• The KillerFrogs

OT: Astros advance to World Series

Pharm Frog

I confess that I typically turn the channel or read a book (or post on here) whenever the actual game concludes and I follow precisely none of these people on Twitter or anywhere else. After reading that horse [ Finebaum ] I'm glad I generally do this.

But I did watch a bit of the post game stuff last night...about 15 minutes. It was okay.

Deep Purple

Speaking of morality judges, I got disgusted at the swath of Dodger fans who continued to boo Gurriel every time he can to the plate throughout the series.

Yes, in game 3 he made an incredibly stupid, racist gesture to Darvish. Gurriel was born and raised in Cuba, not America. He's been in the States less than 2 years. But having played ball in Japan, he should have known (and has acknowledged he did know) that the gesture was offensive. He later regretted it and offered a public apology.

On his first trip to the plate last night, he tipped his batting helmet to Darvish on the mound and made a slight bow of respect. Didn't make any difference. The Dodger fans continued to boo him anyway. What does the guy have to do to adequately show his remorse? Kneel on home plate and slit his wrists?

Ron Swanson

Speaking of morality judges, I got disgusted at the swath of Dodger fans who continued to boo Gurriel every time he can to the plate throughout the series.

Yes, in game 3 he made an incredibly stupid, racist gesture to Darvish. Gurriel was born and raised in Cuba, not America. He's been in the States less than 2 years. But having played ball in Japan, he should have known (and has acknowledged he did know) that the gesture was offensive. He later regretted it and offered a public apology.

On his first trip to the plate last night, he tipped his batting helmet to Darvish on the mound and made a slight bow of respect. Didn't make any difference. The Dodger fans continued to boo him anyway. What does the guy have to do to adequately show his remorse? Kneel on home plate and slit his wrists?

You knew that was coming and no real issue with it here. He shouldn’t have done it and he paid for it. It’ll blow over by next year.

Heck, they booed the hell out of Reddick just cause they didn’t like the way he left last year or something (never really understood that one). Fans hold grudges.

God Dog

I didn’t have a problem with the booing. Nothing wrong with good ole fashioned sports hate.

I hated on Turner for the Dodgers solely because he looks like a cast member from Fraggle Rock.

Ron Swanson

I didn’t have a problem with the booing. Nothing wrong with good ole fashioned sports hate.

I hated on Turner for the Dodgers solely because he looks like a cast member from Fraggle Rock.

I watched an interview with him and he’s actually really cool guy.

Frog DJ

My buddy called him "That guy from north of The Wall on Game of Thrones."

Go Frogs!

Pharm Frog

I will withhold judgment on this until I hear from Moose on the topic. Moose has very strong opinions about booing. What I do know is that YG is constitutionally and culturally incapable of being racist. As mentioned earlier I learned this from tOSU, Georgetown, and most recently from my own company’s D&I training.

I do however wonder if the penitent act you describe is sufficiently close enough to the Japanese ritual of hari kari to be considered an endorsement of cultural appropriation or at worst mockery of the samurai culture.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Before this season, Astros fans have been booing Carlos Beltran ever since he bolted town for the Mets and made comments about what a dump Houston was, in 2004! That ceased this year.

That's a long sports grudge...

Ron Swanson

Before this season, Astros fans have been booing Carlos Beltran ever since he bolted town for the Mets and made comments about what a dump Houston was, in 2004! That ceased this year.

That's a long sports grudge...
What were the comments he made about Houston in 2004? All the comments “eye” remember were that he told his agent that he wanted to sign with Houston, but our front office wouldn’t give him the no-trade clause he wanted, so he signed with the Mets.

(Eye can’t type the letter ‘Eye’ without my phone turning it into this... I️ )

Tom Brown

Heinous how Correa committed suicide after winning the World Series.

Remember how Ian Johnson did that after the Fiesta Bowl?
Then he disappeared forever.

FBallFan123

I have no problem with the continued boo'ing.

There's a case to be made he got off easy with the suspension from MLB for just 5 games next season.

And how Darvish chose to deal with Gurriel doesn't shield Gurriel from criticism from anybody else, whether they're Dodgers or not.

Frog DJ

I just heard a report on the radio from the Houston Police Department advising fans who are downtown for the Victory Parade, "Enjoy yourselves, but expect at least a 5-6 hour commute out the downtown area."

One unofficial estimate placed over 100,000 people along the parade route, so parking and outbound traffic will be an absolute madhouse for hours to come. I'll be happy to watch from the recliner in my living room.

Go Frogs!

W

Way of the Frog

I just heard a report on the radio from the Houston Police Department advising fans who are downtown for the Victory Parade, "Enjoy yourselves, but expect at least a 5-6 hour commute out the downtown area."

One unofficial estimate placed over 100,000 people along the parade route, so parking and outbound traffic will be an absolute madhouse for hours to come. I'll be happy to watch from the recliner in my living room.

Go Frogs!

5-6 hours? What freaking station were you listening to as we were there and it was 1 1/2 hours for us to get out of downtown.

This had to be the traffic guy.

th

Must have been the same person who counted the crowd because there were well more than 100K along the route.

Last edited by a moderator: