• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf 2020-2021

They'll have their hands full at Oakmont. For a lot of them, they'll see green speeds and undulations they've never seen before. I've played there many times when the greens were 15+ on the Stimpmeter. I'll be there for the tournament. Hope to watch our Frogs!

flyfishingfrog

They'll have their hands full at Oakmont. For a lot of them, they'll see green speeds and undulations they've never seen before. I've played there many times when the greens were 15+ on the Stimpmeter. I'll be there for the tournament. Hope to watch our Frogs!
Never forget the first time the caddy told me to turn my back to the cup and putt away from it….

then it happened 3 more times that day….

only course in America that has to slow their greens down for the US Open

Last edited:
Never forget the first time the caddy told me to turn my back to the cup and putt away from it….

then he happened 3 more times that day….

only course in America that has to slow their greens down for the US Open
I played there with Mark Brooks in '93. He shot 78. After the round, I thought, man, this guy's career is about done.

He won a major three years later.

Another time, I played there with one of the best amateurs from Texas. He had recently finished in the top 10 of the Texas Amateur and had qualified for the US Amateur. In two rounds, his lowest score was 86.

That's what that course can do to someone, even in a casual round.

JogginFrog

Emmy Martin has made a handful of starts on the Symetra Tour this summer.

She hasn't made much money yet on the LPGA's second-tier circuit, but when she earned a small check for finishing 64th at the Garden City Charity Classic in early May, she moved up several categories on the tour's eligibility chart, which has earned her several more starts.

Emmy's scores have improved recently, and this week she shot her first sub-70 round, a 3-under 68 at the tour's event in Rochester. Her birdie on the last hole left her a shot off the cut line; she'll play again at the Symetra event next week in Albany.

JogginFrog

Big weekend ahead for two Frog alumni with Solheim Cup hopes. The women pros begin a series of four joint-sanctioned LPGA-LET tournaments, bookended by majors, including this week's Evian Championship.

Sanna Nuutinen will get a chance to test herself against the top players in the world--at least the ones not put off by European or Japanese travel protocols. She currently sits second in the LET standings, which is notable because the top 2 (or top 3, depending on your source) automatically qualify for the Solheim Cup team. Sanna is in position to qualify but the standings are tight--she's fewer than 5 points up on England's Alice Hewson and 14 up on Denmark's Nanna Koerstz Madsen, who plays an LPGA schedule and only has played in 3 qualifying events compared to Sanna's 25.

Points are doubled in Solheim Cup years, and doubled again for majors, so a top-10 finish this week essentially gets you 4x points.

That's also important for Angela Stanford, who last month finally lost the title of "last American woman to win a major." She returns to the scene of her 2018 win in 9th place in the U.S. Solheim Cup standings (top 7 auto-qualify). She needs to make up almost 60 points to make the top 7, so she will probably need good performances this week and at the Women's (British) Open to qualify. She has three top-10s at Evian since 2013.

Both players could also be selected as captain's picks, so showing good form under major-tournament conditions will be noticed. Play starts early tomorrow; you can catch action on Golf Channel starting at 6a Central. Angela plays in the morning wave with the other two most recent winners of the event (JY Ko and Nordquist); Sanna is in the afternoon wave.

Follow scoring here: https://www.lpga.com/tournaments/the-evian-championship/leaderboard

JogginFrog

When was the last time 5 Frogs teed it up in the same professional event? Not sure I've ever seen that.

It's happening this weekend at the European Challenge Tour's Italian Challenge. Current TCU player Filippo Celli was among four Italian amateurs invited to participate. He joins former Frogs Julien Brun, David Ravetto, Stefano Mazzoli and Giulio Castagnara in the field.

Also, to get to know Celli a little better, check out this YouTube interview he did a couple of years ago. It helps if you know Italian. About all I can tell you is that he favors a draw and likes mozzarella.

Last edited:

froggolf65

When was the last time 5 Frogs teed it up in the same professional event? Not sure I've ever seen that.

It's happening this weekend at the European Challenge Tour's Italian Challenge. Current TCU player Filippo Celli was among four Italian amateurs invited to participate. He joins former Frogs Julien Brun, David Ravetto, Stefano Mazzoli and Giulio Castagnara in the field.

Also, to get to know Celli a little better, check out this YouTube interview he did a couple of years ago. It helps if you know Italian. About all I can tell you is that he favors a draw and likes mozzarella.
I'm sure 5 frogs have played in mini tour events before.

JogginFrog

In France, Nuutinen and Stanford both miss the cut. Angela was on the cutline most of the day but tripled the 15th, which is where she made eagle down the stretch in 2018.

Several of the other Americans who are positioning themselves as potential captain's picks are playing well, with Noh, Stephenson and Harigae all in the top 12 through 36 holes. All three have at least two top-15 finishes in the past month. I suspect Angela will focus on her Solheim assistant coach role now.

Nuutinen will continue to have chances in the weeks ahead, although with four straight events in Europe, I think it's likely that some of the Euros who normally play in the States may pick up enough points to overtake the LET regulars in the LET standings.

AllFrog

I spotted 2 more TCU players in the field: Ko and Knappe, for a total of 7 Frogs in that field

JogginFrog

Frog women announce the addition of A&M transfer Makenzie Niblett. The Aggies fired their coach at the end of last season after finishing 11th in the SEC tournament. They subsequently hired Stacy Lewis' husband from Houston, who brought along AAC freshman of the year Slaughter and also poached UT All-American Hailee Cooper.

That left no path forward for rising soph Niblett, who had already fallen out of the starting lineup after two mediocre performances last fall. But she has talent--was ranked 55th nationally coming out of high school a year ago, and was runner-up in the 2020 Texas Women's Am. So a change of scenery may be good.

The late addition could signal that someone from the Frogs' current roster intends to transfer, but no announcements have been made and no one is missing from the roster, which has been updated to include the two incoming freshmen.

flyfishingfrog

Frog women announce the addition of A&M transfer Makenzie Niblett. The Aggies fired their coach at the end of last season after finishing 11th in the SEC tournament. They subsequently hired Stacy Lewis' husband from Houston, who brought along AAC freshman of the year Slaughter and also poached UT All-American Hailee Cooper.

That left no path forward for rising soph Niblett, who had already fallen out of the starting lineup after two mediocre performances last fall. But she has talent--was ranked 55th nationally coming out of high school a year ago, and was runner-up in the 2020 Texas Women's Am. So a change of scenery may be good.

The late addition could signal that someone from the Frogs' current roster intends to transfer, but no announcements have been made and no one is missing from the roster, which has been updated to include the two incoming freshmen.

First Tee Frog - you are up!

JogginFrog

I spotted 2 more TCU players in the field: Ko and Knappe, for a total of 7 Frogs in that field

Who is Ko?

Jeong Weon Ko is a French national of Korean heritage who played for the Frogs in the fall of 2016 as a freshman. He was in the lineup for 3 of 4 events, and was the low finisher in one of them...then disappeared.

A review of WAGR suggests he went back to France and studied there, as he mostly played amateur events in Europe in 2017 and 2018, when he won five times in 12 starts and was 31st in the world am rankings. In 2019 he started playing pro events as an amateur, and he turned pro in early 2020, playing a couple of Alps Tour events before Covid shut things down.

He resurfaced this year on the Challenge Tour and started well, with 3 top-15 finishes in his first four starts, but has stalled since then and is currently ranked 41st on that tour. He's still young and may well make a go of it professionally.