• The KillerFrogs

OFFICIAL WORLD CUP THREAD

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jul 7 2010, 08:43 PM) [snapback]594385[/snapback]
What ESPN are you listening to? I listened on the radio and heard the goal.

I heard it too. He must be listening to Cotton and Pepper on The Ocho.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
Glad to see the Germans out. I don't like their style of play. They did miss Muller immensely, though, and he shouldn't have been suspended. Still, Spain played well, and Puyol's goal was excellent.

Really looking forward to the final. I'll be supporting Holland, of course, but I'll be happy to see a new champion no matter what.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jul 7 2010, 08:43 PM) [snapback]594385[/snapback]
What ESPN are you listening to? I listened on the radio and heard the goal.

ESPNradio.com

FROGDADDY

Any predictions for the final? I'm going with Spain (although I'll be rooting for the Dutch). My dream game would be a 3-2 final decided in the waning seconds of extra time.

Trelvis

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jul 9 2010, 01:07 PM) [snapback]595346[/snapback]
Any predictions for the final? I'm going with Spain (although I'll be rooting for the Dutch). My dream game would be a 3-2 final decided in the waning seconds of extra time.

That would be greatness. I am pretty much in the same boat as you, I am rooting for Netherlands but think Spain will probably win. I am gonna say 2-1 will be the final score.

FROGDADDY

Very entertaining 3rd place game, hope the final can live up to it. Not sure I knew Diego Forlan existed before this tourney but now I'm going to be scrambling to find as many Atletico de Madrid games as I can next year (assuming he stays there). His goal yesterday was easily my favorite of the tourney. What a great talent!

FROGDADDY

Quite chippy in the early going to say the least. Not sure how DeJong didn't get a red card for that boot to the chest. Spain looks to be the better of the two sides so far but not much going on yet.

geno

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jul 11 2010, 01:01 PM) [snapback]595913[/snapback]
Quite chippy in the early going to say the least. Not sure how DeJong didn't get a red card for that boot to the chest. Spain looks to be the better of the two sides so far but not much going on yet.

Real tough game, going to overtime, no doubt. My prediction, Spain the winner in about the 121st minute of the game.

tcumaniac

QUOTE(geno @ Jul 11 2010, 05:25 PM) [snapback]595963[/snapback]
Real tough game, going to overtime, no doubt. My prediction, Spain the winner in about the 121st minute of the game.

very nice guess!!

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
QUOTE(tcumaniac @ Jul 11 2010, 05:54 PM) [snapback]595967[/snapback]
very nice guess!!

Not really. Geno was at Buffalo Wild Wings and put the call in to the ref. :biggrin:

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
Petulant, childish performance by the Dutch. Lots of dirty, chippy play. De Jong should have had a straight red, and van Bommel should have racked up two yellows at some point. I wasn't disappointed that they lost--I was disappointed in how they played. They were cynical and dirty, and they wasted the few chances that they created (ahem, Arjen Robben--you'll have a lifetime to think about that sitter you missed). Plus, they seemed not to be very sportsmanlike after the match. Congratulations to Spain, clearly the best team in the world and deserving champions.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Boston Frog @ Jul 11 2010, 07:14 PM) [snapback]595978[/snapback]
Petulant, childish performance by the Dutch. Lots of dirty, chippy play. De Jong should have had a straight red, and van Bommel should have racked up two yellows at some point. I wasn't disappointed that they lost--I was disappointed in how they played. They were cynical and dirty, and they wasted the few chances that they created (ahem, Arjen Robben--you'll have a lifetime to think about that sitter you missed). Plus, they seemed not to be very sportsmanlike after the match. Congratulations to Spain, clearly the best team in the world and deserving champions.

Agree. It was like the Dutch decided prior to the game that the only way they could beat Spain was to be very physical with them. Disappointing. Can we get a do-over? And I don't care who wins, just feel like these two teams could have treated the fans to much better.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jul 11 2010, 09:56 PM) [snapback]596011[/snapback]
Can we get a do-over? And I don't care who wins, just feel like these two teams could have treated the fans to much better.

Seriously. It was another cautious World Cup final in which both teams played not to lose. The Dutch were just much dirtier about it. The world deserved better than what Spain and Holland gave us today. Honestly, in terms of performance, I wish Uruguay, Argentina or Mexico could have progressed further. They were fun to watch most of the time. Heck, even the US put on a pretty good show. If only we had some strikers...

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Boston Frog @ Jul 11 2010, 09:37 PM) [snapback]596030[/snapback]
Seriously. It was another cautious World Cup final in which both teams played not to lose. The Dutch were just much dirtier about it. The world deserved better than what Spain and Holland gave us today. Honestly, in terms of performance, I wish Uruguay, Argentina or Mexico could have progressed further. They were fun to watch most of the time. Heck, even the US put on a pretty good show. If only we had some strikers...

How about if we just switch the 3rd place game and today's game? Had yesterday's game been the final people would be calling it one of the greatest finals of all time.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jul 11 2010, 10:39 PM) [snapback]596031[/snapback]
How about if we just switch the 3rd place game and today's game? Had yesterday's game been the final people would be calling it one of the greatest finals of all time.

So true. Everything changes when the pressure is off.

This is an incredible statistic to me: Spain won the World Cup scoring just eight goals in seven games. (The Germans scored 16, Uruguay 12, Holland 11.) Spain were the best side in the tournament and deserving winners, but the low output of goals speaks to the defense-first philosophy of football these days. Also, Iker Casillas is a great keeper, probably my player of the tournament.

Oh, and only one team went home unbeaten: New Zealand!

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Boston Frog @ Jul 11 2010, 10:56 PM) [snapback]596043[/snapback]
Oh, and only one team went home unbeaten: New Zealand!

Great stat!!! Ditto on Casillas, his girl ain't bad to look at either.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(allinfrog @ Jul 12 2010, 11:30 AM) [snapback]596128[/snapback]
What were the Dutch thinking? They were beaten before the match started. This was average football.

They decided to take the low road, and it almost worked. It was a disgusting performance by them, though. No wonder Johann Cruyff said that he was supporting Spain.

Latest posts