• The KillerFrogs

OKST LB tests positive

PhillyFrog

I'm just happy to see any football player having a positive test experience.

Helps answer the question of is our children learning.

Eight

asked the question yesterday and will again here.

the bundesligia has been playing for 2-3 weeks now, believe 3-4 matches per team, and i have not heard about any surge in cases in germany or among the teams

has anyone heard anything specific to their return to play?

Mean Purple

meanwhile ...

uh, yeah, ... those "studies" used some seriously questionable data.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...tion-hydroxychloroquine?CMP=oth_b-aplnews_d-1
Surgisphere, whose employees appear to include a sci-fi writer and adult content model, provided database behind Lancet and New England Journal of Medicine hydroxychloroquine studies

Two of the world’s leading medical journals – the Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine – published studies based on Surgisphere data. The studies were co-authored by the firm’s chief executive, Sapan Desai.

Late on Tuesday, after being approached by the Guardian, the Lancet released an “expression of concern” about its published study. The New England Journal of Medicine has also issued a similar notice.

An independent audit of the provenance and validity of the data has now been commissioned by the authors not affiliated with Surgisphere because of “concerns that have been raised about the reliability of the database”.

Mean Purple

Look, everybody with common sense balances the need to reopen the economy with the responsibility to still manage your social distancing when out in the population.

Perhaps shoulder to shoulder marching in a mass is a bit of a risk. Of all the instructions they have given, how have none of the organizers or cities thought to inform that maybe they should measure themselves all at double arms length to each other?

Either/Or approaches only work for some things, not all.

Eight

meanwhile ...

uh, yeah, ... those "studies" used some seriously questionable data.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...tion-hydroxychloroquine?CMP=oth_b-aplnews_d-1
Surgisphere, whose employees appear to include a sci-fi writer and adult content model, provided database behind Lancet and New England Journal of Medicine hydroxychloroquine studies

Two of the world’s leading medical journals – the Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine – published studies based on Surgisphere data. The studies were co-authored by the firm’s chief executive, Sapan Desai.

Late on Tuesday, after being approached by the Guardian, the Lancet released an “expression of concern” about its published study. The New England Journal of Medicine has also issued a similar notice.

An independent audit of the provenance and validity of the data has now been commissioned by the authors not affiliated with Surgisphere because of “concerns that have been raised about the reliability of the database”.

not like the lancet has had this problem in the past where they published a study that used questionable source data that may or may not have impacted the world in regards to a highly contagious, airborne virus that is incurable and fatal

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2831678/

besides, writing science fiction is somewhat similar to ferguson's university of london study.......

helcap

asked the question yesterday and will again here.

the bundesligia has been playing for 2-3 weeks now, believe 3-4 matches per team, and i have not heard about any surge in cases in germany or among the teams

has anyone heard anything specific to their return to play?
Since games are being played without fans in attendance not sure one would expect a surge in cases in Germany. As far as the players there have been some positive tests, but no general spreading yet

Eight

Since games are being played without fans in attendance not sure one would expect a surge in cases in Germany. As far as the players there have been some positive tests, but no general spreading yet

true, there are no fans in the stands, but fans are gathering at locations to watch the games and i believe the players aren't being kept in quarantine during the completion of the restarted season.

i could be wrong, but it seems that there is a chance for the spread among spectators who are gathering to watch the matches and among the players, officials, support personnel, and their families

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
true, there are no fans in the stands, but fans are gathering at locations to watch the games and i believe the players aren't being kept in quarantine during the completion of the restarted season.

i could be wrong, but it seems that there is a chance for the spread among spectators who are gathering to watch the matches and among the players, officials, support personnel, and their families
Yeah, because crammed into a dank, sweaty beer hall and screaming your lungs out for your team is way safer than sitting in the stands in fresh air and sunshine and screaming your lungs out for your team.

The illogic of the "lockdowns" continues to amaze...

