• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The first troops they sent to Kokoda were untested and with little support. They learned how to fight very quick.

Commanders didn't let them take medium machine guns or medium mortars because they thought they were too heavy to carry up the Kokoda Track.

One of the fellows I follow on Substack. I believe you will appreciate his writings! Dr. Robert Lyman

tcudoc

Dumb Money on Netflix is based on the GameStop short sell thing a couple of years ago. I thought it was pretty good because it explained what exactly happened. I was too busy to follow it at the time, so I only knew a portion of the story.
It reminded me a bunch of The Big Short from a few years ago.

Putt4Purple

So, they've moved to parody their own Franchise, after so much of it has already descended there all by itself. It is a sign of healing...
Not a fan of Deadpool. I love all the other Marvel Comics movies. Maybe it’s the main character and the actor who portrays him? So damn ugly is the character and the actor himself seems so weak and wishy washy. I said it so there you go!

BrewingFrog

Not a fan of Deadpool. I love all the other Marvel Comics movies. Maybe it’s the main character and the actor who portrays him? So damn ugly is the character and the actor himself seems so weak and wishy washy. I said it so there you go!
I thought it was mildly amusing, but wouldn't watch again. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

Early on I rather enjoyed the Marvel films, but at some point it just... lost me. I am hardly the target audience of the MCU, so it's not a surprise, but at the end of the day you can only mine so much gold out of a particular vein.

Chongo94

So, they've moved to parody their own Franchise, after so much of it has already descended there all by itself. It is a sign of healing...
No, not really, Deadpool always already parodies himself and everyone else. It’s how the character was written. The comics were quite good usually.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Wife discovered the US version of Ghosts this weekend and we've been binge watching it. The funny thing is years ago I tried to get her to watch the original BBC version of the show and she was so bored we didn't make it out of the first episode (she's not a fan of British humor).

BrewingFrog

If I’m not mistaken, Shogun begins tomorrow.

Also, we rewatched Dune P1 last night and I’m fired up for P2. I had forgotten that the film only made it to Paul’s first encounter with the Freman in the desert
I have purposefully held off on watching P1, while waiting for P2 to get out of Hollywood Hell. Very much looking forward to it!

JugbandFrog

I thought it was mildly amusing, but wouldn't watch again. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

Early on I rather enjoyed the Marvel films, but at some point it just... lost me. I am hardly the target audience of the MCU, so it's not a surprise, but at the end of the day you can only mine so much gold out of a particular vein.
A lot of it has to do with these OTHER characters. I don't care about anyone but the original Avengers/x-Men. The beauty of the comics was that you could reintegrate those main characters into countless story lines where with films, the actors get pricier and age.

I would be fine with them recasting the main characters and continuing with the story as if they don't age. It was never about the actor playing Iron Man or Captain America, it was about the character and how they dealt with the antagonists in the story.

Ron Swanson

Yes. I thought it was very solid. I enjoyed it well enough to buy the Kindle autographical book it is based on but have not read it yet.
I had no idea it was based on a true story.

Not surprising I guess. It’s almost too random of a story/setting (late 90’s) to be totally made up.

Last edited:

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Watched the first episode of Shogun….not bad at all. Too young to remember and compare it to the original so no idea on that aspect of it all.
We watched both E1 & 2 last night. Overall very, very good. The original is worth a look if you have interest after watching this one. Toshiro Mifune as Lord Toranaga alone is worth the time investment

Last edited: