• The KillerFrogs

Pac-12 looking to expand its presence in... China?

AEAfrog

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:54 PM (#99)

The University of the Americas Puebla is a university in Mexico that plays American Football. http://www.udlap.mx/.../headcoach.aspx
The Big 12 should add the Aztecas. They'd have the the whole country of Mexico as a market. 113 million houeholds. Only 1200 miles from Fort Worth which would be closer than Morgantown. They're in the Central Time Zone.

TCU had a partnership with that university at one point in time. Not sure if they still do.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
When BYU beat TCU at AGC, I think it was 2007, I remember thinking, "Man, we gotta get some of those Samoan guys!"

Maybe a few sumo wrestlers on the o-line would work.

FrogAbroad

Big 12 will be looking to Mexiico in 3......2.,....

This year (2011) Monterey Tech played one, perhaps two American football games in the USA. The ESPN-Mexico channel carries occasional games between Mexican teams. And within the last dozen months or so there was a playoff among Central American teams.

Futbol americano will never, ever, threaten traditional soccer in Latin America, nor even beisbol, but there IS a market for the occasional well-promoted game between big-name collegiate teams in the larger cities of Mexico and South America.

When BYU beat TCU at AGC, I think it was 2007, I remember thinking, "Man, we gotta get some of those Samoan guys!"

Maybe a few sumo wrestlers on the o-line would work.

Is Fabuluje Samoan? There are a ton that play for Euless Trinity, so Fabuluje and Carter (I know he's not) could be the beginning of a nice pipeline there.

Houston Frog

The trouble, as I see it, is having something to sell. The Pac 12 clearly has in mind trying to get their new network online in Asia, in addition to selling merchandise and recruiting students. What would the Big 12 sell - The Longhorn Network?

I do see a lot of Mexicans wearing UT shirts

Houston Frog

Is Fabuluje Samoan? There are a ton that play for Euless Trinity, so Fabuluje and Carter (I know he's not) could be the beginning of a nice pipeline there.

I'll let you be the judge....

17552957.jpg

FrogAbroad

yeah, because that was in the time before there was window shades...... :biggrin:

Makes me recall the time my Aunt Birdie (her real name was "Bertie" but all us kids sorta slurred it to Birdie) and my Uncle Fred flew for the very first time. Their son Ed was a college graduate and had a good job and wanted to give them a special anniversary present, so he arranged a round trip for the three of them all the way to Nashville, Tennessee, to attend the Grand Ole Opry. Now, this was back in the day when people got themselves sorta dressed up to fly. Men wore a suit or a sports jacket and a shirt and tie. Women wore a nice dress and heels. Not citified Sunday-dressed but "nice."

Anyway, they get out to Love Field and board that big Braniff airliner, and as they're finding their seat assignments Ed asks his mother, "Mama, would you like to have the seat by the window so you can see out?" And Aunt Birdie fires back, "Land sakes no, Ed! I just got my hair done!"

AEAfrog

Futbol americano will never, ever, threaten traditional soccer in Latin America, nor even beisbol, but there IS a market for the occasional well-promoted game between big-name collegiate teams in the larger cities of Mexico and South America.

Exactly. The 1994 match-up of the Cowboys and Oilers in Mexico City is still the highest attended game in NFL history.

frogbyproxy

This year (2011) Monterey Tech played one, perhaps two American football games in the USA. The ESPN-Mexico channel carries occasional games between Mexican teams. And within the last dozen months or so there was a playoff among Central American teams.

When the NCAA gets involved in other countries it's time to start looking for future players. :tongue:

The first NCAA membership division to accommodate Canadian members now has been asked to look the other way − as in Mexico.

The examination is in an extremely preliminary stage, but the Division II Membership Committee will consider a letter from a Mexican government official inquiring about possible NCAA membership for at least one school in that country.

Bernardo de la Garza Herrera, director general of the National Sports Commission of Mexico, expressed interest in Division II membership since the “perspective, goals and dimensions of this program suits our abilities and (interests).”

Simon Fraser University from Canada currently is in its final year of Division II provisional membership and is expected to become the NCAA’s first active international member. International membership became possible through a pilot program that was approved at the 2008 Convention.

“We know about the proceedings recently initiated by Canadian universities,” wrote de la Garza Herrera, “and Mexico would like to follow up in this pilot program.”

All NCAA institutions in Puerto Rico also are affiliated with Division II.

Division II Presidents Council chair Drew Bogner of Molloy College said it’s too early to tell how the Mexican request will turn out.

“It’s an interesting idea,” he said. “We’ve really had no in-depth conversation about it, either at a committee level or at the Presidents Council level. There may be particulars of which I’m not aware that might make it more or less advantageous, but it’s really early to tell.

“But in keeping with the way we responded to Canadian institutions, I think we’re open to it.”

TCUSA

He might be able to interest the Chinese in some football, volleyball, soccer and swimming but I doubt that football will raise any eyebrows over there.

Then they have the task and expense of taking low revenue producing sports to China

C'mon--a bunch of slight Chinese watching hulking Americans smashing each other to bits??? I'd think they'd love it. And it'd show 'em that we'd kick their asses if they ever get out of line, too :laugh: :laugh:

geefrogs

Mr. Spalding tried to bring baseball to the world over 100 years ago with all-stars traveling from Australia, to Egypt, to Europe, etc.

didnt catch.

college football in China and Latin America?

hell no.

Latin America is baseball/soccer crazy. NCAA football wont fly.

China? How many Asian-Americans outside of Dat Ngyuen played college football.

That being said, I think its a great opportunity for the schools and players. If it catches on overseas, thats the cherry on top but I am sure Mr. Scott understands thats a long shot.

geefrogs

Im sure its been mentioned, but its more of an opportunity to promote the educational/athletic excellence of these schools and building partnerships with Chinese universities.

I dont believe Mr. Scott is trying to emulate Mr. Spalding and make fans out of the Chinese.

Deep Purple

C'mon--a bunch of slight Chinese watching hulking Americans smashing each other to bits??? I'd think they'd love it. And it'd show 'em that we'd kick their asses if they ever get out of line, too :laugh: :laugh:
Not if they brought their kick-butt martial arts onto the field.

comBATON-550x366.jpg

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Mr. Spalding tried to bring baseball to the world over 100 years ago with all-stars traveling from Australia, to Egypt, to Europe, etc.

didnt catch.

The Australians might disagree - there's several in the major leagues. And there are several pro/semi-pro leagues in Europe as well.