• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

The Bad Guy

If you can find it, I ordered mine off Amazon, I strongly recommend the classic "To Live and Die in LA." William Friedkin directed it and it was William Petersen's first starring role. Willem DeFoe is the bad guy printing off counterfeit money and John Turturro also stars in it. Great car chase and the ending is intense.

I know The French Connection and The Exorcist are Friedkin's biggest hits, but this is his best movie IMO. The soundtrack is great, too. Wang Chung at its finest!
Great chase scene in that movie as well!

Chongo94

Supposedly, Costner has put his own money into this and there will be an additional three (I think) movies to this. Looks like his homage to the American west.

Horizon: An American Saga.

Chongo94

I’m sure this will be visually cool and an effects masterpiece but I can’t take Anya Taylor-Joy serious as a badass dystopian action hero. Plus the whole Mary Sue GI Jane trope is getting a bit tiresome to me.

Furious: A Mad Max Saga

Chongo94

New Fallout trailer. Looks les campy and much better than the first trailer. Still have a Mary Sue GI Jane type theme here it looks like. Walton Goggans may be awesome in this.

SwissArmyFrog

Has anyone watched The Tourist? About a guy who is run off the road by a tractor trailer and loses his memory and tries to find out who he is.
This reminds me of "Random Harvest," a 1942 Ronald Coleman movie set in post-WWI days.

If you don't know Ronald Coleman, you're missing out. He's greatness, esp in "A Tale of Two Cities".

Ron Swanson

I haven’t watched Masters of the Air yet, but I intend to.

But you know how certain shows are filmed differently and just look different on the screen? For instance, you can tell a soap opera is a soap opera just by looking at it for 3 seconds even if you know nothing about the show.

Based strictly on the still shots and trailer I’ve seen, Masters of the Air gives off a less realistic look by the way it was filmed/produced/directed or whatever. Looks all glossy and fake. Pearl Harbor (I think?) was kinda that way too.

War movies shouldn’t be like that, and it’s a big red flag to me that makes me assume it’s gonna be real Hollywood.

jack the frog

But you know how certain shows are filmed differently and just look different on the screen? For instance, you can tell a soap opera is a soap opera just by looking at it for 3 seconds even if you know nothing about the show.

Based strictly on the still shots and trailer I’ve seen, Masters of the Air gives off a less realistic look by the way it was filmed/produced/directed or whatever. Looks all glossy and fake. Pearl Harbor (I think?) was kinda that way too.

War movies shouldn’t be like that, and it’s a big red flag to me that makes me assume it’s gonna be real Hollywood.

I felt the same about Masters initially. The dialogue was a little too slick and the manufactured special effects required some getting used to, but it became gritty and well done further in. I really like it so far.

Also, something on the Soap-Opera effect. I noticed that years ago and looked it up. An incongruence of fps refresh rates between cheap made videotape programs like Soaps and fast refresh modern TV’s as I understand it.

stbrab

I just finished it this morning…I give it a B. There’s plenty of realism in it. Worth the watch but not in the stratosphere of Band of Brothers or the Pacific.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Another music documentary to watch:

"In Restless Dreams: The Music of Paul Simon" showing on MGM+

Note: To fully appreciate, you must be of a certain age.

Chongo94

Reports are that the role of James Bond has been offered to Aaron Taylor-Johnson, he of Bullet Train, Kick Ass, the Avengers Ultron, and the upcoming Kraven movie.

FrogCop19

Reports are that the role of James Bond has been offered to Aaron Taylor-Johnson, he of Bullet Train, Kick Ass, the Avengers Ultron, and the upcoming Kraven movie.
Is he even British?

**Quick google search reveals he is, in fact from England. I don't think I've ever heard him speak with an accent...interesting.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Not a bad choice. 33 yoa. I was kind of expecting Henry Cavill but Johnson is seven years younger. It may be tough to match up with someone who can carry the weight of the role and also commit to several films.

The real question is do we go back through starting with On Her Majesty’s Secret Service or start with all new plots?