• The KillerFrogs

No SEC in the CFP

Endless Purple

I wish the behind the scenes were recorded with hidden camera for the TV show. Would love to see the discussions between trying to drop out a 13-0 teams vs choosing between UT and leaving out the SEC. Would be some interesting comments.

y2kFrog

This is the other item the committee has to decide. All I know is of all the teams we played this year, BYU and SMU were equally the worst (not counting Nichols).

This is the other item the committee has to decide. All I know is of all the teams we played this year, BYU and SMU were equally the worst (not counting Nichols).

I thought Baylor was worse than SMU but otherwise have no opinion on SMU v Liberty. I think it's kind of ridiculous that a G5 gets a guaranteed spot without being in the top 12 like we had to do to get into the Fiesta and Rose Bowls. I just don't get that being the best G5 team gets you playing in a NY6 even if you have no chance to be competitive which neither SMU or Liberty do.

TooColdU

I thought Baylor was worse than SMU but otherwise have no opinion on SMU v Liberty. I think it's kind of ridiculous that a G5 gets a guaranteed spot without being in the top 12 like we had to do to get into the Fiesta and Rose Bowls. I just don't get that being the best G5 team gets you playing in a NY6 even if you have no chance to be competitive which neither SMU or Liberty do.
Tulane was glad to win the Cotton bowl last year. Not like it really matters much anymore. None of these other bowl games do.

Tulane was glad to win the Cotton bowl last year. Not like it really matters much anymore. None of these other bowl games do.
Tulane was very good last season and beat Kansas State. They matched up well against USC that didn't play any defense at all. I believe the Fiesta gets the G5 team this year and they will probably be paired with one of the teams that didn't quite make the playoffs. I guess the "we don't want to be here" factor could come into play but it's hard to see how either would be competitive. SMU wasn't against TCU and I think that with the advantage they have on both interior lines and defense overall, they are better than Liberty.

That's not how it was in 2014
thewolfofwallstreet-fairydust.gif

Hemingway

That’s not the question. The question is are they comparable (yes), and if so, who has the better resume based on the criteria the committee must consider.

From the bylaws: "The CFP Committee will consider four criteria when teams are deemed comparable: championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head competition and comparative outcomes of common opponents."

Texas easily wins if they follow this criteria.

jack the frog

My bet? Florida State gets the stiffy. Satisfies the SEC zombie horde and offers the solution for the Texas/Bama problem and keeps the largest football crazy state in the game. Injured starting QB and weak strength of schedule for Florida State greases the ‘best of 4 right now’ argument.

Edit: Reading back a few pages it looks as if my theory has been widely discussed.

Last edited:

froginmn

I think the discussion about SMU'S versus Liberty's SOS is interesting. Seems simple, though. Sagarin lists Liberty at 132 and SMU at 116. But SMU lost both of those games so I don't think it's fair to boost them because of the tough SOS since the games that raised SOS were losses anyway. Remove OU and TCU from the calculation of the SOS and if that puts them close or behind give it to undefeated Liberty.

froginmn

Leave the SEC out. They lost this year in the "first round". Georgia lost last night so they are not a conference champ.

When you include three undefeated conference champions, you're left with UT or Alabama. That one was settled in Tuscaloosa.

Yes the SEC has been dominant in the playoffs but unfortunately for them this is the year that ends.

froginmn

Thought I remembered something like that but didn’t see it on their site. Said last week I thought it might be FSU if things turned out the way they have. First, they have to deem FSU and Texas/Bama comparable, which isn’t necessarily a given since one is undefeated. But if they do, FSU is in trouble. SoS is much lower than the others too.
They're going to show themselves as being a sham (in someone's eyes) regardless of what happens. What would be frustrating if they leave FSU out is that nothing changed since last week to drop them. Travis has been out for a month. Yes they looked bad on offense last night but that was with their 3rd string QB and QB2 will be back. So you should evaluate them with QB2, which you presumably did last week.

Now you're just going to drop them because Bama beat Georgia.

Just like we were a better team in December than Baylor when they beat us in 2014, Bama is a better team than UT now. I hope Bama jumps UT.

Can’t believe how many people on here want UT in the playoff. Screw them. They left us because they think they are too good to be in a conference with us. I hope they never win another of any kind of championship.

Gringo1873

Just like we were a better team in December than Baylor when they beat us in 2014, Bama is a better team than UT now. I hope Bama jumps UT.

Can’t believe how many people on here want UT in the playoff. Screw them. They left us because they think they are too good to be in a conference with us. I hope they never win another of any kind of championship.
They left us to make more money. We shouldn't take it personally.

y2kFrog

I love how no one realizes how much of a factor the fact that everyone hates Texas is going to be. This was already evident last week when the committee placed them seventh. They’ve annoyed almost everyone around the CFB world. Oh, and how is a team that barely beat our goof ball team less than a month ago really have a chance?