• The KillerFrogs

Nebraska fires AD

Horny 4 Life

I know Shawn from law school and he is right behind CDC on the list of Athletic Directors that I respect. It's a shame Nebraska gave him a short leash on this.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
The only thing that would save them is to turn the clock back to 1995. Without the Texas recruiting exposure from the B12 and the questionable characters from prop 48, their place as a mediocre B1G team, with an occasional good season, is assured.

Realtorfrog

Would benefit greatly from a return to the old stomping grounds! The boring play of the big 10 can't compete with the atmosphere and style of play of other conferences. I mean psu and Iowa this weekend on national tv...... no thanks!!

Yes a few big 10 teams are relevant but they still play slow boring football. I wonder who the bagman is?

Hilarious. Just yesterday the university president came out with the proverbial assertion of confidence in Eichorst. So everybody knew the axe was going to fall -- just didn't expect it to be so soon. He made two big mistakes -- hiring an aging nonentity of a football coach who is only feathering his retirement nest and firing a very successful women's basketball coach because she yelled at a snowflake -- and the WBB team is now the joke of the conference. The MBB program has been a joke for 20 years and the only jewel left in NU's sports crown is the women's volleyball program.

Nebraska caught lightning in a bottle with Devaney and Osborne. Very probably could have extended it with Solich except that our AD at the time seemed on a mission to destroy the program. He succeeded all too well.

Then with all this going on Osborne gets pissed at Texas and decides to court the B1G. At first they didn't want to expand past 11 but Nebraska met their standard of being an AAU member and had some ties to Iowa and Minnesota, so they let them in.

Within five years NU was booted out of the AAU (granted, on a technicality but still stripped of membership) and is by far the lowest ranking B1G school in USN&WR rankings (like 125 or so). The football team, having lost its traditional moorings and recruiting grounds, couldn't compete with other B1G schools in Ohio or Pennsylvania, so they began living on a diet of talented players but of, shall we say, marginal character and work ethic, from California and Florida. No more great hulking 300-lb linemen right off the farm. When that didn't work they went with an Ohio guy (Pelini) to try to upgrade recruiting, but soured on him when it became obvious his rough edges were disquieting to some of our more genteel university administrators.

It's appropriate to go back and look at the press clippings from the time Solich was fired -- the AD (Steve Pedersen) made a big deal about a 9-3 season being "unacceptable" to NU and not letting the program "slip into mediocrity".

Mediocrity now seems like a goal for this place.

dawg

They also benefited greatly when there were only a handful of "big-time" programs who had games on TV and were legit contenders. Nowadays, recruits who want to compete for MNCs have far more options than spending four years in picturesque Lincoln, NE.

Once they went to the B1G conference they cut the state of Texas connection for recruiting. They became a program that now has to recruit nationally and be compared to other teams that need to recruit all over the USA. It's really hurt that program.

They need a coach that can scheme with lesser talent or with a system that recruits different kind of athlete that most don't target like Georgia Tech has. Or they need a big name coach that can really reach out into other states or a coach has recruiting roots in known hot bed state.

If I was Nebraska I would take a good hard look at Chad Morris. He has deep relationships with Texas high school coaches and a great offensive scheme that almost nullifies the talent of the opponent.