think our D gives him plenty of struggles.

Horny4TCU

Gary got aggressive the last two games, because he has seen something in other teams. We also have the talent on defense to execute his aggressive play calling.

Gary is going to blitz and make this QB really uncomfortable. Basically on defense I don't see any issues apart from containing Lazard.

Defense is what scares me. They have some kids that can make plays. We need everyone to work on ball control this week.

We also need Hill to try and not force some throws into coverage. He will get picked off if he does.

With Morris out (do we expect him to play before November?), our run game has really taken a hit. But I would like to see us keep it on the ground, and pound this one out. They don't have the depth we do.

Punter1

Supposed to be cold and raining next Saturday. Should negate speed a little bit. Which is fine...we are more physical as well.

Both teams are gonna load the box and dare the other team to throw it.

ifrog

Not too worried. We have the better team and better coach. If we play up to our potential we win by 2-3 touchdowns.

HouClone

TCU, much respect. Should be a good game. Refuting a couple points posters made.

Lazard is our go-to-guy yes but our depth at WR is our strength. Top 2 guys, Butler and Lazard, go 6-6" and 6-5", and we have another that is 6'4". We have had success with WR swing passes to our speedy 6-1" and 5-11" other WR's with those taller guys above blocking.

When TCU is on offense, expect to see 3 down linemen with 8 dropping. Lanning at MLB to spy Hill. ISU will give up a fair share of rush yards and will be expected. But if TCU sticks with the run 67% of the time with very few 3rd and longs, well, that will likely do in ISU for a TCU win.

netty2424

Gary got aggressive the last two games, because he has seen something in other teams. We also have the talent on defense to execute his aggressive play calling.

Gary is going to blitz and make this QB really uncomfortable. Basically on defense I don't see any issues apart from containing Lazard.

Defense is what scares me. They have some kids that can make plays. We need everyone to work on ball control this week.

We also need Hill to try and not force some throws into coverage. He will get picked off if he does.

With Morris out (do we expect him to play before November?), our run game has really taken a hit. But I would like to see us keep it on the ground, and pound this one out. They don't have the depth we do.
Patterson said in KU Post game presser we may get Morris back this week, but more than likely he'll need another week. Just have to see where he's at.

netty2424

TCU, much respect. Should be a good game. Refuting a couple points posters made.

Lazard is our go-to-guy yes but our depth at WR is our strength. Top 2 guys, Butler and Lazard, go 6-6" and 6-5", and we have another that is 6'4". We have had success with WR swing passes to our speedy 6-1" and 5-11" other WR's with those taller guys above blocking.

When TCU is on offense, expect to see 3 down linemen with 8 dropping. Lanning at MLB to spy Hill. ISU will give up a fair share of rush yards and will be expected. But if TCU sticks with the run 67% of the time with very few 3rd and longs, well, that will likely do in ISU for a TCU win.
Best case scenario.

Run at will, and time for KH to pick apart the secondary if needed. May not beat y'all over the top, but we'll take 5-8 yard strikes all day long.

Frog-in-law1995

You’re going to play 3 in the box against TCU?

Zero percent chance of this happening more than about 1 drive on Saturday. We’d rush for 700 yards.

PhillyFrog

Don't overlook what our interior guys on defense are doing by pushing up the pocket this year.

Even a half-step more depth in that push does wonders for your DEs and for your twists.

Bob

We need to keep Lazard from making the big plays. He took OU cornerback to school and it cost OU the game. We cannot repeat the same mistakes.

Rabidfrog

if their offensive line can protect the qb it could be a long day for the Frogs. If rainey, it depends on who is able to catch the football. Our speed will be the deciding factor.

Moose Stuff

I’m not sure WR height equates to WR depth. Can they play or can’t they play is all I care about. We have tall WR too, they don’t play.

FrogLifeYo

ISU is very Physical and since they made the QB switch they are playing mistake free. I've watched a them play 3-4 time this year and I am impressed with how well they are executing. It's really noticeable how much better they are coached from years past. Having said that, we are executing at unprecedented levels ourselves and our talent/maturity is overwhelming teams. Crowd will be jacked so I hope we can take them out early grinding them into dust. Gonna be a good game..I expect to see some adversity in this one