• The KillerFrogs

Softball?

TCUdirtbag

From what I hear Wes is right. No softball in the immediate future.. TCU has three major athletic projects to think of. Completing ACS, finishing the Olympic Center and they have to address and will, DMC soon. They want to improve Lupton so they have a full plate.

This. Lots to do!

BIG DADDY

Lacrosse is a Eastern sport and a sport that no one cares about in this state. I ranks below equestrian. The only folks at TCU who play it or care about it are a bunch of frat guys that are just trying to create some sort of "glory days" for them in college.

Rugby would have a better chance at becoming a sport before LAX. There are several big 12 schools that have rugby teams.

BuzzFrog

This was discussed about 2 months ago. I had someone from Austin (a high school 5A head softball coach) tell me this weekend that they had heard TCU was discussing adding a women's softball team. Any new insigh on this? There is a lot of tremendous softball talent in Texas. Hoping maybe something may be in the works.

TCUdirtbag

There is no place for a softball facility. If we take in that area to the immediate north of track, we lose parking that has been valuable in years past. No easy solution and I think they would rather have on campus facilities than public facilties
Worth Hills as we know it will be demolished in the next 5-8 years as the Greek and new residence halls are built/rebuilt further North toward the stadium. The space is there if they want it--either the grass field mentioned or in the space opened by worth hills' demo, they just aren't addressing space because as so many have mentioned adding a sport, especially one like softball that requires new facilities, isn't a short-term plan.

Best place, should TCU ever add a softball team, would really be where the intramural fields are. Put new fields a bit closer in where the current Worth Hills & parking is once the new buildings are up.

TCUdirtbag

Regarding LAX: not gonna happen. Maybe if we had joined the Big East, but nobody in the Big 12 plays it. High schools don't play it enough to recruit. Waste of time/money. Nobody would go or care. If a women's sport is added it will be rowing or softball.

NewFrogFan

Not Nebraska remember they are in the Big 10 now. Missouri is the 4th member with wrestling. I'm not a wrestling fan but I know quite a few ISU fans that would be happy if more conference members added wrestling.

Perhaps they would consider a womens version with some Wesson Oil and a little plastic swimming pool. They could bring Ol Blue back to coach!!! (Old School). :biggrin:

All Conference would be those ladies that exhibited the MOST sportswomanship with the other teams!!!!

Morado Muerte

At an alumni event, CDC told me that we would have added LAX in the BE for women, but no chance now. Stated we need to do something with existing facilities (read: gymnastics / crew / wrestling). The intramural fields are untouchable, along with the grass field. Softball is very unlikely, according to CDC.

joejordan

At an alumni event, CDC told me that we would have added LAX in the BE for women, but no chance now. Stated we need to do something with existing facilities (read: gymnastics / crew / wrestling). The intramural fields are untouchable, along with the grass field. Softball is very unlikely, according to CDC.
Which means it is likely to happen within 5 years. I'd venture to say 3 ...I'd hope it was 2, because I have a daughter who is a beast with the bat, tall and beautiful, and has a sister currently at TCU.

You guys married to ogres complaining about women softball players crack me up. No, not really.

Deep Purple

Just asked by a BU alum why we don't have a softball team? Could not give him a good answer? Anyone?
Ask him why Baylor doesn't have a swimming/diving team?

That's an area of Big 12 competition where TCU will be participating, but Baylor never has. Maybe because they would have the expense of building a natatorium?

NativeFrog

From what I hear Wes is right. No softball in the immediate future.. TCU has three major athletic projects to think of. Completing ACS, finishing the Olympic Center and they have to address and will, DMC soon. They want to improve Lupton so they have a full plate.

If they did, where would they put a softball facility?

A full plate? Is part of home plate missing at Lupton Stadium. Always looked like a full plate to me.

Anyway, softball is a strength of several BIG 12 teams, including Texas, Baylor and Oklahoma. Would be extremely difficult for TCU to be competitive in softball, considering how far behind we are compared to those schools. Same thing in men's and women's basketball. Frogs are going to have to try to make their mark in the Big 12 in football and baseball.