Eight

holy [ Finebaum ]....strongly recommend people read the thread mean purple linked about surgisphere

among the things that will leave you shaking your head are some details such as:

"Until Monday, the get in touch” link on Surgisphere’s homepage redirected to a WordPress template for a cryptocurrency website, raising questions about how hospitals could easily contact the company to join its database."

curious pharm and flyfishing's thoughts and for those who have called some of us who have question the integrity of data anti science, flat earthers and trump humpers

DwAKq8G.gif

BABYFACE

Good grief. There are thousands of athletes and football players therefore there have been thousands of exposures. Pretty much everyone has been exposed at this point. Let us know if he actually gets ill or has severe symptoms.
Kind of agree with this too. But, also don’t mind testing if that is what takes for a FB season to happen. I stop short of selling my soul for a FB season, but will sell Asleep003’s one in a heart beep.

Pharm Frog

holy [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ]....strongly recommend people read the thread mean purple linked about surgisphere

among the things that will leave you shaking your head are some details such as:

"Until Monday, the get in touch” link on Surgisphere’s homepage redirected to a WordPress template for a cryptocurrency website, raising questions about how hospitals could easily contact the company to join its database."

curious pharm and flyfishing's thoughts and for those who have called some of us who have question the integrity of data anti science, flat earthers and trump humpers

DwAKq8G.gif

You really don't want my full thoughts on this. I have mixed feelings in general about "real world evidence" claims database mining but those feelings aren't very mixed when it comes to hastily-constructed and rushed to published meta-analyses. Worst of all, this particular data aggregator was almost immediately questioned by researchers and analysts who do this stuff routinely. It's a shame that publications like The Lancet and NEJM get caught up in this stuff but that's kind of become more common with the 'rush to publish" mentality.

Eight

You really don't want my full thoughts on this. I have mixed feelings in general about "real world evidence" claims database mining but those feelings aren't very mixed when it comes to hastily-constructed and rushed to published meta-analyses. Worst of all, this particular data aggregator was almost immediately questioned by researchers and analysts who do this stuff routinely. It's a shame that publications like The Lancet and NEJM get caught up in this stuff but that's kind of become more common with the 'rush to publish" mentality.

thanks

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Not to mention a hastily-reached "conclusion" that squares with a particular narrative...

Mean Purple

holy [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ]....strongly recommend people read the thread mean purple linked about surgisphere

DwAKq8G.gif

I think when it is all said and done, it will be shown that this works like other drugs. It, obviously along with the drug they combo it with, works well for a good many, and may not be appropriate for some. And they likely have another option.

Just seems like some orgs/agencies went overboard with a precaution on a drug that has been known about for many years.
I don't know how much of that is politics and how much of that is just money.

I do know that it has obviously worked for folks and docs have had success. So why would folks want to take that option off the table when it can be used safely?

But now COVID is not an issue. At least, CNN has not need for it anymore.

Eight

I think when it is all said and done, it will be shown that this works like other drugs. It, obviously along with the drug they combo it with, works well for a good many, and may not be appropriate for some. And they likely have another option.

Just seems like some orgs/agencies went overboard with a precaution on a drug that has been known about for many years.
I don't know how much of that is politics and how much of that is just money.

I do know that it has obviously worked for folks and docs have had success. So why would folks want to take that option off the table when it can be used safely?

But now COVID is not an issue. At least, CNN has not need for it anymore.

who knows, but there has been so much bad science involved with the decision making it really has been stunning.

consider:

1. the ferguson (sp?) model from london college that wasn't even peered reviewed, knowingly used faulty assumptions and was used as a basis for so many early decisions
  2. the gates model that was flawed in its design and no attempts were made to address the poor assumptions and inaccurate data
  3. this model
the prof from uw hit the nail on the head with his interview when he called out a number of studies and individuals who use "big data" to prove a point when in reality they work backwards in the creation of their processes

https://callingbullshit.org

some will defend the actions by saying the worst we were was being overly cautious but how many people are out of work, how much damage has been done to global economies, how of the reaction that we have seen in the past week is a byproduct of the fear and anxiety caused by the bad science

Pharm Frog

I'll just leave this here: The next time I work with a prescription pharmaceutical that is not toxic to some extent to something for some people will be my first. And just another little thing....I've never seen a decently sized placebo-controlled trial when there was no adverse event profile associated with the placebo arm. Benefit v risk.

Latest posts