• The KillerFrogs

Media Deal

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
As I understand it the 3rd tier rights are not part of the espn fox agreement, but the conference will own them. Thus the 3rd tier rights will be sold to a streamer like Amazon Prime.

JogginFrog

Aggregating everything I've seen/heard from BY and what I'm hearing from you regarding this deal it seems to me BY is strategically positioning the B12 to go after Oregon, U Dub, Clemson, and FSU in 2030. That would mean a 16 team league like the SEC and B1G, would bring 4 gargantuan TV draws into the conference, truly take us to a coast to coast conference, and possibly put us on equal footing with the B1G and SEC. There would essentially be 3 power football conferences at that point and we'd be one of them.

If we don't see movement really soon for a 4 corners group I'll grow increasingly more convinced that this is BY's plan.
This analysis suggests the Big 12 may be moving more quickly. Getting the pro rata clause in there was key for expansion, as was the speed. (On that note, I'll offer a mea culpa for recent comments critical of BY for moving too slowly).

The deal is large enough that it keeps the Big 12 viable and will make it appealing to PAC presidents ready to take a sure thing over a big swing with the streamers.

That analysis also mentions San Diego State, the first media mention I've seen about its viability as an expansion candidate. I think SDSU will be leverage to get PAC schools to get off the fence. Kliavkoff better not get caught watching the pitch; don't see how he convinces all of the PAC presidents to wait it out, especially when alum (edit)expect to see games on networks(/edit). The B1G invitation isn't coming.

Last edited:

Purp

This analysis suggests the Big 12 may be moving more quickly. Getting the pro rata clause in there was key for expansion, as was the speed. (On that note, I'll offer a mea culpa for recent comments critical of BY for moving too slowly).

The deal is large enough that it keeps the Big 12 viable and will make it appealing to PAC presidents ready to take a sure thing over a big swing with the streamers.

That analysis also mentions San Diego State, the first media mention I've seen about its viability as an expansion candidate. I think SDSU will be leverage to get PAC schools to get off the fence. Kliavkoff better not get caught watching the pitch; don't see how he convinces all of the PAC presidents to wait it out, especially when alum. The B1G invitation isn't coming.
I'm not so sure the pro rata clause isn't for U Dub and Oregon.

Put a different way, let's say for the sake of argument that the PAC gets an exact payout per school as the B12 just got. I doubt it happens, but let's say it does. U Dub and Oregon aren't going to want to sign onto a GOR in the PAC for that amount with equal distribution.

Now they can call BY and say let us into the new B12 deal and suddenly that per school payout in the B12 swells substantially for everyone. U Dub and Oregon won't owe anything to leave the PAC b/c there would be no GOR and they could enter as full members making $10MM/year or more than they could have in the PAC with equal distribution. Then they'd have to sign the B12 GOR, but that's only for a short 5-6 years and that's not too intimidating. They wouldn't get a B1G invite until 2030ish anyway.