• The KillerFrogs

Spring Game Thread

Toad Jones

Between this and the offensive struggles in the red zone, sounds like both the Briles boys were in attendance.
Yep.. Son said to Dad, we're not jellin. Come up and see if you can help. That is a smart thing for young Briles to do. If my dad was living and had the experience in that endeavor, I'd call him in a second.

Wexahu

I just don't know. I just don't know what to think about our head coach. Part of me wants him to succeed and part of me says, but I don't read anything positive, just some small bleeps here and there. It does not build a positive picture, mainly b/c we haven't seen any yet! I like the recruiting angle of kids in the local area, but so far the picture is incomplete, blurry, and waiting for some positive foundation. Something to build on! It's like the cake mix wasn't mixed correctly. This NIL thing with these kids today, what.. IS.. the right formula to succeed? Really!! So many of these youngsters today are confused and demanding. Narcissistic attitude is a priority and with many of them, ...If... if they don't receive enough, they want to run off, thinking they'll find it somewhere else. How do you build on that??..!!! I completely understand why Saban wanted out. The way I see it, likely, it's likely going to get worse and stay that way for a .. LONG ..time. Society has cancer. Cancer doesn't happen overnight and usually takes a long time to cure.
I don't think we're gonna any good next year, but name me another Big 12 team that looks to have a really bright future? You'll probably say Colorado but let's just let that one play out. The conference is going to be full of very average teams just trying to piece together something respectable. And then every roster will be blown to pieces next offseason and they'll all try it again.

The days of us being any sort of national power or contender are over, might as well get used to it. And the coach has little to do with that. Trying to build a sustainable program in this era of college football is really , really hard, and its impossible if you aren't one of the monied schools, which we are not.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yep.. Son said to Dad, we're not jellin. Come up and see if you can help. That is a smart thing for young Briles to do. If my dad was living and had the experience in that endeavor, I'd call him in a second.
I don't see why Sonny hasn't put his old buddy on the payroll yet.

Chongo94

I don't think we're gonna any good next year, but name me another Big 12 team that looks to have a really bright future? You'll probably say Colorado but let's just let that one play out. The conference is going to be full of very average teams just trying to piece together something respectable. And then every roster will be blown to pieces next offseason and they'll all try it again.

The days of us being any sort of national power or contender are over, might as well get used to it. And the coach has little to do with that. Trying to build a sustainable program in this era of college football is really , really hard, and its impossible if you aren't one of the monied schools, which we are not.
I would’ve said Arizona prior to their coach leaving. They still have some great players so we’ll see but that may have been a kick in the teeth to them.

Wexahu

I would’ve said Arizona prior to their coach leaving. They still have some great players so we’ll see but that may have been a kick in the teeth to them.
Every program in the league that looks like it has a chance to really be building something for the future will quickly be knocked down a few pegs as the more moneyed programs raid their teams, whether it be coaches or players. When I see a team like Arizona, yeah, I suppose they had a good year last year but there was probably A LOT of fool's gold in there and I don't see anything in Tucson being sustainable at all with the new college football.

I read a lot about how so much has changed in the game, but I still don't think reality has hit home with a lot of people yet. I still see people who think landing a nice HS recruit is a really big deal. When you allow kids to freely transfer it changes EVERYTHING.

Palliative Care

Wexahu has an excellent point and it is worth repeating. Don't bet on you HS recruits staying for more than a year.

Also I do not see the reason to try and get a red shirt year, if that freshman can play now, then do it.

Use or lose them. Pay them to keep them, but even then it is not a sure thing.

Last edited:

ShreveFrog

I think newcomers Utah will challenge Arizona for the conference title this year. Also factor in Kansas State. But in a 12-team cfp, I believe TCU can make still make that when we have a peak roster like '22, '14-'15, '09-'10.

Last edited:

Chongo94

Wexahu has an excellent point and it is worth repeating. Don't bet on you HS recruits staying for more than a year.

Also I do not see the reason to try and get a red shirt year, if that freshman can play now, then do it.

Use or lose them. Pay them to keep them, but even then it is not a sure thing.
Don’t worry, knowing Wex, he will likely disagree with you.

Wexahu

I think newcomers Utah will challenge Arizona for the conference title this year. Also factor in Kansas State. But in a 12-team cfp, I believe TCU can make still make that when we have a peak roster like '22, '14-'15, '09-'10.
How are we ever going to have a "peak roster" again like those teams? Those teams were full of players that other teams would have loved to have but could not get. Now they can.

Hate to say it, but those days of recruiting, building and developing an experienced, dangerous team (which is what those three teams were) are long gone.

ShreveFrog

@Wexahu - I'm not that negative. I do have concerns about TCU's NIL game. But I still believe we can build a roster and win the Big XII and make it to the playoffs. Hauss Hejny has the Frog Factor. If he develops like we think, he could help recruit and keep more talent. TCU is a great place.

Toad Jones

How are we ever going to have a "peak roster" again like those teams? Those teams were full of players that other teams would have loved to have but could not get. Now they can.

Hate to say it, but in those days of recruiting, building and developing an experienced, dangerous team (which is what those three teams were)

Ask Dabo Sweeney and see the answer he'll give you.

Dr. Coach Haus

How many NC games did the previous 10 coaches take us to?
Valid! I do not deny that.
I think he came in and was a breath of fresh air for that team and they were primed to achieve. Moving forward, we will be average. Just my prediction.

The only thing to counteract your point, Gene Chizik at Auburn was gone 2 years after winning his natty. Winning it.

I hope I'm wrong, but .........

y2kFrog

I think it’s really weird that people are judging a 1 hr light practice were our starting QB and many other player weren’t even participating. I think the only thing that was decided this spring is we can stop the charade of saying someone else will be QB1.