• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf 2020-2021

JogginFrog

Wasn’t knappe only hear a year and a team cancer??

AllFrog appears to have deep knowledge of past TCU rosters. Knappe played in 9 events for the Frogs as a freshman in 2008-09, when 16 players made at least one appearance for TCU. He shot 69 four times that season, including the first round of the MWC championship, but also posted an 87 in NCAA regionals.

He is listed as a soph in TCU's 2009-10 stats, but did not appear in any tournaments for TCU that year. Swedes Pontus Gad and Daniel Jennevret came in as freshmen and each made 10+ starts in a much more stable lineup with Hoge, de Beer and Travis Woolf.

Not sure what happened with Knappe between then and 2016, when he exploded with a big year on the European Challenge Tour. He won twice, had six top-3 finishes and rose as high as 109 in the world rankings. He moved up to the European Tour for 2017 but didn't play well. Went back to the Challenge Tour, continued to play poorly and fell out of the top 1,000 in the world rankings in 2019.

Since then he has been working his way back up and has a pair of top-10s on the Challenge Tour this year. He's now ranked 376th in the world, just missing the top 5 on the Olympic reserve list for Germany.

JogginFrog

Reposting from another thread.

A quick scan of TCU alumni in the Official World Golf Rankings, which list more than 8,000 players but fewer than 2,000 have active points on major tours. Current rankings include:

115 - Tom Hoge (PGA Tour; one spot above Tiger Woods)
196 - Paul Barjon (Korn Ferry Tour; will qualify for PGA Tour next season)
339 - Julien Brun (Challenge Tour - 2nd tier Europe)
578 - Stefano Mazzoli (Alps Tour - 3rd tier Europe)
1,093 - David Ravetto (Alps Tour)
1,381 - Giulio Castagnara (Alps Tour--he's one I hadn't been watching)
1,677 - J.J. Henry (PGA Tour; some exemptions for 300 career cuts made)

Hayden Springer, J.J. Killeen, Franklin Corpening, Sarosh Adi, Daniel Jennevret, Ryan Books and Pierre Mazier have all recorded points on a qualifying tour but have no active points.

Possible that I'm missing someone, so let me know of omissions. I'm searching selected names from old TCU rosters.

Reflecting on this old post with @AllFrog 's mention of Ko and Knappe, who weren't on my radar but rank as two of the top 5 best men's pros who have played for TCU.

Here are updated OWGR rankings of TCU alumni:
129 - Tom Hoge (highest ranking - 98)
177 - Julien Brun (176 -- and extra credit for the TCU hat in his OWGR photo)
249 - Paul Barjon (164)
376 - Alexander Knappe (104)
481 - Jeong Weon Ko (477)
563 - Stefano Mazzoli (531)
697 - David Ravetto (692)
1,537 - Giulio Castagnara (1,181)
1,811 - J.J. Henry (58)

JogginFrog

By the way, of the 7 Frogs playing in Italy this past weekend, two made the cut: Ravetto and Celli. Ravetto finished T25. Celli made a push at the end to be low Frog with a final-round 66, but fell a shot short, finishing T34. He was second among the amateurs competing.

JogginFrog

I missed a key TCU golf story this past week. Hayden Springer Monday-qualified for the Korn Ferry Tour event in Springfield, MO, shooting a 62 with a back-nine 28.

He went on to shoot four rounds in the 60s in the tournament, including a bogey-free final-round 64, to finish T6 and earn a nice check ($17,880). Congrats to Hayden. He's going places.

Edit: And that finish also earns him OWGR points. Just like that, he's 1,095th in the world and 8th among active pros who played for TCU.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Two current and at least two former Frogs are in the field at the Texas State Open at the Cascades Club in Tyler. Cut falls today--will likely be around -1. Brandon Massey and Andrew Presley are both -2 through the first round. Chris Berzina is even par and J.J. Killeen is +1.

In addition to the actual cut, there is always the did-I-beat-Tony-Romo cut -- right now there's not much difference; Romo is +1.

Then there's the Johnny Manziel cut. Possible that everyone who finishes 36 holes will make that one--Johnny Football is currently dead last at +11.

Scoring: https://ntpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/ntpga21/event/ntpga2122/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

JogginFrog

Killeen was paired with Manziel, which at least makes for a decent souvenir:

Can check out Killeen's feed for a look at Manziel's swing.

Johnny shot +14 to miss the cut by a mile; Killeen (Even) will probably miss the cut by 2; Massey by 4. Berzina and Presley still finishing their second round after play suspended yesterday. Both have a chance to make the cut; neither threatening the top of the leaderboard.

JogginFrog

Since she is no longer on the roster I guess this is ok to share. She is going to a&m. I actually saw her this morning. She is leaving tomorrow. Going to play for Stacy Lewis husband who just left Houston. Doesn’t hurt that her boyfriend is on Aggie gold team.

Interesting--Frogs and Aggies end up with a player swap. With the other players that Chadwell has added, will be interesting to see if Jennie earns playing time there. Change of scenery may be good for her as well as for Niblett.

JogginFrog

TCU alum Kris Tschetter is one of 6 players at par or better through three rounds of the U.S Women's Senior Open. Good for her!

Much further back, but also making the cut, is Kristi Albers, who has no TCU ties but gets a shout-out for coaching my high school golf team in El Paso.