• The KillerFrogs

So, let's do a little make believe with Deion.

Spike

Ah. Call me a racist. That's a great argument. Better work in anti-Semite before I have more coffee...

Time will reveal all, and what has transpired already doesn't make him look terribly good. All that swagger and bluster are the polar opposite of character, and this seems to be what he is instilling above all else. The other thing to remember is that fellows who were gifted athletes tend to make lousy coaches, in that their abilities allowed them to perform at a level that it took lesser mortals lots of gym time to get to. It's the grinders that tend to make the good coaches, because they stress the fundamentals and self-sacrifice needed to achieve.
I have no beef with Deion, and he did well at his last destination. That said, I concur with your sentiments regarding more coffee.

Wexahu

Tell me you’ve never met Deion without telling me you’ve never met Deion. Question if he can be successful at the D1 level. Question if he has wondering eyes to the next “big” gig. Question if he wants to college or get to the nfl as a coach. All valid questions that honestly none of us know the answers to. But at this point I don’t think anyone can question his honest passion and desire to help the kids on his roster that are committed To the program.

he’s had his flashy history and the swag side of his personality can certainly rub folks the wrong way. But those that know his programs and the man himself disagree w your assessment of his character. (And your use of quotes around the word “colorful” carries a ton of weight in this I suspect…. Which is extremely unfortunate.)
This is what I don't get. Why shouldn't anyone question his passion and desire to help kids on his roster? What makes him different than any other coach in that regard? All those speeches he gives to his players that somehow get leaked, do you honestly think other coaches don't make the same impassioned talks to their team from time to time?

As for questioning him, as far as I know, the guy has never coached when at least one of his sons weren't on his team. So that'd be the first thing I question, what happens when they move on? Is he in this mainly to coach his sons and make sure they get PT and have a positive college experience or is he going to grind through coaching when they move on?

Wexahu

I didn’t call you a racist my guy. I don’t know you. But you brought “color” into the thread for whatever purpose. I just raised that point in my reply.

i agree with you that highly talented players often make terrible coaches. (My best example is the MLB Network’s video of Mike Trout and Alex Rodriguez talking about pregame batting cage sessions. Two of the best to ever step in the box and neither one of them could explain the what and why of what they were doing in a series of hitting progressions.) so he certainly gets no automatic passes as to his ability to coach the game for me. I based that upon seeing him up close for a few years and from conversations with others that have been on his direct coaching staffs over the years. Dude can flat out motivate players and help them see something greater than they think they are worth as individuals. A ton of coaches in the industry would kill to have that gift that Deion has.

Swagger isnt the opposite of character either btw. Just because somebody has a bit of juice to them when they walk and talk has nothing to do with if you have character or not. Can you be trustworthy? Are you genuinely concerned for those around you and making their situations better. Do you provide to community to which you belong. Those define character for me.
Didn't Prime Academy run into some problems because of lack of compliance, or just being found out that they weren't what they were claiming to be, or something along those lines? Didn't he have multiple affairs with other women while he was married?

How does that fit into the "character" thing?

If Sonny Dykes or Nick Saban had presided over a fraud school/program in their early coaching years and had cheated on their wives multiple times, would people not be questioning their character?

4 Oaks Frog

Think Deion really wants to coach in the pros, esp Dallas. People indicated to me, he really has calmed down immensely and slacked off the show boat routine. It'll come out somewhere, and here comes the dance. Holy Cow, some of the fans will celebrate and do a little dance too. Guess we as fans would enjoy that to some degree.

This where the cowboy hat comes into play and it's recognized history. Like 100% of us, we would tune into the game if TCU wasn't playing just to see Deion.
You are wrong in your assumption that 100% would tune in. I didn’t care for him when he played, and that goes now, as well. The only dance I want to see from him is his loser’s dance as he exits The Carter.

Froginbedford

I know nothing about Deion Sanders, and I care even less.

All I want is for TCU to win the game, and look good doing it.

Go Frogs!
With so much uncertain and unproven regarding TCU this season, it's appropriate to dust off "win by one" and make certain it's repeated in the next 11 games....

Brog

We had a chemistry and motivation issue not a player talent issue. The Colorado football team was loaded with kids nobody else wanted who largely were not very great at football relative to D1 level competition. Slight difference in situation. I don’t know why so much Deion hate around here.
I suspect because he is just so hateable.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Driving up to Fort Worth yesterday, I sat through several hours of Big12 Radio. Some of it was actually informative.

One guest was a writer for the Denver Post (if memory serves) who does not understand the hype, and notes that the o/u on wins for CU is 3.5 this season. The writer was not confident that 3 could be reached. He also noted that in his opinion, the patience factor is on Sanders. Apparently he has several clauses in his contract that would allow him to just up and leave if he so chose. The writer noted that if Sanders was sitting at 0-8, and this Head Coach gig just wasn't any fun anymore, he could just walk away.

hometown frog

Driving up to Fort Worth yesterday, I sat through several hours of Big12 Radio. Some of it was actually informative.

One guest was a writer for the Denver Post (if memory serves) who does not understand the hype, and notes that the o/u on wins for CU is 3.5 this season. The writer was not confident that 3 could be reached. He also noted that in his opinion, the patience factor is on Sanders. Apparently he has several clauses in his contract that would allow him to just up and leave if he so chose. The writer noted that if Sanders was sitting at 0-8, and this Head Coach gig just wasn't any fun anymore, he could just walk away.
The contract part would not surprise me at all. Prime had all the leverage on CU when they were negotiating. So whatever clauses Deion wanted, I suspect he got added. However with his kids there I don’t see him bailing out anytime soon. (Regardless of what the record looks like)

I suggest a poll:

Who is least liked on KF— Deion, Kendal or Gary? Or maybe on a more positive note— which would you most like to have on Sonny‘s coaching/recruiting staff?
1. Deion as a recruiter and motivator. Shedeur for his accuarate arm and QB play. They are a darn good pair as we witnessed today.
2. Gary because I miss his three-and-out pressure defense and don’t like Gillespie’s flat-footed soft porous D.
3. Kendal—We need to see more but those penalties and his decisions to pass on 3rd and 1 near the goal line and not to run more today have me wondering. I suspect he will be fine—he has a good track record and Sonny was adamant that he was the best fit.

Last edited:

PE Frog

While I realize he was not going to be hired last year, reading all these articles on how he has redone Colorado's roster. If he had been hired, with the frogs coming off a pooer season, how many of the players that took the team to NC game would he have run off? Duggan for sure, and there goes the heart of last year's team. While I don't think he would have done here what he did there, I think it still would have been close to 50% turnover. And there would have gone the 2023 season. Props to the TCU admin for not falling for the new shiny star.

Just thinking out load, or well with the keyboard.

I think he is a great recruiter and will build CU up to a really good team in another year or so, but I seriously doubt that CU is where Deion wants to build his coaching career, if he even is coaching in 5 years. I don't think it is his pine box job................... per Fran.
True but you'll be ready to fire Dykes in 2 years. He had a lot of lucky breaks year 1. That's over. Enjoy being the middle of Hillbilly 12.

NewFrogFan

Think Deion really wants to coach in the pros, esp Dallas. People indicated to me, he really has calmed down immensely and slacked off the show boat routine. It'll come out somewhere, and here comes the dance. Holy Cow, some of the fans will celebrate and do a little dance too. Guess we as fans would enjoy that to some degree.

This where the cowboy hat comes into play and it's recognized history. Like 100% of us, we would tune into the game if TCU wasn't playing just to see Deion.
I think he is in the NFL fairly quick too.